Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

how much weight will I need to lose before WLS? BMI is 65

3 hours ago, ssflbelle said:

I was 497 when I started to seriously try to lose weight. I used 2 different weight loss plans and went to a gym to do sit down exercises as I am disabled and was not able to stand but 2 to 3 minutes at that time. I had a BMI of 80.2. I managed to get to 352 which was a BMI of 56.8 when I couldn't lose any more weight on my own and went to a Bariatric Doctor. He said my insurance requred that I be on a 6 month supervised diet even though I had lost all that weight on my own. During that 6 months I went through all the preop training and testing and lost down to 315 which is a BMI of 50 when the surgeon did the sleeve, repaired a hernia and took out my diseased gallbladder.

I would go to the Bariatric now so that the weight you do lose will count toward the supervised diet if your insurance requires you to be on one.

Holy cow! You should be congratulated for being a valiant weight loss warrior. That's an amazing loss even before you were sleeved. Truly inspirational in how far you've come.

Thank you all for your feedback and welcoming messages! I have been obese since childhood, so I feel like just arriving at the decision to have weight loss surgery is a big deal![emoji52]. I have spoken with insurance (BCBS of MN)and they require that I meet a whole list of criteria, which I was expecting. I already meet the obesity requirements, but they require 6 nutrition, MD supervised visits for 6 months, a psych consult and other bariatric program requirements. I am more than willing to make the life changes....but I need to prepare myself for the lengthy wait before surgery!!

Sent from my SM-G920V using BariatricPal mobile app

Thank you all for your feedback and welcoming messages! I have been obese since childhood, so I feel like just arriving at the decision to have weight loss surgery is a big deal![emoji52]. I have spoken with insurance (BCBS of MN)and they require that I meet a whole list of criteria, which I was expecting. I already meet the obesity requirements, but they require 6 nutrition, MD supervised visits for 6 months, a psych consult and other bariatric program requirements. I am more than willing to make the life changes....but I need to prepare myself for the lengthy wait before surgery!!

Yep that's what I had. Started the process in January & had surgery 7/26.
When my Dr came in he asked if I was ready and I looked at him straight faced and said I've been waiting for 7 months LET'S DO THIS!! He laughed, I laughed and we went to work. Right now I'm struggling with losing, I was hoping it would be faster. I'm on all these boards & FB groups seeing other people lose 60 in 3 weeks, maybe an exaggeration, but it sucks. Makes me feel like I'm already failing when I'm following my Dr's orders to a T.
Ok, sorry to ramble on there about myself ☹
You will do great and it does take time but remember it is for the better and you will be so much happier and healthier after [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G930T using BariatricPal mobile app

Yep that's what I had. Started the process in January & had surgery 7/26.
When my Dr came in he asked if I was ready and I looked at him straight faced and said I've been waiting for 7 months LET'S DO THIS!! He laughed, I laughed and we went to work. Right now I'm struggling with losing, I was hoping it would be faster. I'm on all these boards & FB groups seeing other people lose 60 in 3 weeks, maybe an exaggeration, but it sucks. Makes me feel like I'm already failing when I'm following my Dr's orders to a T.
Ok, sorry to ramble on there about myself ☹
You will do great and it does take time but remember it is for the better and you will be so much happier and healthier after [emoji16]

You aren't rambling because I want all the feedback I can get!! Hang in there and keep telling yourself that this is not an overnight procedure. It's a life change!! You will get there!May I ask what procedure you had?

One of the nurses at my surgeon's office said something about having to be below 500 to have the surgery but the surgeon never mentioned it. He said the emphasis was on following the liver shrinking diet, which I did, and lost 19 before surgery day, but still over 500. No complications.

You aren't rambling because I want all the feedback I can get!! Hang in there and keep telling yourself that this is not an overnight procedure. It's a life change!! You will get there!May I ask what procedure you had?

I had the DS

12 hours ago, court2180 said:

I had the DS

Was your DS surgery in 2013 or is that a typo? Your info also says you were sleeved. Were you originally sleeved in 2013? Just curious.