Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Closer to GOAL than my HW!

I've been trying not to focus on the end goal and keep the small goals in my mind. Mostly getting excited each time I go down 10lbs. Seeing the numbers change has been really exciting the whole time. I just realized though that I'm closer to my goal weight than my highest weight! Definitely exciting to think about!

My highest weight was 311. When I saw that number at my PCP appointment I was in such disbelief that I weighed myself again when the nurse left the room. That was the same appointment that my PCP asked if I had ever considered surgery. I had of course thought about it for years but I was too chicken to even mention it never mind make an appointment with a surgeon. After a few weeks of realizing my health was declining and I had made countless failed attempts to lose weight I called to get a referral for WLS. When I met the surgeon the original goal, which was solely based on BMI, was 150. I'm around 5'6-5'7. The last time I met with the nutritionist she thought that 170lbs might actually be a better goal for me. I think that may factor in the possibility that I may have extra skin. Either of those goals still mean that currently at 227 I'm closer to the finish line then the start. This entire process has been different from what I expected but every single moment was worth it. There are still those days where it's difficult but reminding myself how far I've come is a huge help.

That is so awesome, keep up the great work! I hope to join you soon; I'm down -78.2 and have 85.8 to go. Almost halfway!

That is so awesome, keep up the great work! I hope to join you soon; I'm down -78.2 and have 85.8 to go. Almost halfway!

Thank you! It was definitely a great realization! Congrats on your success as well! You'll be there before you know it! :)

Thanks for sharing. Sounds like you've done a great job! When did you get sleeved? And how has the experience been different than you thought it would be? I have mine in 3 days. Very scared and nervous right now.

Thank you! I was sleeved on 4/20/17.

I guess I expected it to be a little harder and I didn't anticipate the mental changes that would come along with it. I know they remove the portion of the stomach that creates the hunger hormone but I think that part of it has had more of an impact then I expected. I don't really have cravings now at all I'm really just eating for nutrition/protein. Before if I had a craving I would obsess about it until I had that thing. Some times I'll want something specific but if I don't have it I just move on. That aspect has been easier then I thought. I've just been so used to struggling with my weight for 20 years that I was scared of messing this up too. I'm just thankful that I took the step to get the sleeve.

It's completely normal to be nervous before surgery. I was terrified up until they started the anestesia meds. Just focus on the benefits and how much it will improve your health. I hope all goes well in your surgery!

Thanks for explaining! I love getting insight from anyone who has actually been through this. And thank you for the kind words. I am trying really hard to stay calm and believe that I am making the right decision. Im scared though. So thank you. You are an inspiration!

It feels great doesn't it. I'm current 15ish pounds from goal (I keep bouncing up and down 2 pounds). It's hard to believe that I was ever that big but hard to believe it's possible my weight starts with a 1 as well :)

On 8/19/2017 at 0:21 AM, PJTaylor said:

Thanks for explaining! I love getting insight from anyone who has actually been through this. And thank you for the kind words. I am trying really hard to stay calm and believe that I am making the right decision. Im scared though. So thank you. You are an inspiration!

Anytime, I don't mind questions at all. It's just my experience and I know everyone has a different path. I'm so thankful that my doctor recommended surgery, I'm not sure I would have ever gotten the courage to bring it up myself. I would do it again in a second if I had to make the decision all over again.

5 hours ago, Sullie06 said:

It feels great doesn't it. I'm current 15ish pounds from goal (I keep bouncing up and down 2 pounds). It's hard to believe that I was ever that big but hard to believe it's possible my weight starts with a 1 as well :)

It feels incredible! Somedays I forget just how run down I felt from my body carrying all that extra weight. It's so much easier to move during exercises too. Congrats on your success! It's so exciting that you're so close to goal! :)

Congratulations on your success. Just reaching our small goals is so refreshing. I've set goal after goal and when I reach one I am surprised, like I did it. Keep striving

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using BariatricPal mobile app

On 9/22/2017 at 7:37 PM, carolynjackson said:

Congratulations on your success. Just reaching our small goals is so refreshing. I've set goal after goal and when I reach one I am surprised, like I did it. Keep striving

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using BariatricPal mobile app

Thank you! I love setting small goals for myself! It's helped a lot during the process. If I only think about my final goal it can seem like too much sometimes. Reaching all the mini goals along the way have given me a lot more confidence. I usually just went with celebrating 10lbs at a time. Right now excited to reach 100lbs lost since I'm 4 lbs away! Next mini goal is getting under 200! I've got my eyes on the prize!

Congrats on your success so far and best of luck! :)