Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

August Sleevers-How are you doing??

7 hours ago, Cloebird said:

Speaking of feeling like a failure...that's me! I cannot get evenings together. I'm so on plan during the day and blow it with carbs at dinner. I'm not in a happy place right now and of course I want to turn to food. UGH!😣

I have to admit that I am on a low carb plan. I'll eat bananas, sweet potatoes, and quinoa but I don't go anywhere near bread, rice or Pasta. I am allowed these things in moderation by my nutritionist but, for me, it's easier to just avoid them.

Cloebird - I'm sad to hear you're not in a happy place right now. I understand how you want to turn to food. It's a constant struggle for me too. Do you keep a food journal? If so, you might want to try tracking your feelings or moods and then looking for patterns. e.g. if feeling bored makes you overeat or reach for something lacking nutrition then you can try and be mindful of that and distract yourself.

I'm trying to make myself feel better without food. No more eating my feelings! When I get the blues, I go for a walk, treat myself to bath, read a trashy crime novel, listen to music, or go and chat with someone. Anything to distract myself! I don't watch TV when I'm sad (because then I might grab a snack) or go anywhere near the kitchen). I have a lifetime of terrible habits and I need to learn new ones! Sometimes I make mistakes and eat chocolate or whatever and then I have to forgive myself but that's OK. I'm a work in progress.

I feel like a failure too sometimes since my stats seem awful compared to other people. Times like that I remind myself I’m wearing smalls and mediums in clothes and easily fitting in jackets from college. Haven’t tried my skinny jeans yet.

I have started to treat myself occasionally. I’ll have a bite of chocolate or a small bowl of Pasta. I just have set macros for the day depending on whether it’s a gym day and make sure I meet my nutritional and caloric goals for the day.

We need to be more gentle on ourselves. Not make excuses for poor decisions but recognize we’re all human and one bad meal or snack won’t make or break our success.

I was sleeved on 8/29/17, I had all the exact feelings as everyone else. I try to focus on non scale moments to help with my self esteem, down sizing on clothes has been the most rewarding for me. Went from a size 22 in jeans to wearing a size 12 now, and on shirts i went from 3x-2× to now a lg and xlg. Another wonderful moment for me is when my oldest daughter boyfriend came over the other night and i was dressed up for a wedding to attend and he said," damn your mama is looking hot". Those little moments is what gets me through this:0) plus i hit my first 2 goals i had set for myself. first being in the 100's by Christmas , 2nd losing 50lbs. Happy to say i accomplished both!

Sw 244 cw 192

Anyone else struggling with missing the ability to eat?? Went to lunch the other day with a couple friends and was so excited for this super yummy place and literally can only eat a few bites, and slowly, before that absolute “have to stop” line is drawn. I kind of envied my, normal sized, friends’ ability to eat more than 3-4 bites. I noticed them looking at my plate as it wasn’t a large lunch to begin with, and tho no one said anything, I felt a little insecure. Tho I love my weight loss and understand this was the tool that I desperately needed, at the same time, I miss the ability to eat. Ugh...

Sleeved 8/7/17 HW: 256 SW: 248
CW: 197 on 1/3/18 5'7" GW: 150

My BMI went below 30 this morning. My pulmonologist said if I went below 30, I can probably get rid of my CPAP. I'm also now the lowest weight I've been in the thirteen years my wife and I have been together.

I do miss eating normally sometimes though, yeah. I'm at a scouting event with my kid and the other folks are eating deep dish pizza and chocolate cake. I brought a Protein Water and a sad little bag of chicken meatballs.

It was fine until they decided they had extra pizza they "didn't want to go to waste" and like six people offered me a slice.

Get thee behind me, Satan.

8 hours ago, etc. etc. etc. said:

My BMI went below 30 this morning. My pulmonologist said if I went below 30, I can probably get rid of my CPAP. I'm also now the lowest weight I've been in the thirteen years my wife and I have been together.

Congratulations! You are looking good! Your wife is one lucky lady!!

Congratulations!! I’ve been waiting for mine to get below 30 so I could be approved for hernia repair and when I reached 29 I wanted to throw myself a party. Getting off CPAP will be awesome!

Had my surgey for my 51st birthday and its been an interesting trip. Carbs were and still are my weakest point.

I find it easier to avoid them than to limit them so i work hard to keep cards very very low. if i have them i try to make sure the item also has Fiber this pretty much stops all simple carbs.

