Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

August Sleevers-How are you doing??

I was on about 300 for the first 2 weeks, when I went back to work I upped my calories to about 400 - 450 a day. I'm just not hungry at all.

I'm finding that I'm a little tired though,so I've just been to the store and brought some Protein Drinks which should help.

Apart from being a bit tired I feel great, and getting a few compliments about my weight loss hasn't hurt any :)

10 hours ago, BigAussieGirl said:

Hi August sleevers, I had my sleeve on 21 August 2017 and so far I'm down a total of 25 kg (I think that's about 55 pounds).

A question - how many calories a day are you consuming? I'm don't have an appointment with my NUT for a few more weeks and I'm interested to see how many calories others are consuming. I'm currently on minced /very soft food.

I'm confident getting sleeved is the best life decision I've ever made!

My surgery was the same date as yours. I've lost 14 since the surgery but 53 overall since the first doctor visit. I am not figuring out how to get calories up to even 800 as my doctor would like but he seems satisfied with where I'm at on everything. I usually don't get near 400 calories a day. On soft food for one more week.

On 9/8/2017 at 9:50 PM, KateBruin said:

So strange. I'm supposed to have 3 full 6 oz meals and 2 Snacks. They really emphasize taking advantage of all 5 feedings.

I weighed myself last night and was at 229. 14 or so from surgery and the rest from working out. I'm just dying to get back into my heavy workout routine. This walking business is so boring.

Do you also have to stop drinking before, during and after meals? I have to stop drinking 30 minutes before I eat, and not drink while I eat and I'm allotted 30 minutes to eat. Then I can't drink for another 30 minutes after I eat. That's really difficult for me.

My surgeon said 600-800 and I'm almost four weeks out. I'm bummed cuz I am hungry. Every three hours or so i eat. My DR said that's ok but I'm jealous of you that aren't hungry!! I don't have cravings and I only eat three small "meals" and maybe one or two Snacks. But my tummy grumbles after three hours and wants me to eat. I've been stalled for 10 days now and trying not to let it get me down. Buttttt it kind of is. I just started swimming. About 30 minutes a day the past two days- so I'm hopeful continuing that will finally get the scale to move

good luck everyone :)

Ps. My surgeon said you can drink before you eat but wait thirty minutes after you eat. I had the same concern and it was really hard for me to get my liquids in. She told me this last week and it's helped a lot.

I'm not suppose to drink for 30 mins, before during and after but I can't eat without drinking as I can't swallow my food so I just take little sips.

When I eat and for about 30 mins after, I feel ill - I'm hungry, but after a couple of bites i don't want it, I feel sick and get a headache. It takes me ages to eat anything. Weights going up and down like a yo yo, but slowly going down. However, my clothes are telling me that I'm losing more than the scales are showing.

Im going on holiday in a weeks time to Sicily and I'm worried about how I will manage. 🤢

I'm sorry! I hope you feel better soon and enjoy your holiday.

I still get really nauseous after drinking Water for some reason. And nauseous after drinking Protein Shakes. But I can drink Crystal light and ice tea with no problems. And eat real food with no problems. Even though I'm not supposed to eat solids yet-I kinda moved onto them because I couldn't handle that nauseous feeling anymore.

I also was told I drinking 30 min before and 30 after which is a challenge cause I want to drink, yet struggle the rest of the day to get my liquids in... crazy.

im eating more solid foods, turkey burger for dinner last night with a small amount of fat free cheese. I manage about 3.5 oz burger and a few soft veggies. Takes about 35 min to eat that.

going to a support meeting wed so I'm looking for ideas because the dr said to eat low fat, low sugar others say watch carbs but the yogurt recommended in my plan is cannon Greek triple zero but has 15g carbs which I thought was kind of high.

So im sticking to the lean turkey for burgers, egg beaters with fat free ham for now until I can figure out how to be more creative without blowing the fat or carb count!

@Kimmerann I feel the same... I eat about 800 calories per day but 4 weeks out I feel hungry but I only eat a little bit each time... some days are better than others all we can do is keep going this is a tool not a solution. I too am jealous of those who are not hungry but I'm also thankful that I can drink without getting sick and I do consuming over 100 oz of liquids daily. My dr said not to drink 30 mins before or after and it's hard so if I feel thirsty or something is a little spicy I sip a little but not drink drink. Good luck to all of you... this is all new and as long as we do our best we will be successful

Try salmon, the list below might help with high Protein foods

Top 10 Protein food List

3 Salmon Fillets

1. Fish (Cod, tuna, Salmon) - 17g (35% DV) in 3 oz (85g)

1 gram protein per 4.2 calories
20g (41% DV) in 100g

Other fish high in protein per fillet(3oz or 85g): Tuna (22g), Salmon (22g), Halibut (22g), Snapper (22g), Perch(21g), Flounder and Sole (21g), Cod (20g), Tilapia (17g).
Click to see complete nutrition facts.

