Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I regret this surgery

I'm wondering a bit whether one's age affects the emotions involved--specifically the hormones--as I think most of the women on here are much younger than I am. I'm no longer in possession of a uterus and associated elements, so not subject to the hormonal fluctuations many are. I'm kind of generically not a weeper, either, so there's no tears here. I don't regret the surgery but I am so sick of Protein Shakes I could scream!! When I read the comment on here to have a fudgesicle, I was like, OMG, I have those and can have one!! Yay!!

I'm just one week post-surgery, so there's a ways to go before real food shows up in my life. I'm not enjoying this, but weight is coming off--I just have a really long way to go. Still, I can see the potential for my attitude improving a lot in another 50 pounds or so, never mind when I can have a piece of chicken!

Hang in there, everyone. No going back now . . .

I'm wondering a bit whether one's age affects the emotions involved--specifically the hormones--as I think most of the women on here are much younger than I am. I'm no longer in possession of a uterus and associated elements, so not subject to the hormonal fluctuations many are. I'm kind of generically not a weeper, either, so there's no tears here. I don't regret the surgery but I am so sick of Protein Shakes I could scream!! When I read the comment on here to have a fudgesicle, I was like, OMG, I have those and can have one!! Yay!!
I'm just one week post-surgery, so there's a ways to go before real food shows up in my life. I'm not enjoying this, but weight is coming off--I just have a really long way to go. Still, I can see the potential for my attitude improving a lot in another 50 pounds or so, never mind when I can have a piece of chicken!

You know, you might be on to something with the age thing. I'm post menopausal and have had no mood swings. I had a couple days early on where I wanted to eat and couldn't and felt moody but no real swings or regrets. Being old finally pays off! Lol

23 minutes ago, XYZXYZXYZ1955 said:

I'm not sure. It might also depend on where you are in your cycle when the surgery happens. I had finished my period just shy of a week before the surgery-- so far no mood swings, no buyer's remorse. I also know a couple of people who did this and are a year out. They did have unhappiness and depression, and some buyer's remorse.

The only other thing I can think of that I'm doing that people might not do is that I'm keeping my goals in front of my mental eye; I want to go zip lining, I want to do all the things I can't do at my current weight, at the weight I was before.

I know that being transgender, I haven't had any issues but I haven't had my hormone injections since before I went to the hospital. I plan to resume that treatment this week. But I haven't felt any pangs of regret or anything like that.

Edited by Véronique

I keep hoping the next update to this thread will be Tiff saying the cloud has lifted and she feels better.

2 minutes ago, etc. etc. etc. said:

I keep hoping the next update to this thread will be Tiff saying the cloud has lifted and she feels better.

I think a day or two after her initial post she posted in here again stating she was feeling better. :)

I know what you mean I have been 2nd guessing this for a week now. Surgery is next Thursday. But I DO know that I'm ready to eat to live and not live to eat. I'm ok with bites and tastes of my favorites it doesn't have to be a meal. I AM worried about Water tho. I too don't like that I can't swim until next summer. But guess what? We gonna look HOT NEXT SUMMER!!!

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 0:31 PM, QueenTiff said:

I am on week 3 post op and I feel like I made the biggest mistake in my life. I'm reading how my favorite foods is a no go and I'll never eat it in my life again. Here I am struggling to meet my goal of Protein and Water. I can't enjoy life with my friends. I'm over this sleeve people who wants to get it I tell them don't. I'm trying to find the beauty in all this but right now I feel like I ruined my life.

Tiffaniemoji1528.pngemoji757.pngemoji175.png

I know how you feel im 6 months out and Im going back and forth between regret and defeat im hearing it gets greater later I guess ill just be patiently waiting til then I hope your journey gets better

I'll be honest with you when it's not one thing it's another I don't think I was made for this surgery or something. I don't seem to be doing anything right and no it's not getting better.

Tiffani[emoji1528][emoji757]️[emoji175]

I am on week 3 post op and I feel like I made the biggest mistake in my life. I'm reading how my favorite foods is a no go and I'll never eat it in my life again. Here I am struggling to meet my goal of Protein and Water. I can't enjoy life with my friends. I'm over this sleeve people who wants to get it I tell them don't. I'm trying to find the beauty in all this but right now I feel like I ruined my life.
Tiffani[emoji1528][emoji757]️[emoji175]

Me too

Interesting, my PCP warned me that she had a few weight loss surgery patients that were unhappy, but the vast majority were happy. I am sorry it hasnt worked out for you. Hope its better for you later when the weight loss starts to really accumulate. :)

Also interesting about post-menopausal folks not experiencing the doldrums -- finally something in the "plus" column (in addition to no more periods, quite a big plus, LOL).

Edited by Apple203

I understand completely. After doing a band to sleeve I wish I had never done either. In fact, after a few complications- I weigh more now than I have in 8 years. Keep your head up and believe me when I say the break up with food is a process. It's actually like grieving. It will pass- your health will improve and you will feel better. Best of luck to you.

I felt the same way after I got mine. I just kept thinking "what did I do?!" But I'm on 3 1/2 years post op and I'm so happy I did this. Every year I am able to eat something new and the stuff I can't eat I don't miss as much. I lost 90lbs and have kept it off! I have trouble with the Protein and Water too and some weeks are harder than others. Just keep trying cause honestly there's no going back.

It gets easier. It really does. I can eat pretty much anything, although some things don't feel great, but it isn't horrible. I do miss being able to drink large amounts of Water, but that's about all I miss.

Breathe. You got this.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App