I will say if your large around the gut you might want to skip the crunch machine in the gym for a good long while. i pulled a stomach muscle 3rd day i added that dam machine to my workout and it cost me 3 weeks in the gym. I also limit all my eating to a 8 hr window (11-7). I am off 2 bp meds and my Metformin for 2 months now and no more cpap. I put my wedding ring on for the first time in more than 7 years and that was nice emotional victory. I only weigh on saturday mornings now and if i could give 1 piece of advice to anyone new it would be measure yourself. I wish i had those numbers now but i just couldnt make myself do it. the thought of seeing those numbers back then and writing them down was just beyond what i could accept. I regret it now beacuse i dont have a good reference point but i will buy new clothes in march before my 8 month follow up with the Doc.

I have cut 3 new holes in the belt and my wife says i look like **** in these cloths but i didnt want to waste money doing it 2-3 times so i just keep pulling that belt in and going on.

well i just looked back and realized i am rambling away here so thats enough of that.

hope everyone is doing well

Edited by allwet
spelling

Anyone else struggling with missing the ability to eat?? Went to lunch the other day with a couple friends and was so excited for this super yummy place and literally can only eat a few bites, and slowly, before that absolute “have to stop” line is drawn. I kind of envied my, normal sized, friends’ ability to eat more than 3-4 bites. I noticed them looking at my plate as it wasn’t a large lunch to begin with, and tho no one said anything, I felt a little insecure. Tho I love my weight loss and understand this was the tool that I desperately needed, at the same time, I miss the ability to eat. Ugh...

Sleeved 8/7/17 HW: 256 SW: 248
CW: 197 on 1/3/18 5'7" GW: 150

I feel this so much!! I guess, emotionally, I’m suffering with the fact that I can’t eat my whole plate. At a restaurant, at relatives houses, and so on... everyone gives me strange looks and lots of “is that all you’re going to eat?!” It’s worse when I’m with people who don’t know I’ve had the surgery. I feel insecure about it too. But it’s worth it. [emoji4]

Hi All!

Congratulations on all of your successes! I had my Gastric Sleeve surgery on 8/21! So far so good. My start weight was 241, my goal is 150 (i'd even be happy with 160) and i am currently 177.

I am happy with my success but i wanted to know if anyone was experiencing something i am since we are all around the same time out. I have had little to no side effects or acid or anything like that. Recently, at night only I have been having this sensation that literally keeps me up at night. I feel a warm sensation in my throat like something is about to come up. I DO NOT eat before bed, i take a small sip of Water to take my Iron pill. Just even 2 weeks ago, i would drink alot before bed but this did not happen. I don't really feel too good today and have some reflux, so i'm wondering if it was particularly bad last night simply because i don't feel good. But it has been happening the past 3-4 nights. Also of note, i take a nap during the day sometimes while my son naps and it doesn't happen to me at all. I'm literally wondering if it's in my head. I spit up one time after drinking too much before bed and it was horrible. Maybe now i'm afraid it'll happen again.

I just cannot make sense of it. I was previously having a small snack before bed (2 hours before bed or so) and this would not happen. It's driving me crazy!!! I can't live like this because i'm not falling asleep until 1am and i get up very early.

Any help or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all and congrats again!<3

Crystal

Crystal try moving the Iron pill up a hour or 2 if you can and see if it goes away. also try otc prilosec for a aweek to 10 days and see if you get improvment.

good luck and grats on your progress so far

Crystal try moving the Iron pill up a hour or 2 if you can and see if it goes away. also try otc prilosec for a aweek to 10 days and see if you get improvment.
good luck and grats on your progress so far

Thank you! I will try that. In my searching I find someone saying something about their Iron pill. Also, I’m on 20mg omeprazole in the morning. I’ve already taken two tums today which is out of the ordinary. I hope this isn’t a new permanent thing for me.

Crystal, 30, Rhode Island
Gastric sleeve 8/21/17
Starting/highest weight: 241
Current weight: 179.5
Goal weight: 150

Has anyone decreased the amount of Vitamins you take?

Originally I was taking two multis a day but since about the holidays I only take one multi a day (and a B12 and my iron). My labs just came back and everything is great. I will ask the surgeon next week if I can stay on just one a day.

Just curious is anyone else has dropped the amount of vitamins they take?