Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Serious about MEXICO but many questions and concerns

Hi how are you doing this fine Saturday? I was wondering which part of Idaho are you from? I have family in Weiser, Idaho. Just a case of the nosey. Look forward to your post.

I have family in Weiser too! We were there for the eclipse! I grew up in Weiser and moved to the Magic Valley turtle before middle school. Been here ever since! Are you in Idaho?

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

I have family in Weiser too! We were there for the eclipse! I grew up in Weiser and moved to the Magic Valley turtle before middle school. Been here ever since! Are you in Idaho?

*Magic Valley area

Just now, Sara Bronson said:

I am not...but we lived there for 4 and 1/2 years taking care of my Mother in Law. We moved back home (Roseburg, Oregon) in 2017. Oregon has been our home for many years!! We really loved Idaho but my grandkids were here. They are so special to us!!!! Much rather be here enjoying them than why we were in Weiser. Small world!!! Forus to both have family in Weiser. LOL

On 8/21/2017 at 3:49 PM, DropWt4Life said:

Dr. Illan only does 4 surgeries per day. Some surgeons that I researched did up to 10 per day. I was worried about my surgeon being tired after so many surgeries, so I wanted one that performed as few daily as possible.

The other thing that is more worrisome is that its not likely the surgeon that is doing 10 procedures has 10 separate sterilized equipment sets. More likely they recycle a couple of different sets and sanitize for 20-30 minutes in antiseptic solution between patients(kinda like the barber-sol that hair dressers keep their combs in) . Which is "ok" but not quite the same as sterilizing in an autoclave. This was a conversation I had with my surgeon Dr Kelly who made a point that he significantly invests in his equipment and each patient gets their own sterilized set. I also felt fortunate that I had his undivided attention as i was his only surgery on my date. He did an awesome job, no regrets.

Edited by apu

I went to a real hospital and they have a couple YouTube videos showing how they sterilize everything. BeLightWeight is Juarez at Star Medica hospital.

I am confused. Did you use BELITE and went to Star Medica? Was your Surgeon named JOSE Rodriquez? I am sure glad you had a good time there. As for my hubby and I, it was a horrible experience. BTW I am sorry I forgot to ask how you are fairing. My hubby also had the SLEEVE. The DR was good but I won't try Juarez, Mexico again. Have you got anyone to take you on for follow-up? I can recommend some great Bariatric Center. It is OHSU. There Bariatric center is top of the line and they do take other people that had their surgery's elsewhere. Good Luck

Edited by shedo82773

@Kristi Jacobs, I am in Alabama as well. May I ask you a question if its not personal? Did you try going through your insurance company and if you did why won't they pay for your surgery. I have BCBS of Alabama, my surgery will cost around $26,000.00 and my out of pocket will only be $25.00...Thank you God!! I too have heard good and bad about Mexico, some have had the best experience that you could imagine and others have dubbed it the place from hell to have surgery. Just do your research thoroughly and ask questions, but don't just ask questions, make sure you get satisfying answers to those questions. Ask about referrals. Good luck on your journey.

Hello, I have checked with my insurance several times. The company itself might cover surgery. My SPECIFIC policy absolutely excludes ANY type of weight loss plans, surgery, diet programs, etc. Which is ridiculous since I'm diabetic, obese, bad knees, and I could go on.

My goodness, that is awful, all plans should cover weight loss surgery. They don't realize in the long run it would save them money by clearing up so many of other health problems. It would mean less doctor visits and less medicine. I don't understand some insurance companies. From the first time that I thought about having the surgery to getting my surgery date which is this coming Tuesday the 19th, it only took 4 months. Good luck dear.

40 minutes ago, Kristi Jacobs said:

Hello, I have checked with my insurance several times. The company itself might cover surgery. My SPECIFIC policy absolutely excludes ANY type of weight loss plans, surgery, diet programs, etc. Which is ridiculous since I'm diabetic, obese, bad knees, and I could go on.

Yeah, my plan has a weight loss exclusion as well. Which is ridiculous considering how much money they would save if they covered it.

On 8/26/2017 at 2:19 PM, shedo82773 said:

I am not...but we lived there for 4 and 1/2 years taking care of my Mother in Law. We moved back home (Roseburg, Oregon) in 2017. Oregon has been our home for many years!! We really loved Idaho but my grandkids were here. They are so special to us!!!! Much rather be here enjoying them than why we were in Weiser. Small world!!! Forus to both have family in Weiser. LOL

Sorry we moved back to Oregon in 2007

On 8/22/2017 at 8:58 PM, JoeJoeMomma said:

I went with Beauty and Light which I was referred to from another friend local in Oregon. They were all wonderful. The main team I worked with all spoke English. Dr Gutierrez was amazing. Prior I had had 2 other orthoscopic procedures and was a train wreck afterwords. With the Beauty and Light team I had only slight nausea (They gave me meds for)post op no puking at all. I am almost two weeks post-op and feel great, a little tender on the left side but what would anyone expect.

I loved my team and Melissa, Nathan and Polo was great, and Dr. G is Magic.

Where in Oregon do you live? I live in Roseburg.

I had my surgery with Pompeii Surgical and I have nothing but positive things to say about them. Dr. Quinones was excellent and I was walking around 2 hours after my bypass. The clinic was very clean and I felt really safe there. What truly was amazing was how well the patient coordination team and especially Debbie took care of me and my teen son who accompanied me. He was taken out shopping etc. so he didn't get bored. After 2 days in the clinic we spent a few days in an ocean front villa that had all the food I needed and I got trained in what to eat etc. They visited us 2 times a day to make sure we were ok. I returned home on Wednesday last week and they have called me several times since then. All this for $5,500. They gave me a surgery date 3 weeks from when I contacted them first. Cannot recommend them enough.