Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

August Sleevers-How are you doing??

FabBy55: Yes, exactly! I want to eat correctly as a habit, not as something I do by mathematical calculation. I just realized that the Breakfast I just ate--which left me feeling quite full, thank you, sleeve--was half of what I used to eat: omelet with one egg, not two; two small pieces of sausage, not four; one piece of toast, not two.

My surgery was 6 months ago today. I am sitting at 228 pounds, which is 8 pounds from my goal. I have not eaten low carb. I have incorporated tons of weight lifting into my exercise routine, and have eaten 85% clean over the past 6 months. I am just BARELY under what is considered obese by medical standards even though I have a 34" waist at 6'3" tall.

My takeaway from all of this is.....Don't base your progress on anyone else's. I am 98 pounds from my high weight (shown on left). I have lost only 61 pounds since surgery. However, you can see a definite difference in how I carry my weight. I am very happy with my progress. I am not at goal, but am no longer actively trying to get there. I am just focusing on my health.

My diet consists of tons of vegetables, Protein Shakes and lean Protein, super grains and fruit 6 days per week with 1 day of indulgence. Whatever I crave, gets eaten that day. I consulted with a bodybuilder friend of mine a few months ago, and he told me that the best way to lean up is to give yourself a day every week or so to calorie and carb load. This helps your body avoid thinking your are in starvation mode. Ever since I adopted that method, I have leaned up and increased my muscle percentage.

Anyway, I do track my meals with MyfitnessPal. I do weigh my food to ensure that I don't overeat. I don't deny myself anything. I just wait for whatever I want that week, and prioritize.

I am glad that mostly everyone is doing well. Just keep fighting for the life you want to have.

0 months - Copy.JPG

You look like a frigging superhero, man. Good on you!

My surgery was 6 months ago today. I am sitting at 228 pounds, which is 8 pounds from my goal. I have not eaten low carb. I have incorporated tons of weight lifting into my exercise routine, and have eaten 85% clean over the past 6 months. I am just BARELY under what is considered obese by medical standards even though I have a 34" waist at 6'3" tall.

My takeaway from all of this is.....Don't base your progress on anyone else's. I am 98 pounds from my high weight (shown on left). I have lost only 61 pounds since surgery. However, you can see a definite difference in how I carry my weight. I am very happy with my progress. I am not at goal, but am no longer actively trying to get there. I am just focusing on my health.

My diet consists of tons of vegetables, Protein Shakes and lean Protein, super grains and fruit 6 days per week with 1 day of indulgence. Whatever I crave, gets eaten that day. I consulted with a bodybuilder friend of mine a few months ago, and he told me that the best way to lean up is to give yourself a day every week or so to calorie and carb load. This helps your body avoid thinking your are in starvation mode. Ever since I adopted that method, I have leaned up and increased my muscle percentage.

Anyway, I do track my meals with MyfitnessPal. I do weigh my food to ensure that I don't overeat. I don't deny myself anything. I just wait for whatever I want that week, and prioritize.

I am glad that mostly everyone is doing well. Just keep fighting for the life you want to have.

5a7b4a58178d9_0months-Copy.JPG.cae0092b13ef49d06b1515356fa4d68b.JPG

YOU LOOK AWESOME!!!

I tend to try to waiver my days which I think is the same thought as the indulgence day (weight watchers boards have a thing called The Wendie Method). Some days more food some days less. And, yes, despite my overall philosophy I track a few days every week just to make sure I am on track and not overeating! I just don’t give in to it being an obsession.

3 hours ago, FabBy55 said:

I think you are correct with the correlation between tracking and the fastest weight loss.

Tracking is a great tool to use if you are not losing or to find out the nutrition content of food.

However, the idea is that, we of all people, have proved that dieting doesn’t work. So if you are treating your life right now as if you are on a diet, eventually you will tire of it, stop tracking, and start gaining. I would bet a very large percentage of people on these boards have been on a low carb diet before and yet here we all are having bariatric surgery. Hence, being on a diet, tracking and eating low carb is not the answer.

I think we all need to take this year not only to lose as much weight as possible but to learn how to eat all kinds of food in balance and in the right portions. To get to a weight where we feel good working out and feel good enough about ourselves to eat food that is good and good for you.

I tend to watch my skinny friends and family. They do not track everything they eat. They do not avoid carbs. They indulge once in a while. They work out and move a lot. They make good choices like “I had a big weekend so this week I am eating lighter”. That is the life I want. Not one tied to a tracker and having my brain dominated by thoughts of what I can and cannot eat.

