Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well, I have just come home from my surgery, which was 3 days ago. I thought I wouldn't be hungry, but I am honestly hungry - ALOT. Is this normal? And if so, when should it get better? THANKS for the help!!

I had my surgery one day before yours, I do find myself getting hungry but not half as much as I was prior to surgery. I do not know how much Protein you are managing to get in but I have determined that as long as I am eating something with high amounts of protein then I usually do not get that hungry. I have resorted to some clear Soups as well as sugar free popsicles but have noticed that they do not hold off my hunger for long. If I have some greek yogurt then that will last for several hours vs maybe an hour or so for the Soup. Not sure if it helps but good luck!

18 hours ago, KateHH said:

Well, I have just come home from my surgery, which was 3 days ago. I thought I wouldn't be hungry, but I am honestly hungry - ALOT. Is this normal? And if so, when should it get better? THANKS for the help!!

It is not real hunger, your tummy has just had surgery so your tummy over reacts as things are healng i felt extreme painful hunger pains. give your body a chance to settle down.

Kate,

I am 2 weeks post op and feel the same. I thought I wouldn't be hungry at all and I find the opposite. Two themes I've noted on reading the forums are 1) that sometimes hunger is actually excess acid and means I may need more meds for stomach acid and 2) that until I progress to some more substantive (e.g., whole) Protein food, I might not feel as full. I plan to ask my bariatric nurse for advice and you might want to do the same. The other theory I keep hearing about is "head hunger" but that didn't seem very informative as one could argue I had "head hunger" versus physical hunger pre-op as well. Anyhow, its early in the journey but this caught me by surprise as well.

I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling this way. I am six days. Pot op and the first three days I thought I was gonna die because I was not hungry thirsty and everything I try to eat or drink taste so horrible I couldn't even put it to my mouth now these last three days everything taste normal and I am feeling hungry even after my Protein Shakes. So I thought maybe this wasn't going to work for me or something. I was more full before surgery with Protein Shake. Now after well it gos up and down hungry after shake and then like not even finish in a couple sips and then fill so full. Stomach is just all freaking out!!!

It took me about 3 weeks to determine my head hungry was real hunger. Nut told me to increase Soup thickness slightly, it helped. I dealt with it until I got on softs.

You will find it's not actually 100% hunger it's caused by trapped wind and indigestion. I'm 1 year out and I still have to think carefully am "I really hungry"? Your stomach is now so small it can hardly hold a fistful of food. Over the next year you will learn you do not need much food at all to survive. It's all about healthy choices one year out. I've lost 7 stone and have my life back . Believe me It's worth every effort you put in now to change...