Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

August Sleevers-How are you doing??

1 minute ago, Janet610 said:

It's interesting how each surgeon is different. I was sleeved on 8/15 and was allowed to start purees and soft foods (scrambled eggs, cream of wheat) last Tuesday. Egg beaters with some fat free mozzarella stick has been my go to meal LOL

Still struggling to get my liquids in as well as my Water goal, but I feel pretty good!

good luck!

Yeah, it's surprisingly YMMV. I mean, the individual aspect is a given but the surgeons each having their own timeline as to when they start someone on full liquids, puréed, soft food and diet for life is fascinating. I spoke with a nurse at my surgeon's office today and she told me that as long as I am able to tolerate full liquids, that I should be able to move to a puréed diet. Since I hurled my Carnation Instant Breakfast (yeah, they make you drink that cr@p on the liquid diet), I guess it's going to take me a few more days before I can handle puréed food.

Hey My name is Alexi andI I just had my sleeve completed on Aug 31, came home the next night. I also had numerous hernias and adhesions for the drs to fix which he stated took him 3/4 of his OR time. Upon waking i asked numerous times about medicine to help with gas pains. Know one provided any help, but that is what is killing me. sharp dull pain all throughout my body, mid sternal area. I feel as if the hernia repair is so tight I can't let a single burp out. I was wondering about medicinal marijuana as I use for sleep and anxiety, wanted to know how long I can before I can start using again. I need my sleep to heal. SW : 235 Pre op wt: 221 also good to mention Im 5'8

Edited by LexiRN

Hey My name is Alexi andI I just had my sleeve completed on Aug 31, came home the next night. I also had numerous hernias and adhesions for the drs to fix which he stated took him 3/4 of his OR time. Upon waking i asked numerous times about medicine to help with gas pains. Know one provided any help, but that is what is killing me. sharp dull pain all throughout my body, mid sternal area. I feel as if the hernia repair is so tight I can't let a single burp out. I was wondering about medicinal marijuana as I use for sleep and anxiety, wanted to know how long I can before I can start using again. I need my sleep to heal. SW : 235 Pre op wt: 221 also good to mention Im 5'8

My only concern would be taking it while the narcotics are in your system. I would wait till your system is clear of them and you're only using liquid Tylenol for pain. Double check with you MD but I wouldn't mix it with narcotics like Vicodin or any others. It's pretty benign stuff so I wouldn't assume it would be an issue other than dealing with head hunger and the intensified effect MJ can cause.

5'7 HW: 256 SW: 248
CW: 235 At 2 week post op GW: 150
Fantasy GW: 135 Sleeved 8/7

I was sleeved on the 7th and am soooooo close to soft Foods-next Monday!! Every time I introduce a new food in the lovely puréed stage I feel icky after. I don't fully dump but I get hot and sweaty and have to lay down for a bit. It does pass. Today was the worst with a food choice that may have been too fatty. When I introduced some puréed chicken salad, it was a bit too rich too. I'm back to ricotta bake, Protein Shakes and Soups. I'm excited to have a soft scrambled egg on Monday!! My family is off to get burgers and fries and I miss being able to go get some too. But man, if I were to even take a bite, ugh... I'd be bed bound for the night. Now I fully understand why the dietician told me to make sure I try new foods at home! This whole thing is crazy! I'll be 4 weeks post op Monday! Wow! Flying by!!!! God bless bariatric hot chocolate made with milk otherwise without the 25 grams of a Protein boost, I would not be getting enough protein! I'm also still struggling to get all my liquids in.

5'7 HW: 256 SW: 248
CW: 235 At 2 week post op GW: 150
Fantasy GW: 135 Sleeved 8/7

Omg I'm right there with you but my day is Wednesday (possibly Thursday?). I refuse to puree foods like chicken salad. Most I've pureed is Tomato Soup and broccoli cheese Soup to make sure it isn't chunky. I have cheated and had half a soft boiled egg. It was heavenly. I'm dreaming of tuna, chicken salad, egg. Anything but the **** I've been eating. I don't even know if I'll make it to Wednesday.

6 hours ago, Véronique said:

Yeah, it's surprisingly YMMV. I mean, the individual aspect is a given but the surgeons each having their own timeline as to when they start someone on full liquids, puréed, soft food and diet for life is fascinating. I spoke with a nurse at my surgeon's office today and she told me that as long as I am able to tolerate full liquids, that I should be able to move to a puréed diet. Since I hurled my Carnation Instant Breakfast (yeah, they make you drink that cr@p on the liquid diet), I guess it's going to take me a few more days before I can handle puréed food.

I have been amazed at how differently we are all told to manage things by our various surgeons and dietitians. Compared to so many, I feel very fortunate to have had so little difficulty myself. I was sleeved on 8/21 and had a hiatal hernia repaired that I have lived with for 20+ years. The only physical trouble I had while in the hospital was being unable to sleep whatsoever and running a fever for a few hours. Then feeling like I had been hit by a truck on day 3 at home and getting all weepy for two days. I never had any nausea or vomiting but they did plenty in the hospital to head off nausea and it clearly worked for me. Crushing pills was so frustrating for me that when I saw several of you who don't have to do that, I stopped it a few days ago and am doing just fine. I am due to start stage 3 Monday but I feel ready to do it now. Puréed sounds awful but my dietitian told me as long as it's small and I chew it to death I don't have to purée everything. My worst issues have been dragon breath and Constipation along with major arthritis pain because I'm supposed to stay off Mobic and have not had it in a month. I have not felt overfull or any effects from the hernia repair. I saw someone who has been allowed to drink G2 but I was told no on that. I haven't posted weights yet so here goes and I'm not sure about abbreviations so it's:

highest weight right before 3-month diet-299;

after that diet- 271;

surgery weight after liquid diet - 257;

Currently 248 if my home scale is accurate;

and I am only 5'2" so I often thought of myself as Short Round from Indiana Jones movie.

