Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else having trouble trying to intake their liquids

I just posted a similar post. Had surgery one week ago today and find it challenging to get more than about 30-40oz of Water in a day. Not sure what my problem is..... other than that I'm feeling good.

I assume that you have recently had surgery because you posted this in a post-op forum.

Right after surgery, many people find it difficult to meet their Fluid requirements. This is because your body is in a major heal mode. Just keep trying to meet these requirements and in the next few days you should be able to reach it.

It is common for your taste buds to change after surgery. Be willing to experiment. After surgery, my taste buds changed dramatically. Even Water changed. In the hospital it tasted excessively chlorinated and I could not drink it. So I experimented. sugar free popsicles became my best friend. Some individuals find hot or cold can help with fluids. For me, I found that I could tolerate flavored water. So I began using Crystal Light. I also found a new drink Bai which I liked cold. In the winter, I found that I tolerate Hot Drinks such as piping hot cocoa. But you have to use the "No Sugar Added" variety. Also fine English teas were very good.

The fluid requirement is met by a combination. It is not only the water that you drink each day. But also the water you drink when you take your Vitamins and medicine. It is the milk you drink. It is the fluids content of the Protein Shakes. It is the water component of the Soups you take. It is met by flavored water such as Crystal Light. It is met by sugar free popsicles. It is met by tea and Decaf coffee. It is a combination of all the fluids that you consume during the day.

1 hour ago, James Marusek said:

I assume that you have recently had surgery because you posted this in a post-op forum.

Right after surgery, many people find it difficult to meet their Fluid requirements. This is because your body is in a major heal mode. Just keep trying to meet these requirements and in the next few days you should be able to reach it.

It is common for your taste buds to change after surgery. Be willing to experiment. After surgery, my taste buds changed dramatically. Even Water changed. In the hospital it tasted excessively chlorinated and I could not drink it. So I experimented. sugar free popsicles became my best friend. Some individuals find hot or cold can help with fluids. For me, I found that I could tolerate flavored water. So I began using Crystal Light. I also found a new drink Bai which I liked cold. In the winter, I found that I tolerate Hot Drinks such as piping hot cocoa. But you have to use the "No Sugar Added" variety. Also fine English teas were very good.

The Fluid requirement is met by a combination. It is not only the Water that you drink each day. But also the water you drink when you take your Vitamins and medicine. It is the milk you drink. It is the fluids content of the Protein Shakes. It is the water component of the Soups you take. It is met by flavored water such as Crystal Light. It is met by sugar free popsicles. It is met by tea and Decaf coffee. It is a combination of all the fluids that you consume during the day.

Thank you James for the valuable information.

Can anyone tell me why there isn't a "REPLY" tab for each comment in this whole forum? Submitting a reply is very odd. Is anyone updating this website to make it more user friendly? I hope so.

Also, using this light back ground & light colored text is not fun either, especially for people like me who have a hard seeing. Anyone?

Edited by Deeme

I finally figured out that room temperature non-caffeine herbal tea worked for me in the first few days. A lot of people have suggested chamomile tea and peppermint tea.

It does get better. I'm 12 days out and no longer have issues with plain Water.

I realized I wasn't drinking enough because I was laying down most of the time. Sit up, and hold the bottle in your hand, every few seconds, take a sip. I lived on Water, Vitamin water zero, diet snapple and broth the first week. Day 2 I started introducing Protein Shakes. I had one Protein Shake a day. Focus on liquids only right now. You don't want to get dehydrated. My surgeon told me the entire first month, don't worry about your Protein intake, focus on getting those liquids in. I was on a liquid diet for 3 weeks post op.

Thanks all for the good info! Definitely going to try the crystal light and teas! Even though I don't like brought I know I'm going to have to drink it lol but i know it's going to get easier and easier each day! [emoji2]

I found walking and drinking at the same time worked really well. So walk for 5 mins while holding your bottle. It goes down a lot easier and you don't get side tracked and forgot to drink!

Sent from my LG-H850 using BariatricPal mobile app

I was sleeved on the 23rd and have been having an extremely difficult time. Meds, liquids, anything just goes down like a ton of bricks. Water tastes gross and so do my Protein Shakes that I loved before. The past two days I've slept till about 7 pm and my urine was a great color until a couple hours ago.

Since then, I have 1 25 oz s'well 1/4 juice 3/4 water, half a Protein Shake, and a big glass of milk. The milk really helps stuff go down. 64 oz is absurd when I also need to be resting and relaxing

I was sleeved on the 23rd. I was fantastic with liquids first day post op (even though it felt like a ton of bricks) but I had the incentive of going home. The next couple of days I was so good with liquids I was a little concerned I was diluting my blood too much. Since then I've fallen off the rails. Water tastes disgusting, can't have too much diluted juice because calories, but luckily I still enjoy Premier Protein shakes and I've been getting green iced teas from Starbucks.

I'm also not losing much weight. I think I'm only down 10 lbs. It's all so disheartening.