Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery in one week - so nervous!

Hi all,

After 5 months of tests and a 25 pound lost, I am having the gastric sleeve in a week. I haven't been nervous about the actual surgery and recovery time until now. I figured after having two C-sections, I can handle this, but, of course, now that's it's coming up, I am biting my nails in worry!

I am searching for words of encouragement before I have no nails left! 🙄😝 I would love to hear positive experiences!! Thanks for any and all sharing!!

Best,

ReadySmi

It's a natural reaction. Don't panic!!! I've been through scads of surgery, wasn't worried about the actual surgery, but a week before I started to realize how much of my life revolved around food, restaurants I love, places we go and end up eating, favorite comfort foods...I circled them, reminded myself that I needed to get healthier. Had surgery Aug 1 and am so happy I made the transition. I know that each day I'm working toward a healthier, stronger body. Food is fine, and I can enjoy something, but it's no longer the focus of my life. I look forward to that change over time more than anything. It no longer owns me. You've got this. You made this decision for a reason. Embrace those reasons this week. ((big hugs))

Thank you Crockodixie, I am feeling less panicked now and ready for the surgery! Trying not to focus too much on the recovery and taking one day at a time. I will be so happy when it's done even though I know it's the beginning of a new journey.

Thinking surgery must be happening/or have happened. Hope everything is going smoothly for you. Sending a big hug your way.

Hi Crocodoxie! Thank you for checking up on me! I had the gastric sleeve Wednesday (8-30-2017) so please forgive any typos as I am currently on Percocet and Zofran. The surgery itself seemed to have flown but the naseau afterwards was nuts! I threw up constantly Wednesday and half of Thursday. Today is a much better day although still nauseous, no throwing up. I have managed to "eat" 1 popsicle today and a 1/4 of a Protein Shake but have done decent on the Water intake. I can already tell that the head hunger will be an issue but I just have to ride it out I guess! 3 1/2 pounds down in 2 days since surgery and a total of 31 1/2 pounds so far. Fingers crossed this helps me as I have a lot more to lose. :)

Hang in there, sweets. The first week is tough, but I promise each week gets better! Glad to see you checking in.

One more week of sacrifice...just power through and know that when you finish that week, your surgery is going to come through! You're almost there!

I am really struggling with feelings of self doubt-what the heck am I doing? How am I every getting thru this. I am not doing the mostly for weight loss, I am having the surgery to deal with gerd, of course I need to lose weight but I am just really second guessing myself

Congrats to you!!! You will do great!

Janedb,

your feelings are totally normal! I went through all of those too. Change is hard, especially a big change like this. I just had to keep reminding myself why I am doing the surgery and asking if it was still worth it to me. The answer was always yes! You didn't get this far without some kind of meaningful reason to do it, try to focus on that instead of the surgery. It's hard, but you can do it! I am 10 days post op, still a baby, but I am very glad I did it.

im due to have my gastric bypass on sept 21 exactly 7 days away started the preop liquid diet and i feel miserable i truely dont know how im going to get thru these next couple of days i was told tho that the surgery itself is nothing compared to a csection i had two and i was told the pain from the csection was 10 times worse when is your date ??

Hi there,

I also had 2 C-sections and this surgery was way better than either of those. If you got through that, you will do great. I had my surgery August 30th so today is 16 days out and I don't regret doing it for a second. I made a list of all the reasons I wanted/needed to lose weight and I go back and read it every time I would freak out. Maybe that would help? You got this!

My real pain is definitely coming from the hernia repair, did not ever have a c section so can’t compare. My biggest problem is not being able to sleep. I just can not sleep. Thank you you all for your support. And jchillion2589, I know it feels like you will never make it, but the better you do on the pre op diet, the better your surgery will go, so just keep moving in that direction

Hi all,
After 5 months of tests and a 25 pound lost, I am having the gastric sleeve in a week. I haven't been nervous about the actual surgery and recovery time until now. I figured after having two C-sections, I can handle this, but, of course, now that's it's coming up, I am biting my nails in worry!
I am searching for words of encouragement before I have no nails left! [emoji849][emoji13] I would love to hear positive experiences!! Thanks for any and all sharing!!

Best,
ReadySmi

Keep using this site, message someone individually, ask tons of questions. It only gets bad when you think you’re alone. [emoji106]