Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

As you know, DS patients have been told that they will experience terrible smelling gas and bowel movements post-op. However, that's not what I want to address. What I've noticed is the overall odor of my body chemistry. Every single Fluid that leaves my body has the same distinct, dusty smell about it. I can't describe it. It's kind of like dirty sand. My urine and everything else that's fluid that leaves my body has this odor. I'm wondering if my saliva also has this smell. Has anyone else noticed this? I'm 11 weeks post-op and honestly I can't stand this smell. Will this go away after I'm in maintenance? I've asked my family (specifically my husband) if they've noticed it, and they said they haven't.

I've noticed my sweat/body odor changed so much that I had to start using a men's deodorant because the women's wasn't working anymore

Is it possible it's due to ketosis? At least with that there could be a solution... (increasing carbs)..

Okay, I didn't know how to mention that, but I'm experiencing that too.

Ha, ha! Well, I'm glad you did. Now I don't feel alone. I have to constantly throw out my bathroom garbage and replace the liner. I walk in the bathroom, and I can smell it. Why can't anyone else in my family smell it?? It's horrible. I feel like I smell like a grandpa. I guess I should say grandma, but grandpa comes to mind when I smell it.

Edited by Strivingforbetter

After surgery, the odor of my breath changed. I didn't notice it but my wife sure did. She described it as the smell of death. As a result, she has me take breath mints before she let's me out in public.

I understand what you are saying, but I can say this much, My sense of smell is thru the roof!! My taste totally changed too Things I loved before my RNY I can't stand now. I always had a great sense of smell but...this is ridiculous I can not stand the smell of Garlic or onions cooking. Both I loved before. I smell cigarette smoke all the time. Neither of us smoke. I say it is because almost all of our neighbors are smokers...but I sure don't know that is why I smell it. I live in a Senior Mobile Home Park and 5 out of 6 around me smoke. No-one else can smell it. Weird I know. So what you might be doing is a SUPER SMELLER!!! Just a thought. I hope it all works out for you too. Take care.

My body odor has changed too. I'm 10 weeks post op and since my surgery I have not needed to wear anti perspirant. I used to use natural deodorant but would need to use antiperspirant every other day otherwise I could smell the BO. Now I don't get BO at all. Weird. I still sweat but there's no bad smell! (I am still using the natural)

21 hours ago, Berry78 said:

Is it possible it's due to ketosis? At least with that there could be a solution... (increasing carbs)..

I think this is what it is. It reminds me of how Water tastes when it comes out of old pipes. Icky. So when I'm in maintenance and increase my carbs it will go away? I'm hoping that this isn't permanent because I'm a DS patient and don't absorb nutrients like other people.

My understanding is you'll absorb carbs about normally. Proteins and fats, not so much. (Confirm this with your doc).

50g of absorbed carbs is likely enough to knock you out of ketosis... so it's possible to get out of ketosis during the weight loss phase. Discuss the possibility with your team if you are interested.

Personally I got out of ketosis 2 weeks postop and haven't had trouble with weight loss... but everyone is different in that regard.

Hmmm....my carbs run higher than 50 g, so I shouldn't be in ketosis. Lucky me, I get the odor anyway. Maybe it's not ketosis. I've lost every week since my surgery, however. (Now I've probably jinxed myself.)

They have something called ketosis test strips. You can test your urine to see if you are in ketosis. (Will wonders never cease, right?) The 50g line is a general number, still may not apply to you specifically.

As posted on another thread:

Ok, so a preliminary google search HAS turned up several books that coorelate DS and stool/body odor. Also several Bariatric practices mention the same.

So, I feel comfortable saying that malodor is a relatively common side effect of the DS.

What to do about it.. there were several references to dietary control. Carbs can cause it (that's a new one on me! There must be a fine line between being in ketosis (keto breath!) and too many carbs...), as can too much fat intake.

Other than controlling diet, there are internal deodorizers, such as chlorophyl and Devrom, that can help remove the odors.

RNY doesn't result in odor issues as often as DS, but it can happen. It's the malabsorption component that causes it.