Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you still view yourself as "fat"

I'm still overweight as I need 30 lbs to hit goal but yes I still see myself that way. I guess it hasn't sunk in yet. The last 3 weeks haven't helped as I have gained and lost the same 2lbs. Feel like I'm not gonna lose anymore weight. I have tried eating more and less. Still work out 3-4 days a week. I dunno.

I am my own worst enemy. I'm sure the stuff I think is 10 times worse than what people actually think about me in social situations. You get used to trying not to make waves or be noticed for your fatness. I don't think I will ever "feel" skinny.

I agree. I spent so much time trying to stay off the radar I think it just feels natural. I think it will be that way no matter what I weigh or look like. Hopefully I'm wrong but like I said it just comes natural.

I will be a year out in a few days and this is still a huge issue for me. I can not wrap my mind around it. It's better than it was a few months ago, but my brain isn't fully on board with what my body now looks like.

Yes. When I see recent photos of me I think I still look fat, even though I know it isn't true. I hate photos of myself for some reason.

I am beginning to be self conscious of people complimenting me on my weight loss. I just don't want to be noticed so much. I know people are being kind and they just want to say "You look great" "You look so skinny", but I am having a harder time with it this past week. I try to change the subject as fast as I can. Maybe it is because I didn't tell anyone outside my family about having WLS, but I just don't like all the attention I am getting.

And I hate when people tell me "I hope you aren't gonna lose anymore because you look too skinny" In fact, I am still in the over weight BMI category. I need to lose about 10 more pounds to be a normal healthy weight. I never know what to say back and I hate feeling like they are judging me... ...

Sorry this turned into a rant.

I am still fat--BMI is still in the obese range--but with over 100 pounds gone, I still can't see a change when I look in the mirror. Side by side pictures is the only way I can see a thing. When I saw my mother after several months apart, she actually CRIED at the difference, and I was so confused because I feel like I look the same!

I am over 4 years post-op RNY gastric bypass surgery and do not consider myself fat any longer.

No and maybe I am a rare breed or maybe I hit a weight that I am happy with I don't know but I'm 1 year out and I NO longer see myself as fat. I haven't for quite some time. Once I hit about 175 lbs I saw myself as normal. Now at 148 with 145 being my goal weight I do not see myself as fat. I actually see myself as skinny. Some would disagree. I bought some items online several months ago. This one shirt a white button up off the shoulders French cuff I ordered in a medium. When I received it I could not fit my pinky finger into it and I thought I was small then. the shirt ran small. I was convinced that this was a shirt that I'd never wear and I didn't feel bad. I said this is actually too small I probably couldn't wear this in high school and I was 120 lbs soaking wet. Well a few months later like late may I tried it on once more before I gave it to my 21 year old cousin and it fit like a glove! I'm thinking is this a joke? I CAN FIT THIS!!!!??? That was a moment that I would remember. My skinny shirt. Keep working hard everybody! Hopefully you can come to accept your new body! It was a gradual shift for me-- and then an aha moment. Im sure its different for everyone.

You know what is weird, based on feedback I have been getting I changed my goal weight from 150 to 160. I have let other people's opinions change my own perceptions. I thought maybe they are right and I am getting too thin. I even started to worry about how to stop losing weight.

And despite that I look at photos and still see my flaws...lol... the brain is strange sometimes and I just need to get comfortable in my new body where ever I end up. I think this is why just getting fit and healthy appeals to me so much more then worrying about a number. Maybe staying off the scale would be a good thing... I doubt I will though..lol

I think it takes a long time for the head to catch up to the drastic changes in the body.

For me, I got very small after years of maintenance. It still sounded "off" to hear people refer to me as tiny or itty bitty. But I am very petite, in both stature and size. Accepting it has been hard. I don't view myself as fat, but wrapping my head around the reality of my weight and size? Mind warp.

And I made a conscious choice to gain and THAT was hard. Every pound up was intentional but still felt "bad" to some part of me. I needed to gain, I was incredibly small - technically a healthy weight but smaller than I'd been at 11 years old. Just drawn looking and really in need of a few pounds. But wow, the hangups I encountered that I thought I'd long put to bed!

I think many of us have deep seated feelings and long standing ways we've viewed ourselves. It doesn't change overnight. Or even in a year. Or clearly in my case, over seven.

Cheri

YES!

For many years I was obese (OK, technically I still am) and developed an identity as a fat woman. What I wore, what I ate, how I sat, where I sat, who I talked to, vacations, exercise, clothing... even how I walked.

All these choices were made through the identity of being fat. Now, 4 or 5 months later, I'm suddenly not that person anymore? I don't think so. I spent years with this identify and that can't be unlearned right away.

It may take years to fully understand this new person that I am.

Before surgery I tried running. I could maybe run up to a minute before I had to stop and walk. My husband always encouraged me to call myself a running but I just didn't buy into it. I couldn't be a runner if I walked most of the mile. Now, as I'm building up running a full mile without stopping, I feel like a runner. I feel comfortable calling myself a runner. I can embrace it more comfortably.

I think the new identity will come with time and new lifestyle adaptions.

I'm not to goal weight but figured I'd chime in anyway.

At 5 months out, the surgery is fast becoming old news, both for me and my family. The pounds continue to slowly come off, but I don't seem to be looking different like I did at first (to me anyway).

Life goes on the same as it always has, but it seems easier to just stand up and go DO something, instead of it taking a huge effort to just get started. I don't get as tired as soon either.

Whether the problem was the physical weight or mental weight, it is taking some time for me to realize that I now can EASILY do things that were so hard before. (Like mowing the lawn).

@Berry78 What the fork are you doing???? Are you trying to get ALL of us in trouble? Your story, the one you're gonna stick to is, "Even as a skinny minny, it's still IMPOSSIBLY hard to mow the lawn!" Theendkthnxbye.

I have fat days and skinny days!! I am 4 years out and as long as I don't look at my full length just my face I am ok. I also have a hard time figuring out what I am going to wear...I do the same thing as when I was heavy. I put something on and then it comes off because I think it makes me look fat. On and On!! My daughter just doesn't get it!! She tells me all of the time that I'm not fat. She says to me Why do you think you are fat!! I have not one answer for it. For one thing I never measured myself which is the pits!! I didn't want to see those huge numbers. I HATE pictures even to this day. Another thing I regret. My advise is for everyone to take lots of pictures and measurements. When you are at a plateau is a great time to measure because even if the scale doesn't move you might be losing inches. I think most of us still feel fat and think we are too. Have a great Monday everyone