Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Vegetarians or Vegans Who've Had the Gastric Sleeve?

There is a thread going on right now...

https://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/400107-proteinaholic-by-dr-garth-davis/?page=22#comment-4512445

Essentially you'll have to rely on Protein Shakes for... months, if not the first year.

I'm not vegetarian or vegan but I'm not a fan of meat/chicken/fish etc. I've been making Soups with lots of Beans and Protein Powder that you can stir in. You can also get sugar free waters with added Protein to boost it. Only problem would be dairy intake. Good luck!

Sent from my LG-H850 using BariatricPal mobile app

I have been transitioning to WFPB for about 2.5 weeks. I am still eating a little bit of dairy mostly yogurt and whey Protein which is in the shake I drink every morning.

I was 3 months post-op on Aug. 15th, and I feel that because I am almost at goal already, and I am completely healed, there is no reason to consume more than about 50-55g of protein a day. I make a shake for Breakfast which has 20g and then I am able to get another 25-35g through eating legumes, whole grain brown rice, fruits and veggie, nuts, and seeds.. I would not be able to consume enough food to meet my protein goals without drinking the morning shake everyday. My restriction is still too much to allow me to eat much more than I am. I think some people maybe able to eat more or even less so you will have to see how you do.

I am doing fine eating this way and I am still losing weight. I am not hungry and I am not worried at all about my health or progress.

Congrats on switching to vegan! Such a great choice, I've never looked back when I went in 2003. I had RNY, but I've had no problem at all getting Protein, I don't even need to pay attention to it and I still get more than what's required by my doc.

Edited by fruitandveggies

I, too, went Whole Foods plant based a few weeks back, I had the sleeve. I don't worry about my Protein levels (nor anything else). I believe that my WFPB diet will take care of itself. And so far so good, my labwork came back awesome. Nothing my doc to worry about or deficiency in anything either. Still losing weight but even better...I'm getting healthier too. 😊

On 8/30/2017 at 4:27 PM, Berry78 said:

There is a thread going on right now...

https://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/400107-proteinaholic-by-dr-garth-davis/?page=22#comment-4512445

Essentially you'll have to rely on Protein Shakes for... months, if not the first year.

Thanks Berry! 👍🏾

On 8/30/2017 at 5:32 PM, Supernovae said:

I'm not vegetarian or vegan but I'm not a fan of meat/chicken/fish etc. I've been making Soups with lots of Beans and Protein Powder that you can stir in. You can also get sugar free waters with added Protein to boost it. Only problem would be dairy intake. Good luck!

Sent from my LG-H850 using BariatricPal mobile app

Thank you, Supernovae. This is helpful. 😊

5 hours ago, Frmbandtosleeve said:

Thanks, everyone, for your inout, suggestions and support. I'm excited about my vegan journey. 😊🍆🍠🍓🍇

You're welcome hon. I'm excited with you! Come join us on the Proteinaholic thread. 😊

I just found (and joined) this group, so please forgive me if you've already answered this. We have chosen to eat vegan and Plant Based Diets, but we've just been doing this for two weeks. I completed the pre-op requirements for the Sleeve surgery this week. So, now I'm searching for a Protein replacement shake that will meet the surgeons requirements for Meal Replacement and will not contain animal protein. To make things even more difficult, I cannot tolerate any artificial sweetener other than stevia. Has anyone found a protein meal replacement Vegan shake? I did try one of the Vega One (Vanilla Chai) shakes and it was fine, but I don't know if it has everything the doctors want in the meal replacement.

Vegan here! If you use 1/3 cup of plain soy Protein that accounts for 20g of protein. They dissolve nicely in a small.volume of 10oz of soy/almond milk (unsweetened!). Add one or two ice cubes and some unsweetened juice (1oz) and you are good to go!