Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm a fan of loose, comfy clothes and I figure I'll continue to be--but I don't see how they'll allow me to gain weight without noticing if I'm weighing myself at least once a week?

I'm a fan of loose, comfy clothes and I figure I'll continue to be--but I don't see how they'll allow me to gain weight without noticing if I'm weighing myself at least once a week?

If you're weighing you should be fine. I was doing none of that. Not weighing, not examining my outfits in the mirror before work like I used to, and bumming around in loose clothes. I was just burying my head really.

1 hour ago, SIPS'ing on Sunshine said:

This does make sense, I will keep it in mind once I am fully healed and transition to solid foods. Still a week away from purées emoji4.png

Band to SIPS/SA-DI/LOOP DS 8.8.17
HT: 5'6ish HW: 242 SW: 226 CW: 206 GW: Healthy

One thing to keep in mind is not to have things too tight on your rib cage post-op. It can cause heartburn and a lot of discomfort.

A proper fitting bra is a must, one that doesn't fit properly will be hell. Just like shoes, too large hurts more than too small.

Also, I don't understand the magic of plus sized clothes but you can gain or lose 20 to 30 pounds and they still fit. Normal sizes 5 to 8 pound either way and you have to go up or down a size. Another reason I think most long term successful people seem to be the people that get completely out of plus sizes. Your regular size clothes have a lot more accountability built in.

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

I went from a 34/36 (11/2015) to a now a 14 (09/2017), you bet I move on to new sizes when the opportunity presents itself. We worked hard to get our bodies back, no more covering it up. I'm on my work computer and can't get to my updated pictures, but this is from 04/2017, I'm smaller now. Embrace your change, we wanted this (for the best reasons).

18121536_10155169942441774_7881247382795816627_o.jpg

13319895_10154164353851774_6916244502510153400_n.jpg

18121855_10155169945456774_4089647469149651097_o.jpg

7 minutes ago, Berry78 said:

I love the statue.. but where is her loose skin??!! Lol!!

RIGHT!!! LOL :D

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 3:22 PM, XYZXYZXYZ1955 said:

As someone who almost never wears clothes with "x", but rather sized clothes (need to wear professional tailored clothes/suits for work), there is a big difference when you can no longer fit into your clothes.

While this wasn't the deciding factor, without question one of the contributing factors in getting WLS was when my size 24 pants started to get too tight. It was just like the final straw.

Now I am wearing 18s. This weekend I bought a pair of silk palazzo pants and was shocked when the 18 was too big around my waist. Those pants were an anomaly - but it was still kind of disorienting to put a pair of 16s on that fit.

Loose comfy clothes are fine for lounging around the house, exercising, etc., but I like the kind of life that requires me to dress great, wear tailored clothes, identify the silhouettes that work best for my body type.

I am ruthless with clothes that don't fit with a few exceptions (items that I am considering getting altered). They get cleaned, folded and put in a bag for donation.

I understand that this is what works for you--we just have very different lives. I work at home, so I can wear my nightgown if I feel like it. I can't remember ever feeling comfortable in very tailored clothes, no matter what my weight was. Maybe I'll feel differently when I've reached my goal, but I doubt it very much. I'd just be happy to buy some regular-sized yoga pants, say, And a few pretty dresses with some sex appeal.

I understand that this is what works for you--we just have very different lives. I work at home, so I can wear my nightgown if I feel like it. I can't remember ever feeling comfortable in very tailored clothes, no matter what my weight was. Maybe I'll feel differently when I've reached my goal, but I doubt it very much. I'd just be happy to buy some regular-sized yoga pants, say, And a few pretty dresses with some sex appeal.

I'm the same, I work from home too. I've never owned tailored clothes. Always been an off the rack girl. I did wear my sz 16 shorts to the fair yesterday.
Kept having to pull them up. Still scared about anything touching my incisions.

Band to SIPS/SA-DI/LOOP DS 8.8.17
HT: 5'6ish HW: 242 SW: 226 CW: 206 GW: Healthy

I tried on clothes the week after surgery - I had to dress professionally for an event and nothing fit! Between the pre op diet (lost 40 pounds) and the effects of the surgery my entire work wardrobe hung off me. So off to goodwill I went and then to Walmart, and clearance racks at other stores. Now that I'm back to work I had to have professional clothes. I'm afraid of the future costs, but wouldn't change the surgery deciding ever. Best choice I made recently! I did hide the scale because it's not moving but clothing size I've gone from a 26 to 16W.

