Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

August Sleevers-How are you doing??

Happy New Year, August Sleevers! I hope 2018 brings you much joy and happiness.

Monday is my normal weigh-in day and today I actually weigh what's written on my driver's license, LOL! That's a first since college many, many years ago. The other day I went into a store that I would never have gone into before (a little specialty boutique in my neighborhood) and actually bought some fun dresses there. I was shocked they fit! Here are a before/after picture. I had already lost about 15-20 pounds in my before picture. I'm the one on the left. The after picture is trying on one of the dresses I bought at that boutique.

Getting sleeved was the best thing I've ever done!

tc-goleta-triathalon-79-X4.jpg

IMG_2256.jpg

Anyone else lose slow after they had the surgery? I hate to be one of those people who complain but it seriously gives me anxiety. Anyone else feel like the sleeve didn’t work? I’m 4 months out and 48 lbs lost. I started at 335 and now I’m at 287. Will I lose more? I know a loss is a loss but most of it came off the first month and now super slow. Any advise? Anyone who lost 10 pounds a month hit 100 pounds lost? Just looking for similar stories.

Hang in there, everyone loses weight differently and at different speeds.

It is frustrating if you're not getting the results you expected but you have lost 48 pounds in 4 months - which is a great result!

Best wishes for your weight loss journey :)

22 hours ago, CdrIvanova said:

Happy New Year, August Sleevers! I hope 2018 brings you much joy and happiness.

Monday is my normal weigh-in day and today I actually weigh what's written on my driver's license, LOL! That's a first since college many, many years ago. The other day I went into a store that I would never have gone into before (a little specialty boutique in my neighborhood) and actually bought some fun dresses there. I was shocked they fit! Here are a before/after picture. I had already lost about 15-20 pounds in my before picture. I'm the one on the left. The after picture is trying on one of the dresses I bought at that boutique.

Getting sleeved was the best thing I've ever done!

tc-goleta-triathalon-79-X4.jpg

IMG_2256.jpg

WOW! You look AMAZING! Congrats!

I noticed your stats and we weighted about the same starting and were sleeved around the same time. I've only lost about 60lb and the rest is being stubborn. Would you mind sharing some of the things you are doing to have such great success? Are you working out regularly? Are you calorie counting?

I'm tracking my food and I have a new toy (Fitbit) but I haven't had much movement in 3 weeks and this is the second stall that I have had.

35 minutes ago, Kmccor said:

WOW! You look AMAZING! Congrats!

I noticed your stats and we weighted about the same starting and were sleeved around the same time. I've only lost about 60lb and the rest is being stubborn. Would you mind sharing some of the things you are doing to have such great success? Are you working out regularly? Are you calorie counting?

I'm tracking my food and I have a new toy (Fitbit) but I haven't had much movement in 3 weeks and this is the second stall that I have had.

Thanks so much! I definitely journal daily (using MyFitnessPal), which helps me immensely. The biggest thing, though, is that I follow a Keto diet: (very) low carbs, moderate Protein and high fat. I've been doing that since last March and lost 43 pounds prior to surgery and all the rest through yesterday. My husband and I do this together, which is also very helpful. We are committed to a more active lifestyle as well -- we run and bike a few times during the week. To help us keep to that commitment, we work out with our charity team (Team Challenge). This means we get to see friends every week and keep moving. We're adding strength training to our routine this month.

Keto is also recommended by our nutritionist (but strangely enough, our surgeon is still on the "low-fat" wagon -- we just nod when we talk to him!). Keto has been a life saver for my husband and me. Oh, I should mention that I'm still on an 800-calorie diet, but I don't watch the calories so much. I watch the carb intake, which I try and keep to less than 30g per day.

You're doing great! You're very close to your goal weight, which is fantastic! 2018 is going to be your year! Good luck!

Taylor, I am in a similar position. We will lose more! There’s no way we won’t !! Id love to hear others stories too (just to be sure! Lol)

I started at 330 and am now 270. I feel like I’m Losing slow. And while I’m not complaining it is frustrating to see everyone lose quicker. And even more frustrating to hear we all lose differently. Grrrr , we know that and hate it :)

I am soooo grateful for my loss so far though. I’ve never been able to lose this much and keep it off. Soooo even though I only lost 4 in November and 3 in December - I’m grateful for it.

Happy new year to everyone!!

Edited by KimmerAnn

My family finally saw me at New Year's. Except for my mom, none of them knew I had had surgery. It went pretty well and people were mostly really happy for me and excited.

