Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not Feeling Full?

My surgery got moved up a day - so I was on Clear Liquids for 8 days (my program is very limiting).

As much as I say I don't feel "full" like I expected too - once I started eating some food - I eat far less than I did before. There is no comparison.

I think it is more that the constriction I expected is simply not there the way I expected it. Both here and in face-to-face support group I go to, people talk about only being able to eat 1/2 an egg or less at first. I am able to eat 3-4 oz of food.

Thankfully, I have never thrown-up. I have not even felt nausea since day two post-op and that was very minor. So, those are the good things.

I have followed my program - and it is clear that this tool will help, and my bigger worry, that I will need to address is that while it will help, I am not going to have a honeymoon period of "I just can't handle eating that".

Yes, I understand that eventually everyone winds up in a place where they can regain the weight by returning to bad habits.

Honestly, I think it is a double edged sword. I certainly don't envy people who are sick for months and get dehydrated. However, I would love to feel like I have to remind myself to eat - and I don't. I have to measure my food, or I could sneak in too much. I am hopeful that when I eventually get to the point of being able to eat not softened Protein, that I will feel more of the restriction.

If I follow the prescribed eating pattern, which alternates food with protein, then I feel satisfied. I have learned though that when I am running around, I have to carry a Protein Shake with me - if something happens and I get off that schedule, then I feel hungry!

I am committed to making this work. I just keep thinking I should feel more full more easily.

I am there with you. We were put on soft solids at the hospital. Before discharge I was hungry and ate almost all the tuna salad they served. The first week I would pick the bigger more solid peices out of my mashed food and eat that. At my 1 week recheck my surgeon said it was ok that I am able to eat solids just stay at 4 ounces. I have been weighing everything and eating out of 4 ounce cups. I am on the verge of tears. I do not feel ' satisfied' on a regular basis. I wanted so much to experience what it felt like not to think about food all the time or have to 'negotiate' with myself about food all the time. My surgery was August 28th at almost 2 months out I need to eat about 5-6 ounces before I will feel satisfied. I have never felt sick from eating or unable to handle any Protein or vegetable at this point. I have not pushed to that point and refuse to consume more than 6 ounces, but I know will power is not infinite, we only have a limited amount and I just feel scared that my pouch is not small enough or that this didn't work for me. My weight loss has been on track so far and the psych says not to worry that I am not suffering. But as all of us who have dieted our whole lives know we need a little negative reinforcement to learn correct eating behaviors and portions :(

I might get negative comments for this, but have you tried eating until you do feel full and just measuring how much that takes? And really feeling what full feels like for you now? That is generally what I have been doing and it is satisfying to me. As long as you follow your eating plan, EAT SLOWLY and actually stop when you feel full, that could help.

Sent from my SM-G935T using BariatricPal mobile app

Thank you for you suggestion. I tried it. I do get full around 7 ounces, and stay full for many hours. not painful, but that feeling that I can not take one more bite or it will stay in my throat and not go down. The scary part for me, is this is the smallest our stomachs will ever be and will stretch from here, if I am at 7 ounces now, what will happen in 6 months from now? on the plus side I have had no problem with the daily Protein requirements. Last time I spoke with the surgeon , he said stay at 4 ounces even if you dont feel full. I feel like if I could do that I wouldn't have needed surgery in the first place. Here's to hoping that my new stomach starts talking to me !

Thank you for you suggestion. I tried it. I do get full around 7 ounces, and stay full for many hours. not painful, but that feeling that I can not take one more bite or it will stay in my throat and not go down. The scary part for me, is this is the smallest our stomachs will ever be and will stretch from here, if I am at 7 ounces now, what will happen in 6 months from now? on the plus side I have had no problem with the daily Protein requirements. Last time I spoke with the surgeon , he said stay at 4 ounces even if you dont feel full. I feel like if I could do that I wouldn't have needed surgery in the first place. Here's to hoping that my new stomach starts talking to me !

My surgeon mentioned that we should eat till we are not hungry anymore not till we are full...it's not a negative comment just something to think about...different days ur fullness can change and that can lead to overeating which can lead to gain/no weight loss...

Yes I have the hunger scale diagram on the fridge. It says to eat till satisfied. Thats about 6.5 ounces for me -7 is full. I must say I am envious of those that are satisfied at 2 ounces

On 10/22/2017 at 1:43 PM, Jen S said:

Yes I have the hunger scale diagram on the fridge. It says to eat till satisfied. Thats about 6.5 ounces for me -7 is full. I must say I am envious of those that are satisfied at 2 ounces

For me it depends on what I'm eating. Every morning I make a scrambled egg with Tomato. It usually ends up between 4 and 5 ounces, but it's mostly tomato. I use 1 egg each day. At lunch if I have tuna or chicken I can't eat 5 ounces...usually between 3 and 4...I try not to eat carbs like Pasta or bread because it fills me up too much. Also, before my surgery I was an Atkins girl so I think it's partly habit. Are you keeping a food journal? That really helps me to sort out patterns that might be working against me. Wishing you the best!

Hi Tammy,

Thank you for sharing that with me. I feel better about the 5 ounces. Yes I have kept a log with my fitnesspal for the last 4 years ( god send or I would have been 600 pounds prior to surgery)

My Posts and my concerns are not because I am not doing everything the doctor told me to, I am staying between 700-1000 calories a day. I am getting all my Protein, I am exercising, and have not touched carbs since the 2 week liquid diet prior to surgery, I am loosing weight on tract according to the doctor. My concern is that I do not have the negative reinforcement training tool I was anticipating, and I did not have the "honeymoon" period of no appetite. Its a concern, because 1) i was hoping to experience that and 2) will power does not have an infinite supply. I wanted to post in case anyone else was in the same boat as I am. On the plus side things that have changed since surgery. I have been able to pass up carbs. Prior to surgery I couldn't never have gone 12 weeks with out carbs. Also I do get fully satisfied with 5.5 ounces, and can stay under 1000 calories a day ( would never have been possible prior to surgery) Also I am discovering I have very different signs of my stomach communicating with my brain. I never feel sick, but when I am full before my brain recognizes it i will get a bitter taste from the food. Also it takes me an hour not 20 mins to register "satisfaction" so now I can calm down knowing in an hour the hunger anxiety will end.

If anyone else is experiencing the same know your not alone. My appetite was not suppressed post op.