Goal weight - not sure. They tell me ideal is 110, which I cannot imagine in my wildest dreams. I have the attitude that I will know it when I get there. I feel sure that 130 or 140 will feel just fine. I had the surgery because I was diagnosed with NAFLD.

I agree, the thought of puréeing everything does not appeal to me. My husband insisted on trying to help me by pureeing some lean center cuts from a steak he grilled for him and the kids the other night and I stood watching it blend and was all set. I just couldn't. I'm holding fast to scrambled egg beaters I add a fat free cheese stick to and chew beyond belief.

I was told to stay away from steak. For puree part I'm sticking with basic stuff I'm not going over board on this part, it's only a couple of weeks and then real food!! I tried the 98% FF cream of chicken Soup but wasn't impressed and not enough Protein. So I'm sticking the basic, I know it's not exciting or a big variety but it works for me. The liquid eggs are growing on me and I've always liked cottage cheese. I guess the best source of protein is the Premier Protein shakes I can take 4oz now, my instructions say it's ok for weeks 3 & 4 so that's 10g of protein there.

Edited by hboston

1 hour ago, hboston said:

I was told to stay away from steak. For puree part I'm sticking with basic stuff I'm not going over board on this part, it's only a couple of weeks and then real food!! I tried the 98% FF cream of chicken Soup but wasn't impressed and not enough Protein. So I'm sticking the basic, I know it's not exciting or a big variety but it works for me. The liquid eggs are growing on me and I've always liked cottage cheese. I guess the best source of Protein is the Premier Protein shakes I can take 4oz now, my instructions say it's ok for weeks 3 & 4 so that's 10g of protein there.

Yeah, my program told me to stay away from steak too. Actually, I was told that I should stay away from beef, veal, and pork. When I met with the nutritionist that works with the programme, she said that it is because it is a very dense protein and even in the "Diet for Life" section, it reads "Slowly advance to tender chicken, turkey, pork and beef".

Sleeved on 8/28. Still having discomfort from gas amd bloating which makes the surgical and incision sites irritated. I'm up to walking 2 miles a day now. I had to take half of a pain pill last night due to over exertion. Otherwise, I have NOT been able to consume 50 oz of Water amd I'm not getting all of my Protein in. The shakes amd killing me. I'm really done with them. I've add protein to cream of wheat, ff cream of chicken and at chocolate pudding. I've even added PB2B powder to the shakes and pudding for some variety. I am still tired and it still takes forever to urinate. How's everyone else doing?

I was sleeved on 8/15 and I'm down about 40lbs

was able to walk a mile today which is a huge deal because due to my high weight (I started at 356 preop) and have had such awful back pain for years that I've been basically sedentary. Doing a lot of scrambled egg beaters with a fat free mozzarella stick blended in it. Very low fat, no cal and a little Protein

i like the Premier Protein shakes so I don't mind 1 a day but I'm not getting the Water in. Really have to work on that!

Sounds like you are doing great Janet610, keep up the good work. Try Crystal Light with the Water that helps me drink more water, if I can get in at least 48 oz I feel I'm doing ok. I like the Premier Protein shakes too they really help get the Protein in.

I was sleeved on August 16th. Was able to tolerate liquids and walk a bunch while in the hospital, so they released me after one overnight. Here are my impressions so far:

Week 1 -- Hell. Most Protein Drink formulations contain fake sugars, which I have pretty much hated with a passion since I knew they existed. I hate the flavors and the way my body feels consuming them. So, drinking anything sweet was grating and caused me great resentment. Probably not rational, but I'm giving myself a pass.

I also had a bad day about 5 days into recovery -- just crying and feeling terrible for myself all day long. On day 7, I turned a corner and felt better.

Gas pains: I was fortunate and never had really bad gas pains. I had them flare up every so often, in my shoulders, but they subsided quickly.

Sleeping: I created a weird pillow arrangement in my bed to allow me to sleep on my back with my upper body slightly elevated and my knees slightly bent and feet elevated. I've loved it so much, I'm continuing with it even though I'm healed enough now to sleep on my side. I took the prescribed pain meds for 6 nights after being released, to assist with sleep. After that, I stopped taking pain meds and went back to taking Ambien.

Going to the bathroom: Where before I was regular, I am now lucky if I can go twice a week, it seems. Hoping this changes.

Apnea: I have sleeve apnea and use a full-face mask. Combine this with not getting quite enough fluids yet, and the dry mouth that is caused is epic. I wake up and my mouth feels like lizard skin. Yuck! Not comfortable.

Week 2 -- Slightly less hellish than Week 1. Took walks around the neighborhood. Was fortunately able to stay out of work a full two weeks which helped a lot with stress levels, and I'm sure that assisted with my healing.

Week 3 -- I'm in the midst of it, and now I'm on puree foods (big step up from full fluids!). I'm back at work and am cleared for going in the pool. Still feeling mournful over the loss of the ability to just eat whatever my appetite craves, but I know this is for the best. Went and got a mani/pedi today to soothe myself. Trying to find other pleasures to replace excessive gourmet food!

I feel a LOT better on purees, because at least now it's real food and not processed Protein Drinks and Protein broths from powder. I was cleared to eat scrambled egg, cottage cheese, yogurt, and any puree concoction high in protein.

Water: Still not getting 64 oz. a day. It's a work in progress.

Vitamins: Not getting 3 chewables in a day yet. Mostly getting 2 a day. Another work in progress.

Protein: Probably getting close to 50g a day, so I think I'm doing well there.