Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

August Sleevers-How are you doing??

What exactly are sugar alcohols ?? And if they are in sugar free stuff is it really sugar free ??

I have lost this amount of weight multiple times when I’ve gone off various meds. I’m not complaining, rather basically asking a rhetorical question if I’m doing something wrong. Too many calories, not enough...too much Protein, not enough fat. There’s so many variables. At my 2 week post op my doc said I should be losing a pound a day. I lose 8-10 a month. That’s about 20 lbs short each month. I don’t really see how that’s complaining.

The doc said you should be losing a pound a day!?! That seems excessive. after the first 2-3 weeks your body "catches on" and starts to slow down from a metabolic standpoint. I am 3 months out and only lose 2 pounds a week. I eat less than 1000 a day.

On 11/14/2017 at 3:05 PM, Kmccor said:

Oh, I'm having a moment where I need people who have been there to "talk me off the ledge". After my rough start right after surgery, (internal bleeding with an extended hospital stay), I've been one of the lucky ones who has lost pretty fast. I'm down 49lb from 247lb before the pre-op diet. My freak out moment is, I weigh myself every Tuesday morning and for the last 2 weeks, I've been only losing 1lb per week. I know it sounds crazy to obsess about it but I'm honestly scared of what is going to happen when I plateau. What if I start trying to binge eat again?

Wow, we sound like twins. I had internal bleeding and extended hospital stay. I lost 22 pounds first 10 days. I'm now down 51lbs and almost 3 months out from surgery (Aug 29.) 250 to 199. My weight loss is only 1-2 lbs a week now.

Can you actually binge? I couldn't if I wanted to. I can only eat 2-3 bites of food. I eat mostly Soup because I feel like that way I get to have a meal. I think the weight is going to come off. Slowly at times, but it keeps going down.

My weigh in day is Sunday and this week I lost another 0.5 kg (1.1 pound). It seems to be the norm for me now.

Now that the days are getting longer, there is enough sunlight in the morning to go for a walk before work. So that's the plan moving forward, hopefully the extra exercise will increase the weight loss. I'd really like to loose 1 kg a week. But hey, I'm not complaining I'll take what ever loss I get.

I had a meeting with my NUT yesterday and it was good to get the main points reiterated to me again. I need to focus on my Protein to make sure that is on track, which can only help.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend August sleevers :)

Edited by BigAussieGirl

I had a little victory this week that I wanted to share (hopefully in a non bragging way). My BMI is under 40! Which by most standards means that I'm not morbidly obese anymore - just obese. Pre-surgery, my BMI was over 50, which was pretty shocking to learn.

In a couple of weeks, I'm doing a bunch of blood tests. I'm hoping to get some good results. Prior to my surgery I found out I was pre-diabetic, insulin resistant, my thyroid was not functioning well, I was Vitamin D deficient, and there was some hormone thing they identified too. My whole journey here has always been motivated by health. I think my Mom thinks I want to lose weight so that I can look good or buy nice clothes or meet "someone". Those things might be nice, but it's more about not being dead at 50 years old.

I’m at 3 mos now - sleeved aug 21. I’ve last 50 pounds including the 5 pounds pre op. I️ feel great and know I️ look much better. I’ve been more social and not hiding in my house. I’m losing about 10 pounds a month now. I️ thought it would be faster but that’s fine. I’m enjoying all foods just a small amount of it. No one has asked about my weight loss prob because I️ was previously a yo-yo dieter so they prob assume I’m dieting now. I’ve dumped a ton of clothing off at goodwill and fitting into clothing I️ have not worn in years. My shoes are also not as tight. My bras fit great. I️ have twenty more pounds to fit into my size 12 designer jeans. ( I️ know what I️ weighed with each clothing I️ have!). I️ have my 3 mos checkup Wednesday. Some days I’m not as healthy as others but the restriction is great. I️ love getting full on small amounts of food and sitting and watching my skinny friends eat more than me! In the past I️ could never get full at social gatherings as I️ was too embarrassed to eat all the food I️ really wanted in front of others. So I️ only ate a little then gorged when I️ got home because of how depressed I️ was. Sometimes I️ even ate before I️ went out to events so I️ wouldn’t eat in front of people. Now o feel normal. I️ can say I’m starving , eat until full and stop. It’s a great feeling. I’m so happy I️ got sleeved!

On 19/11/2017 at 1:52 AM, Arielle said:

The doc said you should be losing a pound a day!?! That seems excessive. after the first 2-3 weeks your body "catches on" and starts to slow down from a metabolic standpoint. I am 3 months out and only lose 2 pounds a week. I eat less than 1000 a day.

I totally agree, 1 pound a day is completely unrealistic, and really irresponsible of your medical guy to say so. All that's done has set you up to expect that loss, and when you don't achieve it, you feel bad, and feel like you are failing - which you totally aren't. Everyone loses weight at a different speed, so it's not healthy comparing yourself to others. So many things impact it - your age, starting weight, genetics etc, so there is no 'one size suits all'. As long as you are eating mindfully, keeping up your Fluid intake, your Protein intake, and aren't having sugary or low quality junk food, you will lose weight. I'm losing 1kg a week now, 3 months post surgery, and that's good, healthy and sustainable. More importantly, I don't feel like I'm on a 'diet'. I'm just eating (mostly) good, healthy food, and enjoying it.

Please don't compare, or expect to lose a pound a day. You'll only get demoralized, sad and most likely turn to food to comfort yourself.

I'm sending you positive, happy vibes. ❤️

I knew it would happen to me eventually, but here it is: I'm stalled now too. I've only lost 1 pound in the last week. I'm not upset about it or anything. And it may have more than a little to do with me having been sick this week, both in terms of it being a strain on my system and in terms of me not being up for walking every day like usual.

