Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Amazon Announces post-merger Whole Foods Will Stop Gouging People

So, when I was pissing away time on Facebook today, I saw an article that Whole Foods will start marking down prices on Monday and will start integrating Amazon Prime into their system to offer special deals to people with that service. So, I did some research and I found the press release from Amazon and it looks pretty legit. As someone who has been eating organic for the last 2 years or so, I'm hoping this turns out to be true.

What do you think about this development?

its good but its on a small selection of items. they state they will offer some perks but also emphasize in a roundabout way that the press release is not a promise that things might not go as planned. we shall see

I have been a Prime Member since it existed and I have shopped with Amazon since 1999.

I'm done with Whole Foods, nothing will get me to shop there again.

I like shopping at Lucky's Market. I completely gave up Trader Joe's and While Foods for Lucky's. The shopping experience is better, the sales are great and the regular prices are fair and affordable.

5 hours ago, lindabalseca said:

its good but its on a small selection of items. they state they will offer some perks but also emphasize in a roundabout way that the press release is not a promise that things might not go as planned. we shall see

Yeah, and it's possible that things might not go as planned. However, I think that they're going to try to integrate Amazon Prime into the Whole Foods experience in some way. They may also implement Amazon lockers at other locations, as those are things that already exist (I've seen them in places like a 7-Eleven in North Denver and an auto shop in Longmont). But as for the lower prices on some items, I think that's something that is fairly deliverable, given the fact that they announced it in the press release that is dated just a couple days before this is scheduled to occur. Now, the amount of discounted items in store might be minimal and might be limited to their store brands, but it is a start.

Of course, I could be completely wrong but hey, time may tell.

5 hours ago, OutsideMatchInside said:

I have been a Prime Member since it existed and I have shopped with Amazon since 1999.

I'm done with Whole Foods, nothing will get me to shop there again.

I like shopping at Lucky's Market. I completely gave up Trader Joe's and While Foods for Lucky's. The shopping experience is better, the sales are great and the regular prices are fair and affordable.

I've tried Lucky's Market and I have to say, I'm not exactly thrilled with the selection they have. Same with Trader Joes (the food there kinda tastes funny and plus, since the closest one is an hour bus trip away, I'm not exactly enthused to travel there).

I heard about that on my way to work, any little bit of savings I can get w/ my Prime, I'll take! lol

I love Amazon Now and Fresh, knowing I can now get Whole Foods as a part of it, makes me smile even more. :):D

Probably not a popular opinion, but I've never found Whole Foods to be that expensive. Sure, there are some pricey specialty items, but they have very cheap organic house-brand stuff and amazing produce sales. I can find organic and natural items there cheaper than I can at my local chain grocery store.

But hey, if Amazon want to make it cheaper then I guess why not. Hopefully quality doesn't suffer for it though!

Forgive me, but I know nothing about all of this. I use Amazon all the time, but do not have Prime at the time.

Do I need to get Prime to order Whole Foods?

This idea sounds like heaven to me!!

It is hard to engage in "price gouging" when people have the choice of half a dozen or more other merchants to shop at (when one is a sole supplier, it is a different story.) Overall, they do tend to offer higher quality products, meat and produce in particular, which does cost more to bring to market. Whether the higher cost is worth it relative to what one gets at Kroger, Albertson/Safeway, TJ;s, Sprouts, costco, Walmart, local farmers markets, etc. is an individual decision.

5 hours ago, heycrystal2052 said:

I heard about that on my way to work, any little bit of savings I can get w/ my Prime, I'll take! lol

I love Amazon Now and Fresh, knowing I can now get Whole Foods as a part of it, makes me smile even more. :):D

Well, it's already worth it to me to have free 2-day shipping. The fact that I get to watch certain shows on Amazon Video for free with it (like Doctor Who, Star Trek: The Next Generation, Star Trek: Deep Space 9 and The Newsroom are currently on my "Recently Played" list). What I'd love to see, though, is if they can integrate that Prime Air service they've been talking about for a couple years now with Whole Foods. I know it probably doesn't make much of a difference for people with cars but as someone who takes public transit, this could be a real time saver for me.

4 hours ago, fruitandveggies said:

Probably not a popular opinion, but I've never found Whole Foods to be that expensive. Sure, there are some pricey specialty items, but they have very cheap organic house-brand stuff and amazing produce sales. I can find organic and natural items there cheaper than I can at my local chain grocery store.

But hey, if Amazon want to make it cheaper then I guess why not. Hopefully quality doesn't suffer for it though!

Me too, but I've had a better time purchasing groceries from Whole Foods than I have with the Vitamin Cottage store, which is actually a ten-minute walk from my home.

4 hours ago, Elise24 said:

Forgive me, but I know nothing about all of this. I use Amazon all the time, but do not have Prime at the time.

Do I need to get Prime to order Whole Foods?

This idea sounds like heaven to me!!

I would imagine not. From what I understand from the press release, Amazon Prime would be used as a rewards programme for Whole Foods, as well as a means to deliver discounts on certain items.

3 hours ago, RickM said:

It is hard to engage in "price gouging" when people have the choice of half a dozen or more other merchants to shop at (when one is a sole supplier, it is a different story.) Overall, they do tend to offer higher quality products, meat and produce in particular, which does cost more to bring to market. Whether the higher cost is worth it relative to what one gets at Kroger, Albertson/Safeway, TJ;s, Sprouts, costco, Walmart, local farmers markets, etc. is an individual decision.

And yet, Whole Foods has made a business based on price gouging.

So, when I was pissing away time on Facebook today, I saw an article that Whole Foods will start marking down prices on Monday and will start integrating Amazon Prime into their system to offer special deals to people with that service. So, I did some research and I found the press release from Amazon and it looks pretty legit. As someone who has been eating organic for the last 2 years or so, I'm hoping this turns out to be true.
What do you think about this development?

I am a huge amazon prime lover and Whole Foods lover. Being in the city I have access to both. I saw an immediate drop in Whole Foods Prices the day of the merger. And Amazon prime started carrying Whole Foods brand 365 organic almost immediately. I am happy with the change

4 minutes ago, BDME said:

I am a huge Amazon prime lover and Whole Foods lover. Being in the city I have access to both. I saw an immediate drop in Whole Foods Prices the day of the merger. And Amazon prime started carrying Whole Foods brand 365 organic almost immediately. I am happy with the change

Yeah, having had my surgery the day after the merger (including spending the night before in Fort Collins, so I could get to the surgeon's office in time), I haven't been in to see the new Whole Foods and their pricing structure. I'm thinking about going the next time I go grocery shopping just to see how the prices are shaking out.