Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A whole new life

I'm a week out today! I haven't eaten solids in 9 days. I feel like the world is going on without me. My entire old life is null and void at this point. I'm off work for a month due to healing and my lovely new liquids only diet. All my friends work. My unemployed roommate/bf goes on the same as always, eating everything in sight, and acting like it's no big deal. I feel like I can't go out with friends because I don't fit in their social life anymore. I can't go out for a bite, because I can't eat. I can't go shopping because I'm shrinking --it's a good thing. I'm not ready to walk miles like I used to. I feel so alone. NO one here understands. I don't know what I thought was going to happen after surgery, but at this moment I feel like I'm trapped on my own island. LIke Tom Hanks in Castaway. Except no WIlson!!

I know I'm probably being a whiner now, I apologize for anyone I offend. I know I did this to myself. I get reminded constantly by bf whenever I say anything. I guess I need to find some new hobbies, with new people.Nothing to do with food, or shopping. I don't know what to do. Has anyone else felt like this? Just got back from Walmart with him-for me-Dannon Oikos non-fat Greek Yogurt, plain. For him, pecan pie, frozen burrito, jug of juice, bottle of wine, piece of bbq pork roast. Last night we watched the Seahawks Game. Him-15 chicken wings, popcorn, beer, ice cream. For me 1/2 cup of homemade eggdrop Soup, and 1/4 cup Protein pudding.

I think I just need to go away!!

You shouldn't feel bad about speaking your truth. I'm only on the third day of liquid diet before my surgery and I'm about to grab food from my co-workers and shove it in my mouth. I wont because I know it will all be worth it in the end. As for Castaway....I would eat Wilson right now! Our friends were going to my favorite restaurant last night and I wanted to cry. I'm having the same thoughts ,what do I do. Everything we do is around food. What kind of hobbies can we do? I'm praying that it gets easier for you.

I'm really sorry he's not a bit more supportive. The first few weeks are weird and kind of lonely. Lots of people do go out with friends. I did go out to eat early on and it was ok but definitely weird at first. I went on Pinterest and pinned recipes for when I could eat, clothes I wanted to wear, and vacations I wanted to take (booked one!). Life will feel more normal soon. Use this time for you. Do things that bring you joy. Buy scented lotions you can't grow out of those. Fun jewelry. Makeup. I'm not trying to break the bank but you can still shop. [emoji3]
It'll get better. This part kind of sucks but then it's awesome!

Watch TV or movies. Read a book. Play computer games. Sort through your clothes and organize them by sizes . . . what can you get rid of? What's for next month? What's for the month after?

If you're tough, look though recipes on the Internet for down the line. You could even cook, making Bone Broth for now or Soup for later.

When it comes to shopping, how about buying one outfit that's three or four sizes smaller than you are now? Keep it for inspiration--you'll actually wear it eventually!

Hang in there . . . you can do this.

Thanks very much to all of you. I was sitting here in tears, feeling so lonesome. Like I didn't fit in anywhere. You ladies helped me more than you know. You helped me to know that I'm not crazy!! I felt like I was! I wonder if Wilson would taste better than the broth at the hospital? I bet he would.

Jesus, your boyfriend sounds like an @sshole. I totally understand that he didn't have surgery and doesn't have to change his lifestyle, but it wouldn't kill him to be a little more considerate in the first few months.

The first month can be very difficult emotionally. I've seen people literally fall apart and get sloppy wet crying face feeling that they were a failure because they had to resort to surgery. Those same people today are happier than ever and more confident than they have ever been since I have known them.

Stay the course, follow the plan, and things will get better.

I am 7 and 1/2 weeks out and I can tell you it will get better! There is also a hormonal component to how lousy you feel.... this too shall pass. You took a step to becoming a heather better version of yourself , I is a wonderful thing!
I would be lying if I said it was all perfect and easy and I would love a beer... but 44llbs later and for the first time in a very long time, Lane Bryant has nothing I fit into!
You will be able to eat much more normally and even go out, I have...
But like you I had huge buyers remorse, and shame for being a failure in my own.
Every day now I remember that no matter how lousy and sad I feel, I felt much worse pre op. You did a good thing :)

Thanks very much to all of you. I was sitting here in tears, feeling so lonesome. Like I didn't fit in anywhere. You ladies helped me more than you know. You helped me to know that I'm not crazy!! I felt like I was! I wonder if Wilson would taste better than the broth at the hospital? I bet he would.

Lol! Willlssooooon!

Everyone had really kind words to say.

Even though it seems serious and long long now. This is really a short period of your life. I'm 2 years post-op. I live a very normal life at this point. You woupd never know I had WLS if you spent the day with me. I had Jimmy John's for lunch while waiting for ny car to be cleaned. I'm at a mall right now eating again, fish and shrimp. I'm going to walk around this mall, try on clothes and hit GNC on the way out for a snack.

This post surgery isolation is a great time to form good habits so when you hang out with your friends later you can easily make good choices. Think of this as your training period. Life will br back to normal sooner than you think.

I have a question, and I'm having trouble finding the answer, but since people have the monthly loss thing, and tickers that seem to get updated, how do you update them? I'd like to update mine. I'm now 195, down from 198 a couple of days ago.

At the top right-hand side of your screen, you will see your profile picture. Click on it and you will find a drop down menu with "My Surgery" listed. Once you click on that, click on "Progress" on the left side of your screen and update your weight.

Edited by Strivingforbetter