Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Intermittent Fasting

Just curious as to see who may be doing intermittent fasting 16:8 with or without Keto or hflc?... and has had a vsg. I'm 9 months post op 3/12/16
I started IF last week but have eaten hflc for a while now...

Hi I only just started IF today, doing 16.8 I am two and a half years out from having a gastric sleeve. Put on about 7 kilos since Christmas as I got a bit slack. I've lost 5 kilos so far but struggling to lose the last few. I'd be interested to hear other peoples views and experience as well

How are u feeling?..
I lost 2 kgs in the first days but we all know that's fluids lol.
Has most of your hunger come back after 2.5yrs?... very curious as to what to expect for myself. How's your restriction?..
I buggered up my eating today as someone at work has a bday and I ended up eating a bloody cupcake and some slices of cheese cake.. not happy and feeling sick from doing it.
But back on the horse lol

I can definitely eat more than I could in the first year but I still do have a fair bit of restriction but depending also on what i eat for example denser foods fill me quickly but foods like potato chips I can eat quite a lot sadly lol. I notice that when i eat alot of sugar like white foods biscuits etc I get really hungry. I have cut those out completely again now and I'm back to not feeling so hungry - I got a bit slack with my diet in the first part of this year and let things slide but I've found the good thing with this operation is that its heaps easier to get back on track and take back control than before the op. How are you going? How are you feeling? I am finding for the first time in my entire life after swearing to a friend that no matter what I would never enjoy exercise I actually really enjoy it. I swim for an hour twice a week I walk for an hour the other days and on weekends I do a 10k walk I even park in the furthest car park I can find when I go to the shops now that I NEVER thought would happen.

I'm the same with the denser Protein foods. I can only have so much which is great. Tonight I had a little rissole and a stalk of broccoli with a cheese sauce and I'm done .... but I could eat more I think if I really wanted to lol
Chips and biscuits are he same for me too. I can't have them around me as I know they are a slippery slop for disaster and I can eat heaps .
If I over eat on sugary stuff or icecream I get nauseous quick. But I don't seem to learn as the next time I do it again.
Foos addiction and little self control make it a little harder.
I go really well for days and then slide a bit and so on..
If I've planned my lunch for the day I seem to go well but when I get home I sometimes slip into old habits.
My exercising isn't too bad . At the gym 3-4 days a week and do weights with some cardio. I also walk the dog but this can be spasmodic. Some Days I can't be bothered and find an excuse not to exercise lol.. I don't have a set finish time at work so it makes it hard having to do the cooking etc. as I said excuses !!.. [emoji52]
After my op I feel Iike I've changed mentally as I have apathetic feelings and anger can be an issue. It's bizarre tbh cause it happened so quick after the op. The surgeon and my dr have no clue as to why but "depression" has come up. The ability of being able to laugh and feel the good feelings has gone unfortunately. I find things funny but have a forced laugh ( weird I know lol)
Over all I feel ok. I'm still on hypothyroid meds and bp meds but lowered dose...
I do like the size I am but hate my tummy area lol.. 3 c sections and being overweight will do that to u lol.
You sound like your going great guns [emoji1320] ... and all the power to you.
U have made some great achievements... well done

It's a life time change and I do want to get it under control while I'm still in the honey moon period lol ..

We have alot of similarities i still struggle with sometimes eating what i shouldnt not even really enjoyinv it after maybe the first couple mouthfuls the voice in my head saying why r u doing this and then the envitable regret after of why do i never learn food addiction and emtional eating is going to be a lifelong challenge that i sometimes have control of and sometimes dont I also struggled with depression a few months after and weirdly enough anger as well angry at the most ridiculous things which i put down to maybe menopause but its interesting to hear u say the same and oh yes the tummy i have also had three cesarean and the stretched skin from being overweight its not a pretty sight lol i do alot of self talk sometimes i need to tell myself to put my big girl pants on and stop whining i got myself this way and i can either change it or give up its up to me of course sometimes i just throw a big old tantrum like a two year old cause that makes everything better haha

Oh wow ..... we are sounded very similar hahahahah.. self talk is a huge on. I can be so positive yet so negative in seconds. I tell myself I am the only one that can change the way I am then I can be making excuses lol..
it's so time consuming all this isn't it ? [emoji23]

Just curious as to see who may be doing intermittent fasting 16:8 with or without Keto or hflc?... and has had a vsg. I'm 9 months post op 3/12/16
I started IF last week but have eaten hflc for a while now...

Hey! I IF EVERYDAY. NO Breakfast, I do bulletproof coffee instead and then HFLC the rest of the day.

Maybe we are thinking of different types of fasting. I'm talking about the Dave Asprey's Bulletproof method( he considers it fasting as there is no food, just oils and coffee" too may make the mistake of doing low carb and low fat. The high fat coffee is a great way to kick start your high fat day. I've broken every weight loss plateau I've had doing it.

Ahhh ok
I'm doing 16:8. 7pm to 1pm the next day ... So my first "meal" or calories which is always a Keto style or hflc isn't until 1pm.
I do have a cuppa tea in the morning but no milk as it would break the fast..
all good sounds interesting though.. I'll have to look it up

11 hours ago, erica_ozzy73 said:

If u have bullet proof coffee instead you are breaking your fast... sort of defeats the purpose lol

Bulletproof coffee is just coffee and fat. It extends your fast. You don't break your fast until you have carbs or Protein.

https://blog.bulletproof.com/bulletproof-fasting/

The whole point of bulletproof coffee is to extend your fast and give you energy.

I don't drink bulletproof coffee. Post-op I have so much energy I don't need an energy boost in the morning. I think the calories in the coffee are a waste. I can drink black coffee and Water and be perfectly fine until lunch.

I used Bulletproof fasting to drop some weight a few years ago. It works but it isn't really necessary for a WLS patient.

I have been 16:8 fasting for about 3 years. I work from home and I work late some of the time. 16:8 fasting stops me from eating/snacking at night and staying up too late. If I am hungry at Midnight I just go to bed, instead of cooking something and staying up until 2 or 3 am. Overall it has greatly improved my life.

IF for me is just a calorie/behavior control method.

You are both right.

People coin the word fasting to have many different variations.

The two main ones:

Fasting means no food or liquid other than Water. then some allow black coffee/tea no sugar.

Fasting associated with low carb etc, is were you are allowed fat because it does not cause an insulin spike. Alot of people do 'bullet proof coffee fasts 'and have great success.

But many prefer to abstain from any calories during their fasting window, and it works for them. Alot of people find this type of fasting to have alot of 'healing properties' & have great success.

Many choose to allow fats in their fasting window and it also works for them.

But it just depends on the individual, their needs, health, goals etc. which form of fasting suits them best.

i used to do IF with BPC , but I can not imagine it now, half my calories for the day going on a drink :P I think it would taste abit to heavy for me right now too.