Very well said!!!

I’m having a hard time staying on track and healthy. I had surgery aug 21. Then my bunion removed dec 22. So it’s been 6 weeks since my foot surgery. I still can’t walk for exercise. I do barre a few times a week with modifications but it’s not like the cardio I was doing before- spin and long walks especially. I’m teetering between 224 and 225 which is about a 65 pound loss. Needing a little support while my foot heals from my August peeps. I’m going to Florida February break and reAlly hoping I can walk more than a block.

HW. 289
SW. 284
Height. 5’8

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 1:15 PM, etc. etc. etc. said:

You look like a frigging superhero, man. Good on you!

thanks!

YOU LOOK AWESOME!!!
I tend to try to waiver my days which I think is the same thought as the indulgence day (weight watchers boards have a thing called The Wendie Method). Some days more food some days less. And, yes, despite my overall philosophy I track a few days every week just to make sure I am on track and not overeating! I just don’t give in to it being an obsession.

I am a heavy lifter also. I'm 4 months Post op and only down 30lbs. I look better and feel stronger but am still 40/50 lbs from my goal weight of 170/180. I'm glad i found your post it helped me during this tough time I'm going thru

Sent from my SM-G935T using BariatricPal mobile app

On 2/8/2018 at 6:11 AM, DropWt4Life said:

0 months - Copy.JPG

I just can't get over your photos. That's not the surgery. You must have worked your butt off in the gym! Congratulations on your awesome success. You look like Luke Cage!

My 6months is coming up on the 29th, decided to show full body pics for the very first time. The top pic was my heaviest at 277, the bottom pic is now at 187. My pre-op weight was 244 on august 29 before i went into surgery that day. My goal is 145, so a little over halfway there! 🤗😁😀

20180210_204048.jpg

20180115_182917.jpg

3 hours ago, 46w4kds said:

My 6months is coming up on the 29th, decided to show full body pics for the very first time. The top pic was my heaviest at 277, the bottom pic is now at 187. My pre-op weight was 244 on august 29 before i went into surgery that day. My goal is 145, so a little over halfway there! 🤗😁😀

20180210_204048.jpg

20180115_182917.jpg

Congratulations! You look so lovely! You will be at goal in no time! How exciting!

Thank you LaLaDee, im still very shy about my weight loss. I dont know if its just me or not, but nobody, i mean nobody tells me i look any diffrent with the exception of my kids and sisters. my husbands family doesnt even noticed my weight loss. It's frustrating to me because im really working hard to eat healthy, and now going to gym. But nothing, is it just me? I know i have because the scales tell me so, and i have dropped from a size 24 to a 12 in jeans. Im happy dont get me wrong, i love my results. Just wished others saw it to! Sw:244 cw: 187 gw:145 sd: 8/29/17

No, you look seriously different! A random stranger on the internet doesn’t lie!

The other day, I was trying to safety pin my skirt on tighter (I need to go shopping) and a colleague was like, “did your skirt rip?” And I told her it was just weight loss and the skirt was loose. She smiled and said she had noticed I had lost a lot of weight but she didn’t know if it was ok to say anything. I think people who don’t know you well wont generally comment because it’s awkward. Like, what do you say to someone, “you’ve lost weight, you look great”. Does that imply they didn’t look great before? And also, you don’t know the reasons for someone’s weight loss - they could be ill seriously depressed or something.

Also some people (like me) find any conversation about my body awkward and uncomfortable. I blush and get weird if someone mentions my loss.

You have done so well. I bet people have noticed!

I am 80 pounds down my surgery date was 8/24 but I just cant get the last 20 pounds off is there something more I should be doing getting kind of annoyed I want to shed these last 20 pounds any ideas or suggestions?

37 minutes ago, krandall said:

I am 80 pounds down my surgery date was 8/24 but I just cant get the last 20 pounds off is there something more I should be doing getting kind of annoyed I want to shed these last 20 pounds any ideas or suggestions?

I'm around 20 pounds from my goal, too. I had a stall around the last week of January/first week of February, but I think it's moving slowly along again. In my case, I think I'd gotten a little too loose with my carbs. I was trying to get more Fiber in, so I was eating some of those Atkins bars. They talk that sweet-sounding line about "net carbs" and I wanted to believe it. It turns out that as soon as I gave up on those and went back to keeping my actual daily carbs (not my "net") to around 45, it started going back down.

Are there any small adjustments you've made lately you think might be the cause? Or are you just plain old stuck?