Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Attitude after surgery?

I'm going for my first consult so I am new to the process, but I'm curious to how you felt before and after surgery? I've read a lot of articles about how people's lives have changed for the good or the bad. Do you think these changes would have happened regardless of surgery? I think the surgery will be good for me but then I have my doubts afraid it will change me. Is this normal?

I'm going for my first consult so I am new to the process, but I'm curious to how you felt before and after surgery? I've read a lot of articles about how people's lives have changed for the good or the bad. Do you think these changes would have happened regardless of surgery? I think the surgery will be good for me but then I have my doubts afraid it will change me. Is this normal?

Six weeks to the day before my surgery I had a hysterectomy n it was stated to me that my attitude wud change. The hysterectomy was done on 10/19/16 n then I had the gastric bypass was on 1/19. I had the gastric bypass on 12/919+¥
K

I'm having my surgery Aug 25. I'm on my two week liquid diet now. When I was doing everything on my check list I was so excited , but when I went to pre op on 8/8 it all became real. My first day of my liquid diet was very hard. I'm taking it one day at time now and it's getting better. I'm finally starting to feel how did in the begin excited. Good luck to everyone on your journey.

I am 4 years post-op RNY. As far as the inner me, I did not detect any change.

But some individuals do. I think perhaps it might be expectations. They might believe that if they lost the weight, everything in their lives would change for the better - that overweight was the root cause of all their personal problems. It doesn't.

In my case I had the surgery because my obesity was causing me to slide down the slippery slope of bad health conditions (high blood pressure, diabetes, sleep apnea, severe acid reflux [Gerd]). The surgery corrected those conditions and I am very please to be healthy again. I also was pleasantly surprised on how easy it was to drop the weight because after the operation I lost my hunger. And I was also surprised by the fact that I went from a size 3X in shirts down to a size Small and from a size 46 in pants down to a size 33. It meant that I could shop in department stores again and replace my wardrobe with the latest fashionable styles.

Perhaps another component is hormones. As you lose weight, the chemicals and hormones that were stored in your fat cells are released into your body. These will pass through your kidneys and be expelled in your urine. But they can generate a flush of hormones during the weight loss phase and in some people dramatically affect their mood. This hormone rush generally simmers down once you transition into maintenance. It is important to meet your daily Fluid requirements, because it take fluids to flush these hormones from your system.

Another component to your question is how the outside world treats the obese you from the slim, fit you. People treat fat people differently. Some comments may rub you wrong. Sometimes this is out of jealousy. Some people perhaps may even wish you to fail because they are obese and do not want to follow your path.

As usual, @James Marusek is spot on and a genius.

On the inside, I am still the same person. I am a bit more confident for sure which makes me a bit happier but nothing vastly different.

Doing things is easier, shopping is more fun. But basically same old person.

But, your mileage may vary.

As usual, [mention=213093]James Marusek[/mention] is spot on and a genius.
On the inside, I am still the same person. I am a bit more confident for sure which makes me a bit happier but nothing vastly different.
Doing things is easier, shopping is more fun. But basically same old person.
But, your mileage may vary.

I might be over thinking everything... the main thing I guess I'm worrying about is I've read that divorce rate after WLS is higher, I know two people whom are my brother and my cousin who have had WLS and both got divorced afterwards... now I know there are always other underlying issues. I'm Head over heels for my husband and we have been they many things together so I'm hoping this will just grow us closer together.

I might be over thinking everything... the main thing I guess I'm worrying about is I've read that divorce rate after WLS is higher, I know two people whom are my brother and my cousin who have had WLS and both got divorced afterwards... now I know there are always other underlying issues. I'm Head over heels for my husband and we have been they many things together so I'm hoping this will just grow us closer together.

Have you and your spouse talked about the surgery and everything related to it? WLS was a several year goal for me and when my insurance finally offered it an option I asked to go through the process to see if I qualified for it. By that point we had discussed it as an option for several years. But when reality hit it was time to discuss everything and make sure this was what we both wanted. He assured me that he wanted to grow old with me. As a heavier woman that wasn't in the cards. I was then 41 with a heart condition that would kill me within 5-10yrs. Weightloss surgery was seen as my best option long term. He adores me and makes sure I try to stay on task with my eating. And I manage his diet and blood pressure, and such.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Have you and your spouse talked about the surgery and everything related to it? WLS was a several year goal for me and when my insurance finally offered it an option I asked to go through the process to see if I qualified for it. By that point we had discussed it as an option for several years. But when reality hit it was time to discuss everything and make sure this was what we both wanted. He assured me that he wanted to grow old with me. As a heavier woman that wasn't in the cards. I was then 41 with a heart condition that would kill me within 5-10yrs. Weightloss surgery was seen as my best option long term. He adores me and makes sure I try to stay on task with my eating. And I manage his diet and blood pressure, and such.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Yes we have discussed it. I've addressed my concerns about it, he supports me. He doesn't think I need surgery but supports me. I know I will be a happier version of myself if I was more confident and more comfortable in my skin. He was with me before the weight and loves me with the weight. I'm 30 years old, I have no other health issues that I know of (going to my consult Aug.23rd) and have a physical scheduled on the 28th. I want to live a long healthier life with my family.