Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

August Sleevers-How are you doing??

Hey all, my surgery is not until August 30th.... 5 days!!!! EEEEkkk!!!! But I am curious to know how my fellow August sleevers are doing. What are your experiences? What things did or did not happen as you expected? Any tips for those of us about to join the Losers team and embark on this journey with you?

I agree with Queen Tiff. It is rough! I was sleeved on August 10th and I am still on this horrible liquid diet. I don't eat anything and I still have horrible acid reflux. I was taking a prescription from my doctor for the reflux and it wasn't helping. I asked if I can take Nexium and it is not helping. So I just bought Pepcid and going to see how it work. I can have soft foods starting Thursday and I am on the count down.

I had surgery August 24th. I have some minor discomfort . Overall it's a life changing decision. I have to take small zips of Water. I'm doing a clear liquid diet. But seems very difficult to drink the amount of daily fluids required.

Responding to Kennalb above (not sure if I should do this another way- still learning my way around here and trying to figure out how to crop my picture), my surgery was also 8/21 and if I do like my book seems to say to do, I don't see how I can get in all the liquids and Protein. It says only about 3-4 ounces at meals and an ounce every 15 minutes otherwise. I know I can drink more than an ounce every 15 minutes and feel fine. And when I do the Protein Drink, I don't drink it as slowly as I'm supposed to, and I have felt fine. I have even gone up to 5 ounces and I'm fine. I guess we are just all different. I have quite a headache today but have not had any pain medicine because I was constipated from it. Now that's under control.

A concern I have is that I'm on a bunch of medication for other health conditions unrelated to the surgery so I have to crush pills, etc. I have a lot of pain unrelated to it. Figuring out how to deal with all that.

I too just had my surgery on August 21. I see how most of us can have issues getting all the fluids in. I basically drink all day. I try to sit with my family at dinner to feel normal as well. I am still on all liquids obviously but will be moving to stage 2 tomorrow/Monday. My biggest complaint as of now is basically not knowing when I'm full. My doctor said that that is normal until later in the process because liquids go through us faster. Also diarrhea. I don't care about that so much because my stomach doesn't hurt. Lol. I've had moments where I regret doing this because I am truly a food addict and need to address the mental piece as well but I feel good and am starting to look better. I have lost 14 pounds already so I'm happy.

Good luck!

Hi I'm was sleeve aug 21. ,surgery date I weight in at 213pd.5'4.First day I was feeling ok alittle out of it ,but not in too much pain,just gas pains,.Couldnt believe my intake was so little .Today im only 5days out I'm weighing in at 200.Atleast that's what my scale says .it was really hard getting anything down the first 3 days but now it's not as difficult,just get alittle down about the lost of food.,but I know in the end it will all be worth it .

Hi sleeve on 22Aug. 277 surgery day. I'm 5'5. Have not weighed yet since Tues. I can get liquids down but Water makes me nauseous still. Sounds like u r well on your way to success. Good luck

8 hours ago, PJTaylor said:

Day 4 at home for me and I did leave the house to go see a friend for just a little bit. It was nice to get out. Only problem I'm really having is diarrhea. I wish I was one of the people constipated. I'm sure they would say the same but this is awful and happens really fast so I'm kinda scared to be away from home.

i was sleeved August 14 and was doing great until day 3/4. i started having diarrhea. Got out my instructions that addressed post op diarrhea and started Immodium per instructions. I became weaker and weaker. Turns out I had developed C. Difficile. I ended up dehydrated and back in the hospital in isolation. I am better now and taking a pretty brutal course of oral antibiotics. I am getting my Protein and fluids in but it is an all consuming job to stay on top of it,

Don't let the diarrhea get out of control. If you start feeling weak, dry mouth, darkening urine, etc., contact your doctor. You can get dehydrated quickly. I held off too long and it was a miserable several days and I set myself back nutritionally.

Wishing you the best.

