Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No Seminar - Vitamins - Ocean/Swim - 9 days post: HELP

I was advised to not take flinstone or children's Vitamins, as they do not have enough of what a sleeved patient needs. Below is a link (for amazon) for the vitamins I am currently taking. They are chewable and not bad at all. I actually really like them. Been taking them for about two weeks now.

https://www.amazon.com/Bariatric-Multi-Vitamin-Patients-ProCare-Health/dp/B007HB8EDK/ref=sr_1_7_a_it/132-3179088-1774116?ie=UTF8&qid=1503680088&sr=8-7&keywords=bariatric+vitamins

14 minutes ago, Angie's_Ocean said:

Has anyone tried the vitamin patches? Wouldn't they be easier as a routine?

I have heard amazing things about the Patches. I think I am going to try them too.

13 minutes ago, Angie's_Ocean said:

Sure, they would be easy. But the problem is our skin is designed to keep "stuff" out. Sure, small amounts of medications can make it through the skin when infused in a carrier lotion, but Vitamins are different.

Think about how large a Vitamin pill is, and compare that to a patch. Even if you could absorb vitamins through the skin, think about how big a patch would have to be! Lol.

They probably have done studies on this stuff, but ultimately, it's just better to take chewables, powdered, etc. etc.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/20140912141933-209684125-the-science-behind-transdermal-nutrient-delivery-system

A lot of research has gone into transdermal drug delivery, and it seems safe and effective. I am not sure that all our Vitamin needs have been studied, though. My biggest issue is the cost of patch vs. chewables. My nutritionist is fine with either- just no Gummy vitamins!

Is the powdered stuff cheaper than than the regular capsules?

The powdered ones are usually more expensive.

For the first 5 months I used powdered ones from GNC. They come in chocolate or vanilla, presweetened, and contain some Protein and Fiber. I got them discounted, and took half-servings, so it was about $15 a month (full price is $40 for a month's supply).

Once they ran out, I've replaced them with regular pills.. but I'm finding I have to take more pills than expected! Came sooo close to vomiting them yesterday. Have to spread them out more.....

22 hours ago, Angie's_Ocean said:

Yes, I know the body NEEDS Vitamins. I took a lot of good supplements before surgery and I wanted to keep up a minimum of vitamins and minerals after, as well. Vitamin D to keep my immune system strong and magnesium were the two I knew I needed to keep up. So I did use those two bariatric Patches right when I got home (1 week after surgery). I never finished the packages because I found I could go back to my capsules or soft gels a couple weeks later. But they were good to have for those first weeks! Magnesium keeps you calm and helps you sleep.

even now, swallowing pills is a big deal, it feels creepy going down, and I can't pop two pills at once. But slowly I can take 5 capsules at night now, over a 20 minute period. Even big sips of Water make my stomach feel bloated but it's working.

By the way, several locations have the seminar online. University of Utah I believe was the last one I watched

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!! This helps a lot! I'll def be double the whole getting in the ocean thing. I thought 9 days would be too soon but wanted to see if anyone else had experience. And thank you all for the Vitamin low down. [emoji4] Really have appreciated this site thus far.

My surgeon told me 72 hrs and my incisions would be closed. My surgeon uses glue, and so my incisions today one week out are closed and healing over. I went swimming Sunday 6 days out from surgery and then made sure when I got out i cleaned my incisions really well. Didn't have a problem and swimming felt really good.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

Thank you all so much for all your replies. I'm 6 days sleeved today and my incisions are pretty healed but they do sitll have glue on them. Thank you guys so much for all the replies.