Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

August Sleevers-How are you doing??

I too have apnea and the full mask does make some awful dry mouth.... it literally hurts to move my tongue around in the morning

I have apnea too and have the same thing happening with my full face mask. And the bad breath is awful.

On 8/25/2017 at 2:54 PM, Allie_Shannon said:

Sleeves August 15th. Down 21 lbs today. Did Clear Liquids first week. At one week post op my MD moved me to soft foods slowly and gradually. I've done one egg which was hard. Might try tuna for supper. Grits did well and mashed potatoes I usually only do one a day and still have broth for other meals. Was full of energy Wednesday (8 days post op) but yesterday and today I've been very tired. Hoping to go back to work Monday with restrictions! So glad I've done this!

Hi, I had my 8/15/17 also. The 1st 2 weeks I felt great, but now I am exhausted. I followed my doctors orders and I lost 34 pounds. Unfortunately I can barely eat or drink anything and it's worse now that I am on soft foods. I cannot tolerate any soft Proteins. After 2 teaspoons I feel stuffed like I want to throw up. The doctor told me this will get better and just try to gradually eat more as my stomach is still swollen. The only thing I can eat without feeling stuffed is sugar free Jello cups and sugar free apple sauce with Protein added. I am sure this is why I am so tired and lost so much so quickly. There is no way I can go to work with no energy. I may have to go back to pureed Beans and pureed chicken vegetable Soup for a while. At least I was able to get down 2 ounces of that 3 times a day and I had more energy.

Sleeved 8/21 - Stayed one night in hospital. First few days were very unpleasant but they were over quickly and seem like a distant memory now (only 12 days ago). I have been doing really well with my Protein by drinking two premier shakes and one bottle of trusource protein Water. Those 3 things give me 80 grams of protein and I have reached my protein goal. Drink Crystal Light and Powerade Zero to get in my fluids. It feels like it takes me forever to drink things.

Today I was allowed to move to soft foods. I ate a hard boiled egg mashed-up with a bit of mayo and celery salt. I had no problem eating it other than hearing all kinds of strange noises in my new tummy. I wasn't hungry again for 5 hours. Had 1/2 cup of refried Beans with salsa. I had been worried about not feeling any restriction while on liquids only but let me say I can definitely feel it now with soft foods. Could only eat 1/4 cup of the beans before I knew I was full.

I haven't been good about exercising. I sleep a lot and I think it must have something to do with the extremely low amount of calories I am getting. I'm amazed anyone has the energy to move. So good for you all! I am hoping now that I am on soft foods my calories will increase enough to provide more energy. I also go back to work this work and that will definitely prevent a lot of napping lol

My other concern is that I have dealt with depression most of my adult life and I worry that is why I am sleeping a lot. I did have a few days right after getting home from the surgery where I was feeling very depressed and questioning myself and this decision. I think it was really more of me mourning the loss of comfort that food has provided. I find myself looking at food documentaries and food pictures and YouTube videos of others who have had this talk about food. I obviously have an addiction. It sucks because my doctor offers zero counseling, no nutritionist and no support groups.

Good luck to everyone. Hope you are all on the mend!

Sleeved 8/28 and had almost no pain. Some gas, but not painful--more uncomfortable or annoying. I've also had no problem with taking pills (haven't crushed them) or drinking the Protein Shakes. Not getting enough Water, though. Would just about kill for something else--I'm thinking I might just go ahead and try a spoonful of yogurt. I'm on full liquids and that's one of them, but the instructions say to do Protein shakes the first week and then add the other things . . . I dunno. Maybe I'll be sorry? I have not been exercising (bad me) and I'm kind of depressed because of some other issues--nothing to do with the sleeve, which I still think is a good, good thing I've done. Will feel that even more when I start seeing some weight loss . . .

I have been amazed at how differently we are all told to manage things by our various surgeons and dietitians. Compared to so many, I feel very fortunate to have had so little difficulty myself. I was sleeved on 8/21 and had a hiatal hernia repaired that I have lived with for 20+ years. The only physical trouble I had while in the hospital was being unable to sleep whatsoever and running a fever for a few hours. Then feeling like I had been hit by a truck on day 3 at home and getting all weepy for two days. I never had any nausea or vomiting but they did plenty in the hospital to head off nausea and it clearly worked for me. Crushing pills was so frustrating for me that when I saw several of you who don't have to do that, I stopped it a few days ago and am doing just fine. I am due to start stage 3 Monday but I feel ready to do it now. Puréed sounds awful but my dietitian told me as long as it's small and I chew it to death I don't have to purée everything. My worst issues have been dragon breath and Constipation along with major arthritis pain because I'm supposed to stay off Mobic and have not had it in a month. I have not felt overfull or any effects from the hernia repair. I saw someone who has been allowed to drink G2 but I was told no on that. I haven't posted weights yet so here goes and I'm not sure about abbreviations so it's:
highest weight right before 3-month diet-299;
after that diet- 271;
surgery weight after liquid diet - 257;
Currently 248 if my home scale is accurate;
and I am only 5'2" so I often thought of myself as Short Round from Indiana Jones movie.
Goal weight - not sure. They tell me ideal is 110, which I cannot imagine in my wildest dreams. I have the attitude that I will know it when I get there. I feel sure that 130 or 140 will feel just fine. I had the surgery because I was diagnosed with NAFLD.

