Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had surgery on Thursday and I have not gone to the bathroom since last Wednesday. It will be a week tomorrow. Is this normal or should I be concerned. I don't feel bloated or even have the feeling that I have to go. I'm getting concerned should I take a stool softener. Is this normal? Should I take something or just let it happen when it happens. Sorry to much info[emoji45]

You do need to take something. I like enemas because of their immediate effect (schedule 30 minutes in the bathroom). I did them every other day for the first couple weeks until I could start taking Fiber.

Miralax might help too. Smooth Move tea, etc.

Ultimately you need a goal of going a minimum of 3 times a week.

While I am new to the VSG community I am currently employed in healthcare, and yes please do take something because it is WAY past time for you to void! I am not sure what your Dr said that you could take but my Dr made it perfectly clear to us not to use anything other than Milk of Magnesia I am not sure why but he knows more about this than I do so I followed his orders. Not telling you to try it but to talk to your Dr to see what is acceptable as I know some products may cause cramping or other GI issues. Good luck and I hope that the problem works its way out!

My bowel movements severely slowed down after surgery and actually still has (TMI)! This scared me a lot too but my doctor had prepared me for it and gave me instructions on how to handle, starting with Miralax. I want to say it was probably 5 days before my first BM and it was difficult for probably 6-8 weeks. Infrequent and painful.

Make sure you're drinking enough Water and definitely contact your doctor. You will definitely want to take a stool softener.

I think because our diets change so much it really changes our bathroom practices, for the better.

Good luck!

I've had the worst Constipation since surgery, a few times, even four days ago, I contemplated going to the ER.

In my experience, milk of magnesia works the best. If you don't have a bowel movement in two days, drink .60 ml of that stuff, it works like a charm. But don't go for a week or more or you are going to get compacted, therefore, desperate to do anything to get out of that situation, including, selling your soul to the devil to make it go away.

Aim for +80 ounces of Water a day, add benefiber into your Protein Drinks, drinks, or food, or eat an apple a day with skin on it.

I feel for you....good luck!

I second the Smooth Move tea. Much more gentle than Milk of Magnesia for me. It took about 5 days post op for me to have a "regular" BM. It was the day after I drank this. I don't drink it daily, but will drink it again when the problem occurs.

I had surgery on Thursday and I have not gone to the bathroom since last Wednesday. It will be a week tomorrow. Is this normal or should I be concerned. I don't feel bloated or even have the feeling that I have to go. I'm getting concerned should I take a stool softener. Is this normal? Should I take something or just let it happen when it happens. Sorry to much info[emoji45]

I had this issue. I really felt like I had to go, but nothing was happening and I was about 10 days out. My surgeon recommended I use a Fleet product and it helped.

I agree. Once you are getting the sensation of needing to go, it means the BM is just RIGHT THERE, and it's much more effective to get it out with an enema or suppository, than relying on oral meds. Keep in mind that the large intestine absorbs moisture, so the longer the stool sits in there, the harder and dryer it becomes.

Do a search on this thread. Long post on this topic.

My remedy on day 6 post op. 1 cup warm Water, 2 teaspoon sea salt, squeeze of lemon. Drink as fast as you can. I took about 30 minutes to drink. Wait 1-1.5 hours. It will come out.

MOM did not work for me.

Marlax did not work for me.

Don't wait until you're backed up! It's the most excruciating pain ever! Start doing something daily now.

Taking a stool softener daily is a good idea (to me) you don't want to be caught with something so large it brings tears to your eyes to pass it.
If you feel you should go, even though that doesn't seem to be a problem because those types of things happen, just take a laxative and wait for it but take that softener because you do not want, you cannot imagine what might happen your first time or second time or third time to be on the safe side take a stool softener.

Sent from my 5056N using BariatricPal mobile app