Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else plateau 2-3 weeks post-op?

Embrace the stalls! The 3 week stall might be your 1st but it definitely won't be your last. It's part of the process in becoming your new self. So don't get discourage, embrace them.

Sent from my SM-J700T using BariatricPal mobile app

2 minutes ago, Jdserra said:

Embrace the stalls! The 3 week stall might be your 1st but it definitely won't be your last. It's part of the process in becoming your new self. So don't get discourage, embrace them.

I love your attitude! I'm going to try really hard to embrace the stalls but I have to be honest...I want to be losing more weight more qucikly. This isn't because I'm not doing well. I'm down over 30 pounds in about 3 and a half weeks. It's just that I'm impatient :)

What is your number of carbs per day, on average? If you substantially increase your carbs, I think you can have a period where your body retains some extra Water and it obscures underlying weight loss.

5 hours ago, etc. etc. etc. said:

What is your number of carbs per day, on average? If you substantially increase your carbs, I think you can have a period where your body retains some extra Water and it obscures underlying weight loss.

So, I'm not good at counting things like carbs or calories. Do you count them? Before my surgery I was an Atkins girl. If I stick to it I do really well and I feel so much better without the carbs. So now that I've had the surgery I'm eating the same types of things, but in much smaller amounts. I eat one egg scrambled in the morning...if I put turkey or ham in it with cheese I weigh out 2.5 ounces. For lunch I drink about 5 ounces of a Protein Shake and for dinner I have something like 2 ounces of salmon and 1-2 ounces of green Beans. My veggies have to be canned or cooked because I'm still on the soft foods stage of the diet. I would love a small salad or something but I'm not allowed to eat any raw/fresh fruits or veggies yet. So, I'm not really counting things like carbs or calories. Does this sound similar to anyone else's food plan???

I stalled at 3 weeks. Gad my surgery on 7-21, then list 2lbs. ..now stalled again but the inches,are coming off! I lost 17 after surgery. Stuck at a total loss if 29lbs. Very happy but want the scale to move!! I thought for a few days this is it...but not getting discouraged!! Drink my Water and meeting Protein. It will go down!!!!

HW 274 SW 263 GW 125 GASTRIC SLEEVE 7/21/17. Height 5'1" instagram: K_aane_VSG

I stalled at the end of week one for about 10 days. I weighed on a Friday and then then again on Sunday. I dropped 5 lbs between those days and am losing again. During the stall I noticed inches and bloating go away.

Work the plan. Keep the Faith.

I am 8 days post op and have just recently lost the Fluid weight I gained in the hospital. When will the weight loss pick Up? I am still on creamy strained Soup and Protein Shakes for another 5 days.

I stalled on day 15 for almost a week. I finally put the scale in the closet because I was getting frustrated and depressed.. After 4 days I noticed my clothes looser. Finally weighed and the scale was moving.. I'm not going to weigh daily anymore! Just once a week..I'll let my clothes show me. 18.5 lbs lost since surgery on the 10th. 30lbs since 2 week pre-op..
Hang in there everyone. We can do this! :-)

On 8/24/2017 at 3:13 AM, TammyA said:

It's funny thta you wrote this. My surgery was on August 1st, and I've lost 30 pounds. I know tha sounds like a lot, but it was all in the first 2 weeks. I haven't lost anything since. I'm following the diet, but not losing. I saw my doctor on Monday. He said it happens and not to be concerned. Just keep doing what I'm doing and maybe up the exercise to give my weight loss a boost. I want that scale to move! I feel like I took this major step in having this surgery and now I need results. I'm so afraid to fail at this like every other diet I've tried.

The same thing has happened to me. I had surgery on 11th August and lost 25lbs in the first 4 weeks and nothing at all since. It is so depressing! Everyone (including me) was expecting the weight to fall off steadily but no. I am eating on average 800 calories a day but the b***** scales haven't moved for two weeks! I know a lot of people report this stall but can anyone tell me what the real physical reason is for this? I really don't understand what is going on with my (still fat) body!

This article might help

Hitting a plateau or weight loss “stall” is common for just about everyone. While it’s certainly frustrating, it’s important to understand this is just temporary.

59bc17017e858_weightlossplateaustall_2.j

The good news is weight loss plateaus usually happen after you have lost a significant amount of weight—so congratulations!

