Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Aug 25 Post Op Update

Hi all. I'm home from the hospital and wanted to send an update. Surgery went great and I was up walking 2 laps of my floor last night. The nurse said she had never seen anyone do as well as me. She said my positive and excited attitude surely helped! My pain never got above 2 or 3 and I needed very little pain meds. I'm off them now and don't even feel the need for Tylenol. Last night 3 ice chips made me nauseated, but today I kept down about 4 oz of liquids. I do have a drain in my abdomen that will not come out until next Thursday (ick) and I have to give myself anti blood clot shots daily for 2 weeks, but they are not as scary as I thought they would be. Now I just need the gas to pass (pun intended).

All said and done, I feel great for what I've been through, and lost 12 pounds pre op. I will keep up with updates. Thank you for all the support and info. This Forum is great, and I hope to pay it forward.

Sounds like you are doing great!! It should all be downhill from here! Woo Hoo! Welcome to the loser's bench!

Hi all. I'm home from the hospital and wanted to send an update. Surgery went great and I was up walking 2 laps of my floor last night. The nurse said she had never seen anyone do as well as me. She said my positive and excited attitude surely helped! My pain never got above 2 or 3 and I needed very little pain meds. I'm off them now and don't even feel the need for Tylenol. Last night 3 ice chips made me nauseated, but today I kept down about 4 oz of liquids. I do have a drain in my abdomen that will not come out until next Thursday (ick) and I have to give myself anti blood clot shots daily for 2 weeks, but they are not as scary as I thought they would be. Now I just need the gas to pass (pun intended).
All said and done, I feel great for what I've been through, and lost 12 pounds pre op. I will keep up with updates. Thank you for all the support and info. This Forum is great, and I hope to pay it forward.

Hello,
I am happy to hear that you're doing well! What type of weight loss surgery did you have? I had a Gastric Sleeve surgery on August 9th.

Sent from my SM-G925I using BariatricPal mobile app

Good morning I'm post op day 4 I'm still taking little sips and after 1 ounce of liquid your stomach will let you know my belly is sore is yours?

I had the sleeve. Yes, my belly is sore and sounds kind of like a garbage truck but the gas pains are tolerable. Slept in a recliner last night because I am a side sleeper and my drain is on that side. liquids are going down just fine now. I'm on clear liquids till Friday and then I can add yogurt and cream Soup. My energy level is a little low but nothing I can't handle. I have a desk job and if I didn't have the drain I think I could go back to work tomorrow!

Sent from my SM-G930V using BariatricPal mobile app

Oh wow energy level low keep sipping I have been sipping Powerade one keeping me hydrated

Just had my first shower and chicken broth. Broth did what I needed it to do. No gonna lie, feeling a little sore, but Ive had surgery before so knew what to expect. Not letting my fiance baby me too much :) Getting myself up and down etc without help. Everyones Journey is different. Listen to your body.

Just had my first shower and chicken broth. Broth did what I needed it to do. No gonna lie, feeling a little sore, but Ive had surgery before so knew what to expect. Not letting my fiance baby me too much [emoji4] Getting myself up and down etc without help. Everyones Journey is different. Listen to your body.

Hi again, my surgery was also the 25th. My whole front feels sore and bloated. I also don't need pain meds as you mentioned. I gained 5 lbs of Water weight in the hospital and it's still there! I'm peeing very little. Hoping all this calms down. I took a walk yesterday and the moving helps a lot, but even my "fat" clothes hurt around my middle, so I can't wait to loose the Fluid. Has anyone else gone through this?

Yes I hear you. I told myself I wouldn't get on the scale until my post op appt and I'm sticking to that. My belly is sore too but I slept on my left side last night! In bed! I have an abdominal drain which sucks. It should come out Thurs or Friday. I'm wearing stretchy boxers and they don't hurt. Or if I have to go out I will throw on a t-shirt dress. I can't wait to chew in a few weeks. Lol

P.s. they told me to get at least 60oz of fluids a day. I'm forcing myself. Sip sip sip

I have been sipping all day I also had a sugar free ice pop half. That really helps haven't started my Protein till I go for my one week post op

I had the sleeve. Yes, my belly is sore and sounds kind of like a garbage truck but the gas pains are tolerable. Slept in a recliner last night because I am a side sleeper and my drain is on that side. Liquids are going down just fine now. I'm on Clear Liquids till Friday and then I can add yogurt and cream Soup. My energy level is a little low but nothing I can't handle. I have a desk job and if I didn't have the drain I think I could go back to work tomorrow!

Sleeved on the 23rd. First two nights I slept sitting up on my couch. Now I sleep on my stomach/side with pillows spooning me on each side. Two incisions are definitely still tender. PJS pulled up to my armpits and tank top tucked in [emoji23]

Ok, so to continue my journey, I am 4 days post op and my drain is still working over time :( Im not concerned, but can't go back to work until its removed. After having little to no pain, this morning I noticed pain on my right side - like a stabbing pain. I have to hold my stomach when I walk for any relief. Seeing as most of my stomach was sliced off, I am assuming that now that the swelling is going down, some of this is "normal". Its definitely NOT gas pains. I don't like taking the liquid pain meds so am taking tylenol only. Liquids are going down no problem. Energy level is up, and Im looking forward to Protein Shakes on Friday.

Edited by HDScarlett

Always mention new-onset pain to your surgeon.

Have you had a BM? If not, you'll want to start thinking about getting things to happen in the next day or two in that area...