A bowl of non-fat cottage cheese

2. cheese (Non-Fat Mozzarella) - 36g (71% DV) in 1 cup, shredded (113g)

1 gram protein per 4.4 calories*
32g (63% DV) in 100g

Other cheese high in protein per ounce(28g): Parmesan (10g), Romano (9g), Low-fat Swiss Cheese (8g), Low-fat Cheddar (6g), Low-fat Cottage Cheese (5g). *Low Fat Mozzarella and Cottage Cheese provide the most protein per calorie, full fat cheeses typically only provide 1g protein per 20 calories and are less optimal sources of protein.

Roasted Turkey Breast

3. Lean Turkey and chicken (Turkey Breast) - 25g (50% DV) in 3 oz (85g)

1 gram protein per 4.5 calories
30g (59% DV) in 100g

More Chicken and Turkey: Chicken Leg - Drumsticks (60g) provides 16g protein. Chicken Thigh (37g) provides 9g protein. 3oz serving of Chicken Breast (85grams) provides 14g protein.

A Beef Roast

4. Lean Beef and Veal (Low Fat) - 31g (61% DV) in 3 oz (85g)

1 gram protein per 5.3 calories
36g (72% DV) in 100g

T-Bone Steak 3oz (28g) provides 19g of protein, 1 Piece of Beef Jerky (20g) provides 7g of protein.

A Pork Chop

5. Pork Loin (Chops) - 41g (82% DV) in 1 chop (137g)

1 gram protein per 5.4 calories
30g (60% DV) in 100g

Sirloin Roast 3oz (28g) provides 23g of protein, Ham 3oz (28g) provides 18g of protein, 1 slice of bacon (8g) provides 3g of protein.

A block of firm tofu

6. Tofu - 6g (13% DV) in 1 slice (84g)

1 gram protein per 7.9 calories
7g (15% DV) in 100g

1 cup (252g) of firm tofu provides 20g protein. 1 cup of soft tofu (248g) provides 16g protein. 1 cup of tempeh (166g) provides 31g protein. Click to see complete nutrition facts.

A bowl of yogurt and a cup of milk

7. Yogurt, Milk, and Soymilk - 14g (27% DV) in 1 cup (8 fl oz) (245g)

1 gram protein per 9.3 calories
6g (11% DV) in 100g

1 cup skim milk (245g) provides 8g protein, 1 cup soymilk (243g) provides 8g protein.

Green Soybeans in a Bowl

8. Beans (Mature Soy Beans) - 31g (62% DV) in 1 cup (172g)

1 gram protein per 9.6 calories
31g (62% DV) in 1 cup (172g)
18g (36% DV) in 100g

Other beans high in protein per cup cooked: Kidney Beans (17g), White Beans (17g), Lima Beans (15g), Fava Beans (14g), Black Beans (15g), Mung Beans (14g).
Click for full list of high protein beans.

Eggs

9. eggs (Especially Egg Whites) - 6g (13% DV) in 1 large (50g)

1 gram protein per 11.9 calories
13g (25% DV) in 100g

1 Egg White (33g) provides 4g protein, 1g protein to 4.4 calories. 1 cup of scrambled eggs (220g) provides 22g protein.

A pile of squash seeds

10. Nuts and Seeds (Pumpkin, Squash, and Watermelon Seeds) - 8g (17% DV) in 1 oz (28g)

1 gram protein per 19.1 calories
30g (60% DV) in 100g
Other nuts and seeds high in protein (grams protein per ounce (28g)):Peanuts (7g), Almonds (6g), Pistachios (6g), Sunflower Seeds (6g), Flaxseed (5g), Mixed Nuts (4g).
Click for full list of high protein nuts.

The first week was hell for me. I'm now 3 weeks out and it is much better. I'm eating soft foods probably too early but so far ok. It does get easier. I'm hoping it just becomes part of who I am and it doesn't bother me anymore. The weight loss will come. I had a big stall for about 5 days now it is just falling off. You will get there you will e able to eat again in the future but in much smaller portions. Hang in there.

Has anyone started exercising? Besides walking

Not yet. Just a bit of walking. Going to start swimming in next couple of weeks.

I like your attitude @fight! I keep telling myself this will work but with a day 10 stall it's easy to feel bummed. Then I try to snap out of it and just look forward to what's going to come (hopefully!!)

Do you also have to stop drinking before, during and after meals? I have to stop drinking 30 minutes before I eat, and not drink while I eat and I'm allotted 30 minutes to eat. Then I can't drink for another 30 minutes after I eat. That's really difficult for me.

I want told 15 min before and 30 after but 9/10 yes. Occasionally I'll realize it's time for my meds so I have to take a sip. It really is difficult.