Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help with swelling after plastics!!

Hello,

I had a lower body lift with fleur de lis Tummy Tuck and Lipo on August 15. They took off 15lbs of tissue. It's been up and down since. I had the staples removed yesterday and as of today I'm only taking Tylenol and Advil.

My doctors office is sending me a third compression garment as the first one is so tight I'm in pretty much constant pain from it pressing on the swelling. And, although, second felt good, I guess didn't have enough compression.

I cried this morning because I just didn't realize how long I'd feel like **** and having to be relying on other people. I have a 2.5 year old son and I just feel useless right now. Over the last 2-3 days I don't feel like anything has improved. The swelling is very painful. I did not have drains as they did some special quill stitch.

Question:

1. How long till you started feeling better?

2. Did you have trouble getting the compression garments just right?

3. How did you tackle the swelling? They told me I can take Advil now, but with RYN I didn't think we could.

Please help with any words of wisdom!

Thanks,

Erinn

Not sure how the method of closing has an effect on whether or not drains are needed.

Even with drains (1 out after a week, other out around 3 weeks) I had swelling for about 6 months to a year, first three being the worst.

To give you an idea of the amount of swelling, I was a size 00-0 before TT/Panni. After surgery, needed 4's for quite a while, then slowly moved down in sizes. Had somewhere around 10-20 lbs of swelling!! Don't remember the exact amount anymore.

Make sure that your surgeon is aware of the swelling/pain you have.

The compression that my surgeon gave was an elastic belly band with velcro, so it could be adjusted to what I felt I needed. Similar to this: https://www.abdomend.com/products/Abdominal-Surgery-Recovery-Products/hem-it-in-belly-band-support.html

Since you don't have drains, you can try a firm control waist nipper or bodysuit. It may be a tad too soon for those, depending on how they feel for you. They can be found at Walmart and Amazon.

The longer you wear compression, the better the final result. I wore waist nippers & bodysuits for a year. I looked at it this way, this is my only shot and i want the best possible result, so wearing them was a small price to pay.

Again, make sure your doctor is aware of your pain level, he/she may want to check the swelling. You don't want to have Fluid building up inside causing infection & further swelling or possibly ripping sutures.

Thank you for your reply!
I have an appointment to see him tomorrow. I have a similar Velcro binder with 3 'arms' to wrap for comfort. They also provided a body suit with zippers on both sides but it's too big and will be getting me the next size down tomorrow.
I don't mind the swelling and can deal with it, but I'm just concerned about the pain in this one particular spot. The incisions are great and are causing no pain at all!
Did you take anti inflammatory meds?

I am not able to take anti-inflammatories due to very severe ulcerative colitis which they now think is crohn's instead.

I'm glad that your doctor is seeing you tomorrow. At the very least it will be peace of mind that all is OK.

I saw the doctor yesterday, they sent me for an ultrasound to be sure there is no Fluid building up or something else wrong. Tech said everything looked ok. Pain was fairly moderate yesterday except when I was out of my compression garment for shower and appointment it started coming back.

This morning I can feel it again :( Just tightened up my compression garment, hopefully that helps.

If it wasn't for this annoying pain I'd be doing really good! I guess it could be worse.

I had a LBL w/fleur de lis in February. I was in full body compression from day 1 and wore it 24/7 for 6 weeks. I still had swelling, but it was much better by about 4 weeks. This is the one that was recommended by my surgeon https://marenagroup.com/fbm-capri-length-girdle-with-suspenders/

8 hours ago, thisisthenewme said:

I saw the doctor yesterday, they sent me for an ultrasound to be sure there is no Fluid building up or something else wrong. Tech said everything looked ok. Pain was fairly moderate yesterday except when I was out of my compression garment for shower and appointment it started coming back.

This morning I can feel it again :( Just tightened up my compression garment, hopefully that helps.

If it wasn't for this annoying pain I'd be doing really good! I guess it could be worse.

I'm glad that there are no complications. I guess just patience and time. Before you know it, you'll feel good as new!

I had a LBL w/fleur de lis in February. I was in full body compression from day 1 and wore it 24/7 for 6 weeks. I still had swelling, but it was much better by about 4 weeks. This is the one that was recommended by my surgeon https://marenagroup.com/fbm-capri-length-girdle-with-suspenders/

Hi! This is basically the same one my surgeons office gave me, except it is knee length (not cafe). Only issue is it's likely a size too big. So I wear it and a binder with Velcro 'arm's that I can wrap around and adjust. They have ordered me the size smaller and it should be here tomorrow (back order). I wear them 24/7 basically, besides showers and changing clothes. When I confirmed how tight the compression should be with the surgeon, he said 'tight!! But not causing blisters'. Was yours that tight? The garment I have like the one you had, I can easily get it one by myself - no issues. They always ask if I need help, like it should be so tight I can't get into it myself, lol.

Did you ever get pretty intense pain from swelling? Like in one specific spot?

Thank you,
Erinn

I wore mine from Nedico for 8 weeks - sized down and neither were hard! Swelling was hard. Best healing

I'm glad that there are no complications. I guess just patience and time. Before you know it, you'll feel good as new!

I hope so! I feel like it took it pretty easy today. Spent the whole day in the lazy boy watching Zoo. Yet tonight the sore spot is soooo sore [emoji24][emoji24] I got some natural anti-inflammatory stuff from my natural path doctor to help! Cause it's getting really annoying [emoji30]

Hi! This is basically the same one my surgeons office gave me, except it is knee length (not cafe). Only issue is it's likely a size too big. So I wear it and a binder with Velcro 'arm's that I can wrap around and adjust. They have ordered me the size smaller and it should be here tomorrow (back order). I wear them 24/7 basically, besides showers and changing clothes. When I confirmed how tight the compression should be with the surgeon, he said 'tight!! But not causing blisters'. Was yours that tight? The garment I have like the one you had, I can easily get it one by myself - no issues. They always ask if I need help, like it should be so tight I can't get into it myself, lol.

Did you ever get pretty intense pain from swelling? Like in one specific spot?

Thank you,
Erinn

Mine was pretty tight, but I was determined to be self sufficient as soon as possible & was able to get it on & off without help within a few days. Granted, it took a while to do it, but it got easier with practice!

I wouldn't say I had intense pain from swelling, but it was noticeable and uncomfortable. It does get better!!

Mine was pretty tight, but I was determined to be self sufficient as soon as possible & was able to get it on & off without help within a few days. Granted, it took a while to do it, but it got easier with practice!

I wouldn't say I had intense pain from swelling, but it was noticeable and uncomfortable. It does get better!!

Thanks for the info! Mine is definitely not that tight and therefore I use an extra binder around waist to get it tight. The one they ordered that is a size smaller is still in the mail :( So I wait.

I guess the pain isn't intense anymore. It's more like a stabbing/burning pain in the same spot. It comes and goes. Always in the morning and when I get up to try and do things. I chalk it up to my body telling me when to rest. But when it's bothering me, it can be about an 7-8 on pain scale. It's just so frustrating and really wearing me done [emoji26]

Try linfatic with ultrasound massage! It makes wonders! I’m one week out from the same procedures you had (plus breast augmentation) and even if I’m still a little swallow, it improving. Doesn’t hurt at all. I have massages every second day since surgery. Good luck!