Oh man the not being able to sleep in the hospital. It was torture. Same thing for my first two nights home. Slept sitting upright on my couch for about an hour at a time. I only had issues with pills in the hospital and it was the feeling that it was stuck when they gave me a Tylenol. I skipped most pills my first two nights home then just cut the huge ones in half and sit in a chair while I slowly take them. Not sure if I wrote that part here [emoji849]

I think the dragon breath is ketosis and/or all the artificial sweeteners.

I do a pitcher of crystal light instead of G2. G2 is just awful for some reason and regular Water taste like ass.

I'm curious how much weight you've lost since surgery. I feel like everyone is losing weight like crazy but I've lost roughly 14 lbs. (246 to 232ish). I eat between 700-1000 calories. MFP basically tells me I have an eating disorder.

Hey My name is Alexi andI I just had my sleeve completed on Aug 31, came home the next night. I also had numerous hernias and adhesions for the drs to fix which he stated took him 3/4 of his OR time. Upon waking i asked numerous times about medicine to help with gas pains. Know one provided any help, but that is what is killing me. sharp dull pain all throughout my body, mid sternal area. I feel as if the hernia repair is so tight I can't let a single burp out. I was wondering about medicinal marijuana as I use for sleep and anxiety, wanted to know how long I can before I can start using again. I need my sleep to heal. SW : 235 Pre op wt: 221 also good to mention Im 5'8

Don't know about the medical marijuana, but I also had hernia repair with mine and I feel the same, every sip I take I feel like there is a burp stuck in my sternum and can't get out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using BariatricPal mobile app

For XYZXYZXYZ1955 for exercise I just did small walks at first. I don't think they expect more then that. I know I couldn't do more then that at first. Even if its just walking back and forth around your house. I'm building my self up to longer walks and I'm really tired when I get back and usually take a nap. Keep up the good work.

On 02/09/2017 at 3:17 PM, dandelion247 said:

I was sleeved on August 16th. Was able to tolerate liquids and walk a bunch while in the hospital, so they released me after one overnight. Here are my impressions so far:

Week 1 -- Hell. Most Protein Drink formulations contain fake sugars, which I have pretty much hated with a passion since I knew they existed. I hate the flavors and the way my body feels consuming them. So, drinking anything sweet was grating and caused me great resentment. Probably not rational, but I'm giving myself a pass.

I also had a bad day about 5 days into recovery -- just crying and feeling terrible for myself all day long. On day 7, I turned a corner and felt better.

Gas pains: I was fortunate and never had really bad gas pains. I had them flare up every so often, in my shoulders, but they subsided quickly.

Sleeping: I created a weird pillow arrangement in my bed to allow me to sleep on my back with my upper body slightly elevated and my knees slightly bent and feet elevated. I've loved it so much, I'm continuing with it even though I'm healed enough now to sleep on my side. I took the prescribed pain meds for 6 nights after being released, to assist with sleep. After that, I stopped taking pain meds and went back to taking Ambien.

Going to the bathroom: Where before I was regular, I am now lucky if I can go twice a week, it seems. Hoping this changes.

Apnea: I have sleeve apnea and use a full-face mask. Combine this with not getting quite enough fluids yet, and the dry mouth that is caused is epic. I wake up and my mouth feels like lizard skin. Yuck! Not comfortable.

Week 2 -- Slightly less hellish than Week 1. Took walks around the neighborhood. Was fortunately able to stay out of work a full two weeks which helped a lot with stress levels, and I'm sure that assisted with my healing.

Week 3 -- I'm in the midst of it, and now I'm on puree foods (big step up from full fluids!). I'm back at work and am cleared for going in the pool. Still feeling mournful over the loss of the ability to just eat whatever my appetite craves, but I know this is for the best. Went and got a mani/pedi today to soothe myself. Trying to find other pleasures to replace excessive gourmet food!

