Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey so I'm new to this site. I've been on my surgery journey since December of 2016. I'm waiting for a phone call this coming week and we should be scheduleling surgery. I'm just wondering how recovery was for everyone. Pain level wise. How long it took till you were able to head back to work. I've been hearing 2 to 3 weeks. I'm a nanny and will also be going to school about 2 weeks after surgery will be. I've always been good with pain and always heal a little quicker then they've predicted but I know with bigger surgeries it can go either way. So I'd just love to hear your stories and how immediate recocery after surgery went for you guys. Thanks

I'll be two weeks post op on Monday, for me I had almost no pain, maybe only the first two days but It wasn't terrible, the pain meds they gave me at the hospital were enough to control it, I went home on day 3 post op and didn't need any pain meds. I was uncomfortable for like 5 more days mostly because of the stitches, so I just spent my days on the couch watching Netflix.
I'm going back to work on Monday, so far I still feel good, I'm taking my Vitamins, Protein Shakes, broth, just fine (i'm on a liquid diet still). But I'd say take at least 2 weeks off... not less than that.

I had absolutely no pain or nausea. I was up walking the next morning four times a day. I had a repair to my esophagus done at the same tine so I had to stay in hospital for four nights cuz of the repair, had to have a couple swallow tests. Otherwise I was fine when I went home. Never had to take a pain pill. I am retired so didn't have to worry about going back to work. I had a VSG 5 1/2 years ago and to me there is no difference in the recovery.

I had nausea and pain. Other than that my recovery went better than I thought it would. My stomach and incisions healed nicely. I just had problems getting enough fluids in but that's not much of a problem now.

----------------------------

HW- 273
Pre-op Wt- 230
SW- 226
CW- 172
GW- 130
Ht- 5'2.5"
DOS- April 26th, 2017

"Only those who try will become." ~FFX

Thanks guys for your feedback. That's helped me out a lot. Congrats on your surgeries and I hope things continue to go well for you:)

Piggybacking on the topic of recovery how were things GI wise? Specifically nausea vomiting and constipation/diarrhea? Those are my biggest recovery concerns especially when it comes to returning to work

Edited by Mhy12784

I was sleeved on 8/21 (Monday) so tomorrow will be a week out. I spent two nights in the hospital and then home. I will say that the post-op pain and nausea was well controlled with lots of meds. However, once I was home, the great challenge for me was a constantly upset stomach (slight queasy feeling with it) and having a really hard time with the all fluids diet. I just go so tired of drinking my meals and generally having my stomach in turmoil. That said, it is getting just a little bit better each day and I will start pureed foods the day after tomorrow. I have never been so anxious to taste some hummus or some tuna salad.

I was sleeved on 8/14. I'm a stay at home mom, so similar job to you [emoji6]. I would say two weeks should be fine, 3 if you can swing it. My pain was not prohibitive of me taking care of the kiddos, but my exhaustion was more of the issue. I'd break into cold sweats walking them into school last week (1 week post op. Im feeling WAY better in terms of energy starting at like at Day 11) Personally, as a mom, I wouldn't want anyone who had this surgery to be in charge of my kids until at least 2 weeks post op. If you nanny for active kids, forget it. Go three weeks. There's still so much to get used to. Take this time to focus on you and forming new long term habits. It's been a challenge for me to focus on slowly hydrating myself, slowly feeding myself, getting my Protein slowly in while ALSO caring for my kids (6,10,14). I don't know the ages you nanny for, but I was advised to not lift anything more than 10 lbs for 6 weeks. As a mom, I know that ain't happening, but you should give yourself at least three weeks before you're picking up babies/toddlers and such. Best of luck!

I was sleeved on 8/21 (Monday) so tomorrow will be a week out. I spent two nights in the hospital and then home. I will say that the post-op pain and nausea was well controlled with lots of meds. However, once I was home, the great challenge for me was a constantly upset stomach (slight queasy feeling with it) and having a really hard time with the all fluids diet. I just go so tired of drinking my meals and generally having my stomach in turmoil. That said, it is getting just a little bit better each day and I will start pureed foods the day after tomorrow. I have never been so anxious to taste some hummus or some tuna salad.

Sleeved on 8/14... my surgeon says Day 15 for purrees/soft foods. [emoji31] Cottage cheese never sounded so good. Tuesday I will dine like a queen with my hummus and ricotta bake. Watch for fireworks. There WILL be a celebration.