Try on often. I missed out on some clothes in my closet because I didn't think they would fit, and when I finally tried them on, they were way too big. At one point I dropped a whole size in 2 weeks. No kidding. And in the same 2 weeks, the scale didn't really budge.

I have gone from a 18 to 6-10 at this point, depending on brand and material.

It only gets worse the farther out you are, too. I remember the first 50 pounds, I feel like I only dropped 1 size or so. I could still wear the same clothes. Now, every 10-15 pounds I feel like I go down a size...I keep sizing out of my cute new non-plus-size clothes. XD

I cant wait to go "shopping" in my closet lmao.. i have lost 50lbs in the past and of course i gained that plus more but i did a lot of shopping back then cause i just swore to myself i would neeeevvvveeer gain the weight back , but i did and i held onto every piece of clothing that i brought no matter what i thought was or wasn't gonna happen....

21 hours ago, XYZXYZXYZ1955 said:

That is exactly how I got massive. I work from home. I can wear whatever I want. Sitting around all day in lounge clothes and only getting dressed in normal clothes every once in a while allowed me to easily balloon in size and not notice it.

You said you are weighing yourself so it shouldn't be an issue for you, but I am just telling my story.

I weigh myself and keep accountability in my clothes. I also started getting dressed every day for work, even though I am in the house alone. I found that I work better, I am more focused and it creates better work life balance/lines. I get up shower, and get dressed just like I am going to work, and it helps create boundaries. You are still early post-op, but you might want to make some changes for long term success, your changes might not be like my changes, but sometimes you have to change other things that seem unrelated to make WLS work in the long term. Lifestyle changes are the only way to make this easy/effective long term.

I work from home and live alone, I have made a lot of lifestyle adjustments in the past 3 years to create more structure in my home work environment because it was allowing me to eat and gain weight with no stops. I can cook all my meals, which also means I can eat all day and there is no one to judge me or notice I am eating all day or making bad choices. I have no set breaks or lunches. I can basically do whatever I want because not only do I work from home, I work for myself. I don't have anyone to answer to. I was eating any time of the day, any amount. That is why I started intermittent fasting before surgery to create some boundaries on when I could eat and it helped cut my calories.

As some other people said try on clothes in your closet all the time. A lot of my clothes by the time I got around to trying them on, they were too big.

46 minutes ago, OutsideMatchInside said:

That is exactly how I got massive. I work from home. I can wear whatever I want. Sitting around all day in lounge clothes and only getting dressed in normal clothes every once in a while allowed me to easily balloon in size and not notice it.

You said you are weighing yourself so it shouldn't be an issue for you, but I am just telling my story.

I weigh myself and keep accountability in my clothes. I also started getting dressed every day for work, even though I am in the house alone. I found that I work better, I am more focused and it creates better work life balance/lines. I get up shower, and get dressed just like I am going to work, and it helps create boundaries. You are still early post-op, but you might want to make some changes for long term success, your changes might not be like my changes, but sometimes you have to change other things that seem unrelated to make WLS work in the long term. Lifestyle changes are the only way to make this easy/effective long term.

I work from home and live alone, I have made a lot of lifestyle adjustments in the past 3 years to create more structure in my home work environment because it was allowing me to eat and gain weight with no stops. I can cook all my meals, which also means I can eat all day and there is no one to judge me or notice I am eating all day or making bad choices. I have no set breaks or lunches. I can basically do whatever I want because not only do I work from home, I work for myself. I don't have anyone to answer to. I was eating any time of the day, any amount. That is why I started intermittent fasting before surgery to create some boundaries on when I could eat and it helped cut my calories.

As some other people said try on clothes in your closet all the time. A lot of my clothes by the time I got around to trying them on, they were too big.

Interestingly (or not), that's not how I put on weight. I put weight on slowly but steadily for decades after I was in a car accident, but while I was employed in various offices, getting up and showering and dressing and going off to work. For the decade or so that I have been self-employed, my weight remained about the same--too much, but not increasing.

As they say, your mileage may vary. I'm changing plenty in this journey--I just don't anticipate changing my style of clothing significantly. I'm anticipating getting rid of clothes I've owned and worn for decades (yeah, style isn't a big issue, either) and getting an entirely new wardrobe. I'm excited about that. I'm just pretty sure it won't be tailored!