One of my brothers did say how proud he had always been of our dad, who had insisted that instead of having surgery, he would do it "the right way" with diet and exercise. "Yeah, but he died," I wanted to say. "His heart literally gave out and he died." But I just changed the subject. Later, though, when that brother started to hear the details of how hard I was working and how carefully I was following the doctor's and nutritionist's instructions, he really got on board.

I lost a few more pounds this week, even with the holiday, and I'm in the 220's now for the first time since I was first dating my wife, about 12 1/2 years ago. I'm looking forward to getting to 220, as that will mean I am as light as she has ever seen me. Plus, that will mark the point at which I go from "obese" to merely "overweight" by BMI. I've gone from morbidly obese to severely obese, to obese, but that one will feel good, I think.

Edited by etc. etc. etc.

Similar stats here... sleeved 8/15 and was 356 pre op, about 340 surgery day.

today at 258. So almost at the 100 lb Mark. I honestly think my body is still in shock from the lack of junk I was eating. I was very high carb, high processed, lots of fast food. Hang in there.... I’ve slowed at times and recently started exercising a bit so hoping that allows me to maintain a steady loss as I still have a long way to go!!!! Good luck

Anyone else lose slow after they had the surgery? I hate to be one of those people who complain but it seriously gives me anxiety. Anyone else feel like the sleeve didn’t work? I’m 4 months out and 48 lbs lost. I started at 335 and now I’m at 287. Will I lose more? I know a loss is a loss but most of it came off the first month and now super slow. Any advise? Anyone who lost 10 pounds a month hit 100 pounds lost? Just looking for similar stories.

I’ve lost less than 10 lbs/month in all but my first month. Overall, though, I still lose every month (last month was 3.5 lbs). Slowly but surely getting there. I expect to hit 100 lbs lost but not til well after a year post-op (have lost 60 lbs in approx 8 months post-op, but only “big” number was month 1). I exercise 3-4 times week, feel amazing, and am never looking back!

It's fairly normal to lose a lot the first month and then have it slow, usually to single-digit numbers for each month. But think about it . . . if you lose just five pounds a month, that's 60 pounds in a year! Suppose you did that for two or three years? Another thing to consider is that you almost certainly didn't put on all of your excess weight in a few months.

I'm not trying to be Pollyanna here; it's simply that this isn't an instant fix--do you really want it to be?--but it will eventually make a huge change in your life if you stick with it and do what you are supposed to do.

I haven't broken my weight loss down by month, but I know I had a stall--one of two or three so far--for at least a month. Then I started losing again and it looked as though I lost ten pounds in a week! I'm pretty sure that's not exactly what happened . . . but the changes our bodies are going through aren't a straight-line process, so we'll experience periods of rapid loss, slow loss, stalls, and maybe even gains (watch like a hawk for those, of course).

Good luck! There are a lot of variables affecting how quickly we lose--I have bad knees and do almost no exercise at all, for example--but as long as we don't go off the rails completely, we WILL lose.

I’ve lost 70 pounds since my sleeve in August so think I’m a middle of the road looser, I too struggle to do anything other than walk due to knee problems. I’m loosingon average 2 pounds a week. I eat 800-1000 calories per day and stick (where possible) to Protein, fat, and veg. I’m sick and or sneeze if I eat more than 4-5 ounces at a time.

I’m over the moon with how I look now, I know I need to loose around another 30-40 pounds and will get there but if this is as good as it gets, I’d be happy enough. Life is so much better.

D49C0E8E-9C25-49F9-AC9C-46D9E48D99CE.jpeg

@Jeaniered Well done on your weight loss so far, you look great, you look so happy. :)

Made it to ONEderland!!! I keep thinking it’s not true-that I’m still that out of control fat girl but the scale said 197! Omg!!!! I’d put up a picture but I’m still camera shy. I am going to try to stretch that muscle and take an actual selfie...maybe. Baby steps! Holy cow, I fit into a size 12 stretchy jeans! I can’t believe it! (I still kinda don’t!)

Sleeved 8/7 HW: 256 SW: 248
CW: 206 on 11/28 5'7" GW: 150

Made it to ONEderland!!! I keep thinking it’s not true-that I’m still that out of control fat girl but the scale said 197! Omg!!!! I’d put up a picture but I’m still camera shy. I am going to try to stretch that muscle and take an actual selfie...maybe. Baby steps! Holy cow, I fit into a size 12 stretchy jeans! I can’t believe it! (I still kinda don’t!)

Just updated my stats on the signature...still can’t believe I’m under 200! Omg!

CW: 197 on 11/28 5'7" GW: 150

15 hours ago, Allie589 said:

Congratulations!!! This is awesome! I'm sure you are rocking those jeans!