Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So does anyone else have a doctor who doesn't require a major pre-op diet? I met with the nutritionist and her only instructions to me were to substitute a Protein Shake for Breakfast, reduce carbohydrates to 1 serving per meal, drink 64 oz Water per day and not drink when I eat. That's it. I only have a Clear Liquids restriction the day before surgery.

My doctor is highly respected and I have utmost confidence in him, so I'm not questioning it. I am, in fact, grateful for the easier process...but I was wondering if anyone else had similar experience?

I had to do a 1400 calorie diet but didn't really have restrictions. I didn't have to cut out carbs or do liquids. I have my surgery next Tuesday and the two days before I have to do liquids Sunday and Monday, but that's it. I like it, I am using the time to make sure I remember Portion Control and curve cravings as much as possible but don't beat myself up if I slip.

Hi, I don't have a date yet, but nutritionist has given me a pre-op diet to try. it is 1200 calories. designed to shrink the liver, so it is out of the way. it is low fat low carb. I believe I need to do it for 2 weeks prior to actual surgery.

Just now, KNJScorpio said:

I had to do a 1400 calorie diet but didn't really have restrictions. I didn't have to cut out carbs or do liquids. I have my surgery next Tuesday and the two days before I have to do liquids Sunday and Monday, but that's it. I like it, I am using the time to make sure I remember Portion Control and curve cravings as much as possible but don't beat myself up if I slip.

I agree...i'm enjoying that there is not so much restriction now...yet, I'm working on building some necessary habits for after the surgery.

1 minute ago, Misskar said:

Hi, I don't have a date yet, but nutritionist has given me a pre-op diet to try. it is 1200 calories. designed to shrink the liver, so it is out of the way. it is low fat low carb. I believe I need to do it for 2 weeks prior to actual surgery.

I don't have any caloric restrictions...although by doing the things I mentioned, I am in fact eating fewer calories. I've lost 15 lbs almost effortlessly.

19 minutes ago, Geri Marie said:

The one thing I'm changing now is drinking while eating. I need to break that habit once and for all!

Sent from my SM-G935P using BariatricPal mobile app

This is the hardest thing for me!! I ALWAYS have something to drink when I eat, so I struggle with eating an entire meal with nothing to drink. I'm thinking that will become easier after surgery since the meals will be so small.

16 minutes ago, Geri Marie said:

They say it only takes 2 weeks to break a habit!!

Sent from my SM-G935P using BariatricPal mobile app

Well, I've been at it for about 3 weeks now...still not easy. The other thing I did, that they did not require me to do, was weaned off coffee. Last week, I had two days with pre-op testing that I needed to be fasting...since I couldn't have coffee two days in a row in the morning, I thought now is as good a time as any to give it up! 5 days coffee free!

I didn't have a preop diet due to my Bmi. If I did, it would have been lean protein/leafy green veggie based. Not all Dr's are super strict.

Sent from my XT1254 using BariatricPal mobile app

From what I have seen over the years, the better docs, most particularly the long standing DS docs, don't need to do these extensive pre-op diets that many complain about. I didn't need to do one nor did my wife when she had her DS twelve years ago. Dr. Roslin would be high on my list of docs to consider if I were on the east coast, and I would generally avoid those docs who impose these multi-week liquid pre-op diets. They just aren't necessary if the doc knows what he is doing.

Every program seems to be a bit different. My pre-op diet is Protein Shakes for breakfast and lunch, then a lean dinner--protein, veggies, salad. I'm not finding that particularly difficult; I'm a week and a half into it. I do have to do an all-clear-liquid day the day before.

I think each person just needs to follow the instructions given and not question them too much. Although I'll admit I'm having trouble with the idea of giving up coffee for a year!!

I found it refreshing to do the 2 week pre-Op. It required me to be aware of what I was putting in my body and also realize I could live without craving Carbs (Sweets). I like most have tried every diet under the moon and havent felt hungry or that screaming "I need to Eat!" Oh and I also lost 14 in that 2 weeks. Joe