Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

QUESTION FOR MY FELLOW DS FAMILY (MYFITNESSPAL)

Morning!

I was wondering if other people log their food and if so what do you monitor more, the calories or just focus solely on your Protein intake? I am trying to stay under 600 calories but sometimes higher protein Snacks or meal substitutions have a higher caloric intake. Also since I have been working out I am getting much more hungry...since I just had my surgery on 6/28/17 I still have my Protein Shake (which that right there is 160 calories) I was drinking an Isopure clear for a snack since that was only 8 ounces and helped me reach my protein level. As of yesterday I went and bought the premier clear and that is 90 calories but 20 grams protein.... but it will also add to my Water. I guess I am just testing the waters and trying to find a a happy balance. Any advice is welcome! I really want to hear from some veteran DS family! Thank you in advance! :)

I track both calories and macros. My trainer at the gym has me on a 60% Protein, 30% carb, 10% fat split. staying at 1000 calories, works great for me.

@Lexington1020 Hi. If you had a full DS, you needn't count calories. We count Protein grams, sugar and simple carb grams. I haven't counted a calorie or read the calories on a label in over 12 years since I had my DS. It's a hard concept to grasp. But you will. Now it would feel odd to look at calories whereas pre-DS that was such a large part of my life.

Your Protein Shakes should be about 7 grams of sugar and under. They do help fulfill protein and liquid requirements. The rule of thumb is 30 grams/protein at 30 days, 60 at 60, etc. I didn't make it as I couldn't eat that much but YMMV. I drank a shake everyday for the first 2 years, I think. Then never again (except in rare occurrences). I just eat and eat protein. Keeps me satiated and I can eat every hour or two if I want.

Edited by Postop

My nutritionist has me watching calories, carbs, Protein and Water intake. At 2.5 months out, I am aiming for about 800 calories, less than 50 g of carbs, and at least 80 g protein, more if possible. I'm also supposed to keep to low fat foods. It can be difficult to do if I use shakes or Protein Bars too much, so I try to get the majority of my protein through tuna, chicken, and other meats.

I log everything that goes in my mouth on My Fitness Pal. I track my water there too, I try to get at minimum 64 oz.

I use My Fitness Pal and track my carbs and Protein intake. I don't pay attention to fat intake since I've had the DS. I keep my calories at 1000 a day because I need some kind of line in the sand, although my doctor has never told me to count calories. He just said to keep my meals 70 percent protein and 30 percent veggies and to stay away from sugar. That's all the advice I received. So far, my weight has dropped steadily every week since my surgery. I wasn't put on a pre-op diet. I work at getting my Water intake in all day long and still struggle with that.

I had a full ds 5 years ago. I use the app to track Protein and carbs. I've never worried about calories. I have had to make sure I get in enough fat as well. I drink a premier shake each morning, it kind of wakes my tummy up. I try to stay within a 5 to 7 lb range, if I get on the high side I make sure carbs stay under 50g a day. I usually maintain weight at about 75g of carbs a day.

On 8/25/2017 at 9:33 PM, ChaosUnlimited said:

My nutritionist has me watching calories, carbs, Protein and Water intake. At 2.5 months out, I am aiming for about 800 calories, less than 50 g of carbs, and at least 80 g Protein, more if possible. I'm also supposed to keep to low fat foods. It can be difficult to do if I use shakes or Protein Bars too much, so I try to get the majority of my protein through tuna, chicken, and other meats.

I log everything that goes in my mouth on My Fitness Pal. I track my Water there too, I try to get at minimum 64 oz.

I'm curious as to why they have you watching your fat intake when a DS patient only abosrbs 20-30% of the fat they eat.

On 8/27/2017 at 6:38 PM, Strivingforbetter said:

I'm curious as to why they have you watching your fat intake when a DS patient only abosrbs 20-30% of the fat they eat.

There are several reasons according to my nutritionist and the classes I took pre-surgery. High fat foods tend to also be high in calories, less nutritious, and may in some cases cause fatty stools and diarrhea. Since intake amount is limited you want what you do eat to be as nutritious as possible. Most people get about a year to a year and a half of rapid weight loss, and you want to maximize that loss while still maintaining muscle mass. Eventually weight loss slows down, and the body adjusts to it's new configuration. It is possible to gain weight back after surgery so this time of rapid loss should be used to learn and make a habit of eating for nutrition and fuel rather than for pleasure.

Now with that said, I told my nutritionist that life just wouldn't be worth it if I thought I could never have some of my favorite things like pizza and a big fat cheeseburger on a bun. And her reply is that it's not that those things are completely forbidden, as an occasional treat it's fine. However, some people, once they indulge, have a hard time keeping those things to an occasional treat, and they slide back into old habits. I can totally understand the idea of trigger foods that make you crave more and more. So, I'm doing the best I can to change my habits for the better while I have the benefit of less hunger, less craving, and limited food intake so that later this lifestyle will be the new norm. I made a deal with myself: I can give up anything (food related) for a year while I focus on my health. It will still be there in a year if I want it, but maybe I won't.

Sorry that turned out so long! Hope I made sense there. Here are a couple links to articles:

http://www.bariatric.us/duodenal-switch-diet.html

https://www.dssurgery.com/fat-protein-post-duodenal-switch-diet/

http://www.cornellweightlosssurgery.org/pdf/diet_guid_duod_swit.pdf

On 8/26/2017 at 8:23 AM, Strivingforbetter said:

I use My Fitness Pal and track my carbs and Protein intake. I don't pay attention to fat intake since I've had the DS. I keep my calories at 1000 a day because I need some kind of line in the sand, although my doctor has never told me to count calories. He just said to keep my meals 70 percent Protein and 30 percent veggies and to stay away from sugar. That's all the advice I received. So far, my weight has dropped steadily every week since my surgery. I wasn't put on a pre-op diet. I work at getting my Water intake in all day long and still struggle with that.

Im in Utah and looking to have the DS as my revision to my original bypass 16 years ago, who and where did you go if you do not mind me asking

7 hours ago, twotoo said:

Im in Utah and looking to have the DS as my revision to my original bypass 16 years ago, who and where did you go if you do not mind me asking

I went to Dr. Roderick McKinlay at Rocky Mountain Associated Physicians next to St. Mark's Hospital in Salt Lake. It's on 3900 South. He is an expert at doing the DS and has trained other doctors around the country.

Ok that's where I did my original with Dr smith he's now deceased. I'll call to see if he can do my revision. Thank you.