I also sort of have a paranoid suspicion that because I'm now at my lowest weight in ten years, my body is fighting me to hold steady.

Nothing to do but wait and be extra careful with what I eat, tracking, etc. I do have a doctor's appointment tomorrow so I will see if they have any thoughts on how I might tweak my macros.

On 11/16/2017 at 8:11 PM, Janet610 said:

Congratulations to you! Best of luck!

Thank you. I'll be starting in January but until then, I'll be kickboxing.

On 11/16/2017 at 10:42 PM, trying4me said:

Hi guys,

So at survey day (8/31) I was 294. I am at 263, down 31 lbs. This seems really slow. Anyone else have similar concerns? My body has changed and I am down 2 pants sizes, but am feeling discouraged.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

Yeah, I know the feeling. I started at 319 and now, I'm at 281, down 38 pounds. I'm quite concerned that I'm not losing it quickly enough... especially since my clothes aren't feeling as loose as everyone here brags about. I haven't even been down a size yet.

On 11/17/2017 at 1:31 PM, 46w4kds said:

Ok, so i really like this site but......... why are so many people complaining about loosing weight of 30-40 lbs in just a little over 2 months? I dont understand! When was the last time you lost that kind of weight. My surgery day weight was 244, today its 209. Thats 35lbs and im super, excited, happy!!!!! I feel wonderful, not discouraged or wondering if im loosing slow or not. All that matters is im loosing, so be happy !!!! If you read everyones weight loss on this paticular forum you will see your not losing slowly at all, if anything a little more or about the same as everyone else. Again be happy your losing!!!

Because my surgeon's office told me that by my three month appointment in one week, I need to be down 60 pounds, meaning that I need to lose 22 pounds in the next week to hit that target. I'm so scared that it's not going right.

On 11/17/2017 at 3:49 PM, lindabalseca said:

i fell into that category of "complaining" as u call it. but in reality I was being doubtful that I wasnt doing something correct or wondering what the normal is. Im not an expert at this type of surgery and everyone is different. I more so am trying to figure out "MY" normal. so I have come on various threads here "complaining" that my weight loss is slow in the beginning and some seasoned "losers" have given me pretty good advice. Im a little over 3 months post op vsg and 75# down and Im not freaking out anymore when I have a stall for 2-3 weeks. I dont use my scale as Gospel anymore but a guide. I look at all the NSVs and feel good about myself. This is a learning process both mentally and physically.

Precisely, and it aggravates me that the nurse from my surgeon's office has brushed me off. In nine days, I'll be three months post op. Yes, I do weigh myself daily and I do so because it puts so many data points on that graph. It also gives more definition to the graph and more insight about trends when meshed with nutritional data. If the nurse won't help me, then I need to rely more on this data to self-correct.

On 11/17/2017 at 4:06 PM, 46w4kds said:

I was simply trying to tell those who were worried about their weight loss progress to be happy about it. Not trying to turn this into a debate about individuals and there weight loss, again if you read the thread it simply states everyone is diffrent. Just want some people to appreciate the loss, not feeling bad about it!

Well, if that's what some people want to do, more power to them but I want to make sure that my surgery is a success and if I'm not hitting targets and I'm seeing people with a higher degree of success than I, I want to try to correct my course and make sure that I'm doing everything I can to make this surgery a success.

Still really frustrated. I feel like everyone is just passing me up and I’m stuck in the beginning. I had surgery on 8/23. I’m coming up on 3 months and I’ve lost 38 pounds. It’s so frustrating. Most of that was the first month. I’ve prob only lost 4 pounds last month and 4 the month before that. What’s wrong with me? Why am I losing so slow?

Sw-335 cw 297

4 hours ago, taylorfulfer said:

Still really frustrated. I feel like everyone is just passing me up and I’m stuck in the beginning. I had surgery on 8/23. I’m coming up on 3 months and I’ve lost 38 pounds. It’s so frustrating. Most of that was the first month. I’ve prob only lost 4 pounds last month and 4 the month before that. What’s wrong with me? Why am I losing so slow?

Sw-335 cw 297

I am right where you are as far as weight loss since the surgery. I lost 42 before the surgery on a 3-month low carb diet followed by a 2-week liquid diet, all required by my doctor. I have lost 37 since the surgery, and I am very pleased that I just crossed over from morbidly obese to just plain obese. If I have a stall in weight loss, I think a day or two of the high Protein liquid diet would probably help me get past it.

HW -299, SW -257, CW -220

And in response to some other comments on here, I have to add that I don’t perceive the majority of what I see on here as bragging. As Walter Brennan used to say on tv: “No brag. Just fact.” We are simply sharing facts about how we are doing.

On 11/20/2017 at 10:10 AM, etc. etc. etc. said:

I knew it would happen to me eventually, but here it is: I'm stalled now too. I've only lost 1 pound in the last week. I'm not upset about it or anything. And it may have more than a little to do with me having been sick this week, both in terms of it being a strain on my system and in terms of me not being up for walking every day like usual.

I also sort of have a paranoid suspicion that because I'm now at my lowest weight in ten years, my body is fighting me to hold steady.

Nothing to do but wait and be extra careful with what I eat, tracking, etc. I do have a doctor's appointment tomorrow so I will see if they have any thoughts on how I might tweak my macros.

hang in there! You got this!

My co-worker across the room from me (it's not a big room) opened a Coke and I swear to Xenu, my head turned so fast towards him, I wonder if I gave myself whiplash. I haven't had soda since a couple weeks before the surgery... :(

But hey, so far I've lost 40 pounds and I have roughly 136 more to go. :)