Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cereal and the soft foods diet

I'm wondering, does Cereal in milk count as a soft food?

I'm wondering, does cereal in milk count as a soft food?

Oatmeal cream of wheat grits

My dr said no sugar cereal is ok... let it sit in the milk to soften and chew chew chew!!!!

Cereal can be soft. A question to ask yourself is whether cereal is the best choice. It has quite a few calories, but almost no Protein.

Protein foods include yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs, Beans, and soft meats like tuna salad or soft white fish.

If you are getting plenty of protein and need calories, then cereal IS a good idea. It all depends on how your eating day unfolds.

Since my surgery, I haven't touched cereal. One, I would only be able to eat several spoonfuls, and the rest would be a wrap. Two, it has way toooooo many carbs and other junk. Three, I enjoy losing weight and would prefer that cereal not be the reason, I gain.

I also have not touched cereal, but I'm not opposed to it. The point is to control it and not let it control you.

On 8/30/2017 at 9:30 PM, Véronique said:

Cereal in milk count as a soft food?

I will say NO

i love cereal

Special K has 10gr Protein - milk 6gr of protein

carbs 19gr - sugars 7gr:wacko:

calories 120 - milk 40

when you add milk to cereal you are - per MY NUT

having liquid w/a meal (like having Water w/a meal)

ah, ah, ah - not supposed to "eat and drink"

being almost 6 years old VET- i will have the

occasional treat of milk and cereal together - but it's

not the best choice, especially for newbies

do as i say, not as i do!!!

kathy

Of course, I am aware that in order to make this a success, I need to be very intentional about it.

I know exactly what you're asking about but I think some people aren't quite as sure given the judgy, albeit helpful, comments.

On my 2nd week post-op sample menu, it recommends regular, unsweetened cheerios with low fat milk or almond milk, and let the cereal sit to get soggy. We're talking about a couple of tablespoons, folks. No one is going to sabotage their surgery doing this. It's perfectly fine if you can physically handle it.

2 hours ago, Whogoesthere said:

I know exactly what you're asking about but I think some people aren't quite as sure given the judgy, albeit helpful, comments.

On my 2nd week post-op sample menu, it recommends regular, unsweetened cheerios with low fat milk or almond milk, and let the Cereal sit to get soggy. We're talking about a couple of tablespoons, folks. No one is going to sabotage their surgery doing this. It's perfectly fine if you can physically handle it.

Totally agree! My soft food phase samples included soft cheese and crackers and I ate the heck out of all 4 crackers....lol. This is a very personal journey and only the person living it understands their ability to control themselves. I think that its hard for some (including sometimes myself) to look beyond their journey and the way they do things and answer the questions objectively.

So.... @proudgrammy ...about the liquid cereal thing ....then where does homemade beef vegetable Soup fit in here?

Yes it has liquid, but it is very nutritious -mine has lots of meat, dried Beans, lots of vegetables, etc.

Depends on which post-op stage you're in. It should all be pureed or chewed until liquidy until you're able to handle foods.

ooooops dup

sorry

2 hours ago, Sosewsue61 said:

liquid Cereal thing .... where does homemade beef vegetable Soup fit in here?

@Sosewsue61

my NUT told me about the cereal

but I agree with your analogy too

once again shows alll NUTS are not

created equally - your Soup sounds

great, i'll come over next time you

want to share and talk

thanx for "setting me straight";)

kathy