Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When does the light shine

So these past two weeks have been a little rough for me. Wednesday the 23 will be two weeks post op and I'm just praying going on to week 3&4 it will get better with food. I been drinking Protein Shakes and I'm starting to think those are messing with my stomach and I need an alternative. Protein Powder is disgusting. I'm just so tried right now and I feel like crying and I need to see where the light is. I don't even care about the weight loss. I see my doctor on the 23rd but I'm over this right now. When does it start getting better?

Tiffani

It gets better, but slowly. I am at week 10 and I still have struggles, but they are less and less. In the meantime, as the payoff for my struggles, I have lost 78 pounds. I can stand up without exhaustion and walk every day on my treadmill and people don't look at me like I'm an alien anymore. So it's worth it.

Those people who say this is the "easy way out", just don't know. Keep on keeping on!

It gets better with more real food. Try drinking broth and milk for a day to give yourself a break from the shakes. May or may not help, but it's worth a shot.

It gets better, but slowly. I am at week 10 and I still have struggles, but they are less and less. In the meantime, as the payoff for my struggles, I have lost 78 pounds. I can stand up without exhaustion and walk every day on my treadmill and people don't look at me like I'm an alien anymore. So it's worth it.

Those people who say this is the "easy way out", just don't know. Keep on keeping on!

I am soooo tired like I been so strong except these past two days I just keep crying. Even my bowels are like so weird and some of them even hurt and I just need some motivation right now

Tiffani[emoji1528][emoji757]️[emoji175]

It gets better with more real food. Try drinking broth and milk for a day to give yourself a break from the shakes. May or may not help, but it's worth a shot.

I really hope so because no one understand like yes I have family members who had the lapband years ago but they just don't understand. I keep hoping crying is gonna solve my problems

Get yourself some unflavored Protein and add it to your broths and Soups. That way you don't have to have just shakes. I'm pre-op but I've been planning and researching WLS for a while now and it seems like that's the best solution

Thank you

Hang in there. It does get better. I am almost 8 weeks and I noticed that I started to feel so much better once I started to eat some food. Yogurt, Beans, cottage cheese (since I am vegetarian) really helped a lot. I think that it is super important to find a Protein Drink or powder that you can tolerate. I've tried so many of them. Even the unflavored Unjury didn't agree with me. I did have good luck with using high Protein milk and Unjury chocolate Spendor and Syntrax Nectar Latte Cappuccino. Also using sugar free syrups to alter the shake flavors helped me. Now that I have a system down that I can tolerate, I have been feeling much better. I feel better than I did before surgery.

It'll happen, I promise. I remember how long the first few weeks post-surgery seemed. I was so excited when they let me off straight liquids on to mushy food, only to discover that the scrambled eggs with cheese, refried Beans with cheese, and ricotta bake just wouldn't go down. I thought I was going to scream! You'll get there, though. When I was on strict liquids, I made broth from roasted bones (either chicken or beef) and it was SO MUCH more satisfying than the stuff from the can. You just have to take it slowly and trust that it'll happen... because it will.

If you need something different for shakes, go to si03.com. That's Syntrex's home page. If you hover your mouse on the upper right quadrant of the page, it'll give you the information for ordering a sampler pack of their Nectars. It costs $16.99, shipping included, for 15 one-serving packets in 15 different flavors. Some I mixed with Water (grapefruit, lemonade, cherry, grape, etc) and some with unsweetened almond milk. Yes, it's still shakes, but it's fun to try the different flavors without having to invest big bucks.

Can you have cream Soups? I was allowed Healthy Recipe cream soups when on liquids, provided I strained out the chunks of food. I really enjoyed the cream of chicken and the mushroom. It was just so good to have something warm and savory in my tummy!!

Once they let you off strictly liquids, it's easier. You can take some of that roasted chicken stock, simmer carrots, onions, and celery in it until they are mooshey-soft and then whizz it in the blender for a really hearty, tasty pureed Soup. I also discovered I could put some of that broth on smashed up chicken and it went down pretty well. Eating is going to be challenging for awhile- I won't kid you- but you'll get there. By 3 months post-surgery, I was able to go to restaurants and find good food that I could actually eat (and take home leftovers for lunch for a couple of days!). Hang in there... it really does get better!

