Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

questions for those who have had a baby post-op

I am about 11 months out from my gastric bypass and plan to start trying to conceive my first child once I hit the 2 year mark. I have read mixed information about pregnancy after the surgery, so I thought I'd ask you guys for your experiences.

Did you struggle with getting the nutrients you and baby needed? If so, what did you do that helped with this?

Did you develop gestational diabetes?

Was a c-section necessary?

How big was baby at birth?

Was a NICU stay necessary?

Were you able to breastfeed?

How much weight did you gain during pregnancy and how much of that did you lose after baby was born?

Any advice for things I could do now to be better prepared?

Thank you so much to anyone who answers! I know I am getting ahead of myself being more than a year away, but having a baby was the biggest reason I decided to have this surgery to begin with, so it's something I've had on my mind for a while now.

Edited by haleyelizabeth

I was sleeved in Aug 2014 and lost 130lbs and got to my goal weight of 165lbs. In January 2017 I got pregnant (not on purpose) and had my baby Oct 2017. My starting weight when I got pregnant was 172 and I gained about 43lbs. I am down to 195lb so I still have about 25-30 to lose.

I had my first child (July 2009) when I was 270lbs and everything was MUCH harder and I only gained 19lbs. I ended up having a c-section with him but I am not convinced that was weight related so much as it was a provider issue. He was 8.4lbs (I am 5'10) but I measure super small during both pregnancies. I didn't have gestational diabetes with either pregnancy. With second baby weighed 8.8lbs and I measured small (several weeks behind) as well. I was unable to breastfeed either baby but that is unrelated to weight. Definitely concentrate on yourself first and THEN get pregnant. As almost a 4 year veteran I am struggling to get the baby weight off and it gets much harder as you get further out because your pouch isn't as restrictive. Plus during pregnancy you will find a way to eat more.

As for deliveries- I had a unnecessary c-section with my first and a successful VBAC with my last in Oct '17. Find a provider that is supportive of low intervention methods and willing to wait it out and let you move during labor. There was an 8 year gap between my deliveries and had I known then what I know now I wouldn't have had to a c-section the first time.

Did you struggle with getting the nutrients you and baby needed? If so, what did you do that helped with this? I became pregnant only 2 months post op. This was unplanned and not thought to even be possible. I feel like as long as you hit your Protein and fluid goals and take your Vitamins you are fine. The baby will take everything it needs from you and will not suffer.

Did you develop gestational diabetes? unfortunately yes I did. I had PCOS prior to my VSG and family history of type 2 diabetes. I did insulin for the last 2 weeks of my pregnancy.

Was a c-section necessary? only because baby was breech. My Water broke at 37 weeks and he was still breech.

How big was baby at birth? 7lbs 15 ounces. But he came at 37 weeka.

Was a NICU stay necessary? no

Were you able to breastfeed? no but this was do to non related issues.

How much weight did you gain during pregnancy and how much of that did you lose after baby was born? i lost 22lbs my first tri and then gained 12. Once baby came I lost 19lbs and currently 66lbs total weightloss. Baby was born 1/16/18 so just getting ready to get back at it and continue my journey.

Any advice for things I could do now to be better prepared? i would say really stick to those healthy eating habits. Focus on protien and fluids. It's really easy to eat poorly when pregnant. I wish I had made better choices as getting back on track is harder for me now.

Best wishes to you in your journey.

I have not had surgery yet or been pregnant but I did ask my surgeon about pregnancy after surgery. It's my main reason for surgery. He said that I should continue to take my 4 Vitamins a day (Bariatric Fusion) when pregnant and then take a prenatal on top of that. The 4 a day are for me and my needs, the prenatal is for the baby. Makes sense to me.