During your post-op weight loss, the body will eventually need a ‘time out” to stabilize itself and adjust to your lower nutrition intake, smaller size and increased calorie burn due to exercise.

It can happen at any time in your weight loss journey, but is particularly common 3-6 months afterbariatric surgery.

Generally, stalls can last anywhere from a few days to a few weeks, even though you’re staying on track. Expect from one to three plateaus in the first year following weight loss surgery.

WHY DO WEIGHT LOSS STALLS HAPPEN?

You can blame your body’s metabolism—

When you lose weight rapidly, you are losing lean body mass (muscle) and fat. Muscle plays a big part in the burning of calories by keeping your metabolic rate high, so you want to hold onto muscle and strive to build more! (This is one of the reasons we ask you to take in so much protein).

A weight-loss plateau usually occurs when your metabolism slows down. Now that you’re thinner, the activities you’re performing may not be resulting in as much caloric burning.

An increased metabolic rate is not the only reason for keeping muscle. You want to keep muscle so you can use them to exercise and burn even more calories. Weak muscles make exercise more difficult, so build muscle with strength training and cardio workouts.

EIGHT TIPS TO OVERCOME BARIATRIC WEIGHT LOSS PLATEAUS AND BOOST METABOLISM

1. Increase the intensity of your exercise.

2. Weigh yourself less often.

3. Keep food journaling to ensure there are no negative nutrition issues creeping in.

4. Eat all that Protein to help retain muscle, even in shake form.

6. Drink 64 ounces every day.

7. sleep eight hours nightly and keep a set schedule, even on weekends.

8. Talk to your bariatric team during the plateau for an added level of support and guidance.

KEEP IN MIND…

If you are weight training, consider that muscle weighs more than fat; while you are building muscle, you are still losing inches (girth) even though if it isn’t reflected in pounds lost.

USE YOUR SUPPORT NETWORK

Remember there are several layers of people supporting you during your road back to good health:

• Your doctor
  • Bariatric dietitians and nutritionists
  • Family
  • Friends
  • Colleagues
  • Live and online support groups. (They understand more than anyone!)

If a plateau lasts more than a few weeks and you haven't contacted your bariatric surgeon yet, make an appointment for an ASAP visit to rule out any issues.

Meanwhile, stay positive and Celebrate how far you have come in a short time.

This is a very brief traffic jam on your highway to success.

12 hours ago, Cas54 said:

I really don't understand what is going on with my (still fat) body!

Give yourself time! I know it's hard. When I was on Clear Liquids for 2 weeks after surgery the pounds were just melting off, but it's slowed down considerably. I'm still losing faster than I would on a regular diet though. I started going to the gym (which I hate but I guess it's a necessary evil) and I started keeping a food journal. I found that each day I would weigh myself and if I didn't lose I'd be asking myself...What did I eat yesterday??? Now I quickly jot it down so I know and if I'm not losing aI can look back and see if there's someting...too many salty foods...or whatever. It helps me to not second guess myself.

Hang in there. You're doing great and the scale will start to move :)

I stalled at 3 weeks. Gad my surgery on 7-21, then list 2lbs. ..now stalled again but the inches,are coming off! I lost 17 after surgery. Stuck at a total loss if 29lbs. Very happy but want the scale to move!! I thought for a few days this is it...but not getting discouraged!! Drink my Water and meeting Protein. It will go down!!!!

HW 274 SW 263 GW 125 GASTRIC SLEEVE 7/21/17. Height 5'1" instagram: K_aane_VSG

Hi , I did too on the 3D week. I was still sore so I wasn't really moving around much but once I started walking outside the weight started to fall again. Give yourself a little time and just increase the walking to a few minutes each day and you'll see you'll start losing again. Blessings to you!

Elena Farah

I am so thankful to hear I'm not the only person stalled this soon after surgery. My surgery was August 9th and since that date I have lost 25 pounds. I lost that the first 2 to 3 weeks after surgery. I am now stuck at 300 pounds and the scale has not moved in 2 weeks. I keep fluctuating between 3 to 4 pounds up and down but I never go under 298 pounds. I am tracking my foods and I never go over 800 calories a day. I no longer have any dietary restrictions. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Anyone have any ideas?

I lost 20 pounds my first week, and didn't lose for the next 4 weeks. It's your body readjusting to everything.