21 hours ago, SleeveDreamer said:

I had absolutely no pain or nausea. I was up walking the next morning four times a day. I had a repair to my esophagus done at the same tine so I had to stay in hospital for four nights cuz of the repair, had to have a couple swallow tests. Otherwise I was fine when I went home. Never had to take a pain pill. I am retired so didn't have to worry about going back to work. I had a VSG 5 1/2 years ago and to me there is no difference in the recovery.

If I may ask - what repair to your esophagus did you have? I was diagnosed with achalasia and am revising my sleeve to a bypass as well as having a myotomy. Just curious what it was that you were treating.

As far as recovery for my sleeve, I work a desk job and took 2 weeks. I was fine, physically, at about a week, but was still very tired all the time due to nutritional intake (or lack thereof) and being tired as my body healed.

35 minutes ago, SippinAintEasy said:

I was sleeved on 8/14. I'm a stay at home mom, so similar job to you . I would say two weeks should be fine, 3 if you can swing it. My pain was not prohibitive of me taking care of the kiddos, but my exhaustion was more of the issue. I'd break into cold sweats walking them into school last week (1 week post op. Im feeling WAY better in terms of energy starting at like at Day 11) Personally, as a mom, I wouldn't want anyone who had this surgery to be in charge of my kids until at least 2 weeks post op. If you nanny for active kids, forget it. Go three weeks. There's still so much to get used to. Take this time to focus on you and forming new long term habits. It's been a challenge for me to focus on slowly hydrating myself, slowly feeding myself, getting my Protein slowly in while ALSO caring for my kids (6,10,14). I don't know the ages you nanny for, but I was advised to not lift anything more than 10 lbs for 6 weeks. As a mom, I know that ain't happening, but you should give yourself at least three weeks before you're picking up babies/toddlers and such. Best of luck!

Thank you so much. This was very helpful. I nanny for a lot under 5 and that was my biggest concern, picking kids up and how'd I'd feel going back to work if it was too soon. I love my job and it's a lot of running around being busy so I wanted to make sure I gave myself the best shot and I'm safe both for me and my kids. So I think I'm leaning more towards taking 3 weeks off just to be on the safe side and then easing back into it.

38 minutes ago, makemyownluck said:

If I may ask - what repair to your esophagus did you have? I was diagnosed with achalasia and am revising my sleeve to a bypass as well as having a myotomy. Just curious what it was that you were treating.

As far as recovery for my sleeve, I work a desk job and took 2 weeks. I was fine, physically, at about a week, but was still very tired all the time due to nutritional intake (or lack thereof) and being tired as my body healed.

I had a really thin area on my esophagus that was on the verge of rupturing but it did not show up in a endoscopy and was not noticed until he went in to do my bypass.

Edited by SleeveDreamer

5 hours ago, Mhy12784 said:

Piggybacking on the topic of recovery how were things GI wise? Specifically nausea vomiting and constipation/diarrhea? Those are my biggest recovery concerns especially when it comes to returning to work

Never had any pain, nausea, Constipation, or diarrhea.o

Thank you so much. This was very helpful. I nanny for a lot under 5 and that was my biggest concern, picking kids up and how'd I'd feel going back to work if it was too soon. I love my job and it's a lot of running around being busy so I wanted to make sure I gave myself the best shot and I'm safe both for me and my kids. So I think I'm leaning more towards taking 3 weeks off just to be on the safe side and then easing back into it.

"...a lot under 5..." Yes, AT least three weeks for you. Talk to your surgeon about lifting recommendations. Yesterday (day 12 post op) I did a lot of bending and picking up toys, straightening up, light housework really, and today, my abdominal muscles that were cut were definitely feeling it. Everyone is different. I tend to be a moderate to quick healer and was active pre-op. But I am still having to force myself to slow down. Luckily I have an amazing husband who is very hands on with the kids and gives me the freedom to take it easy when I need to. It'd be much more difficult without the back-up.

My pain is very minimal. I'm at Day 13 post op and was off all pain meds at like 1 week. (Off narcotics day 3). I had no nausea miraculously. (Usually anesthesia and I don't agree.) GI on the other hand, it took about 10 days for my intestines to figure this all out. I had some diarrhea (like QUICK get to the restroom NOW kind) mostly days 5-10. I was able to control it with one dose of Imodium. But I figured out it was my Isopure Drink that was causing it. Once I eliminated that, I have been a-ok. Taking a probiotic too has always helped me stay regular in previous weight loss attempts.