It'll happen, I promise. I remember how long the first few weeks post-surgery seemed. I was so excited when they let me off straight liquids on to mushy food, only to discover that the scrambled eggs with cheese, refried Beans with cheese, and ricotta bake just wouldn't go down. I thought I was going to scream! You'll get there, though. When I was on strict liquids, I made broth from roasted bones (either chicken or beef) and it was SO MUCH more satisfying than the stuff from the can. You just have to take it slowly and trust that it'll happen... because it will.
If you need something different for shakes, go to si03.com. That's Syntrex's home page. If you hover your mouse on the upper right quadrant of the page, it'll give you the information for ordering a sampler pack of their Nectars. It costs $16.99, shipping included, for 15 one-serving packets in 15 different flavors. Some I mixed with Water (grapefruit, lemonade, cherry, grape, etc) and some with unsweetened almond milk. Yes, it's still shakes, but it's fun to try the different flavors without having to invest big bucks.
Can you have cream Soups? I was allowed Healthy Recipe cream soups when on liquids, provided I strained out the chunks of food. I really enjoyed the cream of chicken and the mushroom. It was just so good to have something warm and savory in my tummy!!
Once they let you off strictly liquids, it's easier. You can take some of that roasted chicken stock, simmer carrots, onions, and celery in it until they are mooshey-soft and then whizz it in the blender for a really hearty, tasty pureed Soup. I also discovered I could put some of that broth on smashed up chicken and it went down pretty well. Eating is going to be challenging for awhile- I won't kid you- but you'll get there. By 3 months post-surgery, I was able to go to restaurants and find good food that I could actually eat (and take home leftovers for lunch for a couple of days!). Hang in there... it really does get better!

I'm hanging on a thread here

I know... we've all been there. MAKE yourself put your head in the right place. You can do this- we all have- but you need to convince yourself you can. Three days until you see the doctor- you can do that! Look what you've done already! I know you are sick of the shakes; are you drinking as much as you are supposed to drink, or are you unable to get it all down? Maybe add some more powder to the same amount of milk, if you are using powdered shakes. I personally cannot stand the ready-to-drink ones- they taste nasty- so if you are doing RTD, maybe go find some chocolate powder? SlimFast makes a Smoothie-High Protein powder that has a decent serving of protein in it (much higher protein, lower carb than their regular high protein powder). Get the chocolate- it's thick and delicious, and make it with skim or unsweetened almond milk. It really is good.

Remember- YOU CAN DO THIS.

I know... we've all been there. MAKE yourself put your head in the right place. You can do this- we all have- but you need to convince yourself you can. Three days until you see the doctor- you can do that! Look what you've done already! I know you are sick of the shakes; are you drinking as much as you are supposed to drink, or are you unable to get it all down? Maybe add some more powder to the same amount of milk, if you are using powdered shakes. I personally cannot stand the ready-to-drink ones- they taste nasty- so if you are doing RTD, maybe go find some chocolate powder? SlimFast makes a Smoothie-High Protein powder that has a decent serving of protein in it (much higher protein, lower carb than their regular high protein powder). Get the chocolate- it's thick and delicious, and make it with skim or unsweetened almond milk. It really is good.
Remember- YOU CAN DO THIS.

Only drink premiere and don't get 60 grams and tmi they made my poop hurt now I have a stool struggling to come out I'm soooo over this I just cry and cry

Hey there. I know we on about the same schedule. I feel your pain and frustration. I was so excited to be able to start eating mushy foods...... cant do it. The only thing I can do is the shakes. I cup hood simply smart milk, one light start carnation instant Breakfast, pure Protein powder, and 3 ice cubes in my smoothie maker. Btween pre and post op, I havent eaten food or a meal in a month. I tried scrambled egg whites again today and couldnt keep it down. I was planning on going back to work part time this week and i dont know.... i am sooo tired all the time. All I want to do is eat even a Peanut Butter sandwhich..... I couldnt even if I want to.

Hey there. I know we on about the same schedule. I feel your pain and frustration. I was so excited to be able to start eating mushy foods...... cant do it. The only thing I can do is the shakes. I cup hood simply smart milk, one light start carnation instant breakfast, pure Protein powder, and 3 ice cubes in my smoothie maker. Btween pre and post op, I havent eaten food or a meal in a month. I tried scrambled egg whites again today and couldnt keep it down. I was planning on going back to work part time this week and i dont know.... i am sooo tired all the time. All I want to do is eat even a Peanut Butter sandwhich..... I couldnt even if I want to.

I pray I'm able to keep something down....

Constipation is as much a side-effect of the surgery/anesthesia as it is the high Protein diet. Increase your Fluid intake (water, clear juice, gatorade, SoBe, Fruit2O, etc. etc. etc). Protein is important but fluid, not being dehydrated, and not being constipated (as much as possible) is more important right now. Find a shake you can tolerate and go with it. IMO Premier is NOT the best option, and if you are drinking the ready-to-drink style, that's even worse. 3 days until you see your doc- THREE DAYS. Hang in there- you can do this. With any luck, your doc will give you the green light for mushy food. Only those of us who have been on liquids only for FOUR WEEKS can appreciate the glory of mushed up canned green Beans with a little butter and salt!

YOU CAN DO THIS. Nobody said it was easy, and if people tell you that bariatric surgery is the easy way out to lose weight, just laugh in their faces!

Wow I had my surgery same day and I have been eating scrambled eggs , cottage cheese, Beans, soft fruit, tuna, salmon with no problems ! I start mechanical foods Tuesday. I can almost drink normal too. Weird how everyones bodies are so different. Flip side is I have only lost 4 lbs since surgery. I get around 600 a day thinking I may be able to get them up to 800 this week .