Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve vs. Bypass

1 minute ago, Mhy12784 said:

Well sleep apnea and hypertension shouldn't have much of an impact on which procedure you choose as they'll both improve them significantly as you lose weight. But the bypass is king for diabetes. If your diabetes is poorly controlled or something you struggle with (or just a long term concern of yours) then the bypass is the way to go.

My family has a bad history of diabetes, that one will be one of my deciding factors for sure. -Thanks again-

Meh, it's totally up to you...I was wanting bypass right up until the end then switched last minute to the sleeve. The general consensus is that you lose more weight faster with the bypass. The bypass is effective for those who have severe life-threatening issues due to morbid obesity and need to lose the most weight quickly. Weight loss with the sleeve is a little more drawn out, you lose less day-to-day, but over the course of a few years the weight loss evens out with the bypass (if you follow the rules). I don't have any comorbid conditions, I'm just severely obese, so I chose the sleeve.

Spoke with my surgeon yesterday about sleeve vs. bypass. After 3 minutes into the conversation, I decided on the sleeve. To many complications with bypass.

12 minutes ago, RSM said:

Spoke with my surgeon yesterday about sleeve vs. bypass. After 3 minutes into the conversation, I decided on the sleeve. To many complications with bypass.

Did your surgeon recommend the sleeve or was that entirely your decision? Just curious

I love my sleeve! You don't lose as fast as the bypass patients but the long term results are nearly the same. I chose the sleeve because I didn't have diabetes or gerd and it seemed like a simpler operation. Surgery 5/22 down 45 lbs and have no thyroid, never thought I could lose weight.
When is surgery?

24 minutes ago, Joann454 said:

I love my sleeve! You don't lose as fast as the bypass patients but the long term results are nearly the same. I chose the sleeve because I didn't have diabetes or gerd and it seemed like a simpler operation. Surgery 5/22 down 45 lbs and have no thyroid, never thought I could lose weight.
When is surgery?

Hi, surgery scheduled for 9/18.

In 3 days the the pre-op liquid diet fun begins,,,ugh!

34 minutes ago, Mhy12784 said:

Did your surgeon recommend the sleeve or was that entirely your decision? Just curious

She listed the complications with the bypass. The sleeve sounds like it will be as successful as I make it to be. Being used as a tool, my life has to be re-arraigned. I feel 100% now with the sleeve.

4 minutes ago, RSM said:

She listed the complications with the bypass. The sleeve sounds like it will be as successful as I make it to be. Being used as a tool, my life has to be re-arraigned. I feel 100% now with the sleeve.

The sleeve is great, there's a reason why it's the fastest growing and most frequently performed bariatric surgery. If I didn't have severe GERD it would 100% be my choice

I went sleeve for a few reasons. I was 41 bmi, and 236lbs when I started the process with a goal of 150. I didn't have as much weight to lose, and did not have gerd so sleeve was an obvious choice for me. My other reason sleeve is a much more straight forward surgery. My mother and sister both had bypass a long time ago, 15, and 10 years respectively. My mother had very few problems, but my sister has had many problems. She had had chronic anemia, and can not get her B12 levels up. She also had a blocked due to scar tissue that required surgery.