I feel a LOT better on purees, because at least now it's real food and not processed Protein Drinks and Protein broths from powder. I was cleared to eat scrambled egg, cottage cheese, yogurt, and any puree concoction high in Protein.

Water: Still not getting 64 oz. a day. It's a work in progress.

Vitamins: Not getting 3 chewables in a day yet. Mostly getting 2 a day. Another work in progress.

Protein: Probably getting close to 50g a day, so I think I'm doing well there.

With the mask thing, are you using a humidifier with your unit? In Colorado, I get a humidifier with my unit by default.

Thankfully I have a humidifier with my machine so I upped it a little which has helped.

1/3 cup egg beaters, 1 no fat no carb mozzarella stick and 1 slice fat free no carb ham whipped together equals one of the best dinners I've had in a while!!!

16 hours ago, KateBruin said:

Oh man the not being able to sleep in the hospital. It was torture. Same thing for my first two nights home. Slept sitting upright on my couch for about an hour at a time. I only had issues with pills in the hospital and it was the feeling that it was stuck when they gave me a Tylenol. I skipped most pills my first two nights home then just cut the huge ones in half and sit in a chair while I slowly take them. Not sure if I wrote that part here emoji849.png

I think the dragon breath is ketosis and/or all the artificial sweeteners.

I do a pitcher of crystal light instead of G2. G2 is just awful for some reason and regular Water taste like ass.

I'm curious how much weight you've lost since surgery. I feel like everyone is losing weight like crazy but I've lost roughly 14 lbs. (246 to 232ish). I eat between 700-1000 calories. MFP basically tells me I have an eating disorder.

Well, as far as sleeping position, my back is so messed up that I can't sleep for long in a bed without waking up hurting so badly that I have to get up anyway so I sleep in a recliner.

Before the surgery, I drank lots of Water but it tastes awful to me now. I am trying some drinks that have Protein but are not the usual chocolate or vanilla. They are just protein waters with flavoring. I tried some I got at Sam's that I think were Premier Protein tropical punch flavor but I couldn't stand those. Husband said that they tasted like moose piss. Their chocolate drinks are good though.

If my old scales are to be believed, then I have only lost 9 pounds since the surgery. I have ordered some digital scales that I am hoping will be more accurate. Also, on Tuesday I have my post-op appointment so I'll be finding out what they think I weigh on their scales. I haven't gotten more than 300 cal a day since the surgery so it seems to me it should be more than 9 pounds. I walk as much as I can. I usually go walk around the track once. I have a long driveway and walk up and down it sometimes. I've lost more than 50 pounds though from the day I began the three-month doctor-supervised diet that I had to do so I am happy with that as my overall number of pounds lost.

25 minutes ago, Jill4329 said:

Well, as far as sleeping position, my back is so messed up that I can't sleep for long in a bed without waking up hurting so badly that I have to get up anyway so I sleep in a recliner.

Before the surgery, I drank lots of Water but it tastes awful to me now. I am trying some drinks that have Protein but are not the usual chocolate or vanilla. They are just Protein waters with flavoring. I tried some I got at Sam's that I think were Premier Protein tropical punch flavor but I couldn't stand those. Husband said that they tasted like moose piss. Their chocolate drinks are good though.

If my old scales are to be believed, then I have only lost 9 pounds since the surgery. I have ordered some digital scales that I am hoping will be more accurate. Also, on Tuesday I have my post-op appointment so I'll be finding out what they think I weigh on their scales. I haven't gotten more than 300 cal a day since the surgery so it seems to me it should be more than 9 pounds. I walk as much as I can. I usually go walk around the track once. I have a long driveway and walk up and down it sometimes. I've lost more than 50 pounds though from the day I began the three-month doctor-supervised diet that I had to do so I am happy with that as my overall number of pounds lost.

What is your starting point that you have "only lost 9 pounds since the surgery" is a bad thing? According to your profile, you had surgery 14 days ago (by my rough count). From my understanding, if you have more to lose, your numbers might be larger. For example, my pre-operative weight was 144.69 kg (319 pounds) fully clothed. Being almost one week out, my current weight is 139 kg (306 pounds) naked. So, I guess the question is, what are your numbers?

Sleeves August 15th. Down 21 lbs today. Did Clear Liquids first week. At one week post op my MD moved me to soft foods slowly and gradually. I've done one egg which was hard. Might try tuna for supper. Grits did well and mashed potatoes I usually only do one a day and still have broth for other meals. Was full of energy Wednesday (8 days post op) but yesterday and today I've been very tired. Hoping to go back to work Monday with restrictions! So glad I've done this!

Thanks for your post! So you only did liquids for a week and then went into slow foods? Just curious as I know there are so many variations of post op diets I'm curious and trying to plan right.