Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 months post op and still experiencing gas and constipation.

It's been 3 months since my surgery (gastric sleeve) and I'm still experiencing gas and Constipation. Is anyone else experiencing this after 3 months?

Yes, I am 9 months post op and I have had chronic Constipation since surgery. I have rushed to the ER at least 4 times over the past several months because of severe abdominal pain. Scans, xrays, etc. They always find that I am severely backed up and that is the root of my ongoing pain.

My surgeon told me that some people do experience ongoing costipation after sleeve surgery.

I am currently taking Linzess, which my gastro doctor has me on. It is a strong dosage and it is not heping. I was also told to take 2 full doses of Miralax a day, so I am doing that. Nothing is really heping me. I just started taking a probiotic called Phillip's Colon Health. Many people who are taking it say that it helps keep them regular. I hope it will help.

Sorry to hear that you are struggling with this too. I hope it gets better for you. If you haven't told your doctor about it, then please do.

Edited by mylighthouse

My doctor has patients use Benefiber daily starting at 8 weeks. Said it was to be taken as a preventative dosage. Then add in Colace or Miralax if more than 3 days goes by. So far the Benefiber has been enough.

Hope you can find something that works for you.

I added miralax a few days after surgery and have been regular since. It's a different regular but still frequent enough that I stopped miralax after 3 days

@KateBruin how often should I use the miralax? I have the miralax packages tht my doc gave me but I only use it once a day. Haven't helped me much.

@mylighthouse thanks so much. I picked up the Phillips colon health today. I hope these new regiments work.

I have been taking Miralax for the past year, every morning. I started taking it 2 months post op after suffering with horrible Constipation. I have tried to take it every other day, or stop completely, but find myself suffering. I was always very regular pre surgery, so I really hate how I feel if I don't have a BM every day! So I just take it every day, and feel great.

Sent from my SM-N920V using BariatricPal mobile app

@mylighthouse, how about our stories sound the same. I had my surgery Oct 4,2017 and I've had chronic Constipation since.
Ok so I was on linzess for 1yr and it helped in the beginning but stopped. Then the gastro placed me on the next medicine which didn't help at all. So my daily doses of mineral oil and mom's, that's milk of magnesia....I also take a stool softener 2x a day. Nothing. This is the worst situation EVER. I've added the Phillips in the lineup but nothing. The drs have now sent me to the surgeon that preformed my sleeve to remove part of my intestines. I can't recall the name of the procedure but for me, I've suffered from this for years, since I started having my kids. My food doesn't digest like the normal person does. So I took this dye test with eggs and after 90 minutes your food is suppose to be in a certain part of the stomach, mines is still like I just swallowed it. I keep indigestion and heartburn. Idk about anyone else, but the first bowel movement for me after surgery was in February, and my surgery was oct 4. I had to go to the emergency room because I was severely impacted. They're now sending me through this study for severe constipation at the medical training facility here in Pensacola. I've actually had to drink the citrus magnesium bottles everyday and I don't go. So once I find out anything from my study that does help me go, I'll pass on the Info because this is a painful way to live