Mimi

Edited by Mimi of 2

Sometimes they don't I lost 34# and didn't cheat.. my calorie intake was 500-600 daily and my dr said my liver was huge...it is what it is...some don't shrink and some do...some people are born with large organs...he still was able to do the surgery...his concern was all the scarred tissue from a failed lap band I had removed back in 2010. I lost 85# but I was over restricted so much everything I ate mostly Soups. I threw up...it got to the point I couldn't even swallow my saliva....
Point is follow the instructions of ur dr office to the letter..only have 800 or less calories watch sugar/carbs

Time4Me2017

I just had mine done on the 22nd. I wish my experience was like some of yours. The surgery went well, and I was pretty much out of it the first night, but I was able to get up and walk around once. I have had problems with gas, but that is getting better. Stitches don't hurt that much but the muscles around the stitches hurt whenever I moved. That is getting better too, but still feel like I'm ripping something when I sneeze or cough. Worst part is when I try to drink. It feels like there is a lot of inflammation at the top of my ribs, in the center. Sometimes it feels like really bad indigestion when I try to drink something, even when I do it slowly. Now I did have trouble with reflux before, so that could be it. It's been hard to get down as much as they want you to, but I started the Protein Shakes today and it's been easier to keep down.
Although I haven't been hungry, it has not affected my love of food so I still see commercials and almost salivate over them. I'll be glad when I get to the mashed foods.

I feel quite the same I figured it was from getting the hernia fixed. It about in the same place.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

9 hours ago, Mimi of 2 said:

Don't let the diarrhea get out of control. If you start feeling weak, dry mouth, darkening urine, etc., contact your doctor. You can get dehydrated quickly. I held off too long and it was a miserable several days and I set myself back nutritionally.

Wishing you the best.

Mimi

Thank you so much for this information Mimi! I really appreciate it and will definitely do what you suggested. I go see my doctor on Thursday but will call earlier if necessary. I'm sorry you are having such a hard time. Are you home now? I hope you are back on your way to a full recovery.

PJ

Hi. Sleeved on 8/3. Down 23 lbs since surgery. Have definitely hit the three week stall! I'm getting better everyday with getting in enough Water, but struggling a bit with liquid protein--just kind of over it, but trying to work on it because I have struggled with feeling weak and tired. It's not been easy for me to take it slow, so I have to remind myself I just had surgery three weeks ago, and need to take better care of myself. I am also battling Constipation, even taking benefited everyday and hitting 60oz fluids. Good luck to you!

Surgery on 8/10.

Healing has been good. Maybe too good? My biggest concern is I don't seem feel the restriction as I expected :-| However, my diet is only at the pureed stage - so maybe it is just that things slide down? My calorie count is around 600, but I feel like I am eating too much. beverages go down pretty easily, but I do have to remind myself to drink to get in the recommended amount. I can see how one could easily regain weight with beverages alone.

I am working on taking more time to eat the pureed foods (eating slowly is a challenge from my before WLS too). I have actually started to use a timer (and yes, I rolled my eyes when someone suggested that, but it does help). I also feel more hungry in the evening than I do during the day.

While I was happy with my weight loss from the pre-op through the first week post-op, I have definitely slowed down...

I am working at getting back to walking (the bring your heart rate up kind) and find that I tire a lot sooner than I feel like I should. Regular movement is fine. Building up stamina is a focus for this week.

I too have had some minor Constipation. I take generic colace daily, and that seems to keep things moving.

The other thing... hubby and I went out last night to the horse races. Lots of concession foods around, and pre-op this was not food I would have been interested in eating, but for some reason last night the smells made me feel like I desperately wanted things like a hot dog and a beer. I did not indulge, but the sensation reminded me of when I used to go on extreme diets, then would get around forbidden food again for the first time... I have not been on an extreme diet since my teens, and the memory and sensation was vivid. Pre-op I would not have chosen a hot dog - so it was weird that I felt like that was what I wanted. The beer, I would have had, but I am committed to skipping alcohol until I get to maintenance (or longer depending on when that happens). If I keep having these types of experiences, then I think some work with a therapist who works with WLS patients may be in order.

The other thing that I am learning, I must bring high Protein items with me to eat so I don't get too hungry. Right now that is hard because most of my protein is coming from shakes - and that means bringing a insulated bag with an ice pack. Soon, I will be looking for high-protein Snacks or mini-meals that are healthy and travel well.

I pretty much feel like I'm dying but it's Sunday and I just got sleeved Wednesday. For now, my priorities are Water, Protein, then other stuff. No poop yet but I'm hoping it ok happen soon! lol. Kind of running out of interesting things to eat.