Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi guys! It is my first time ever posting.

I am wondering how you felt before and after surgery? I am doing the Standard Duodenal Switch and am quite nervous. My surgery date is October 23, 2017. I wanna know about pain levels, how was walking after?, complications, how long was your hospital stay?, do you regret the surgery?....etc.

Also what's one thing you wish you knew before doing this? What advice do you have for me?

Thank you all! <3

I just had a true DS 3 weeks ago today. I stopped pain meds after I got out of the hospital, except for bedtime, & I was in the hospital for 2 nights. Walking was fine and the gas pains were less than when I had my sleeve. Since surgery I've had really bad gas pain and some Constipation due to not getting all my Water & fat it but I'm working on that. I don't have all of my energy back yet so that's annoying but hopefully in 3 more weeks I'll be ok. Is your surgeon a true DS Dr? Check dsfacts.com to see if they're listed. Unfortunately I hear about too many people thinking they're getting a true DS but they're not.

Sent from my SM-G930T using BariatricPal mobile app

Thank you so much for the advice. I hear the gas pains and Constipation can be worse than the surgery at times. I am trying to mentally prepare myself for this surgery. Since it will be my first time going under I am nervous. I appreciate your advice so much.

My doctor isn't listed on that site, but not even the other doctors from my area are listed but my next appointment I will suggested they contact the site to get listed but they are apart of the center of excellence and they always make sure to ask me what surgery and they write it down. The practice is father and son and I'm doing it with the father who does the DS because his son only does the loop DS. I heard bad things about it. After that I decided on the Standard DS and my surgeon and his son agreed because of my weight that was the best choice. All of my paper work so far has said Standard DS my god sister is doing the loop from his son and hers says loop on her paper work. I make sure to read and told them I'm the suing type so they been really awesome out everything. I've had a few friends get there DS too hey aren't truthful. I think they think I will back out but I just want to be prepared.

My advice, for what it's worth, is to be as calm and confident as you can. My sleeve surgery will be my seventh or so (tonsils, gall bladder, carpal tunnel, full hysterectomy . . .), and I'm totally not worried about going under (it's like you go to sleep, you wake up and it's over, and you don't remember the surgery at all). The real work starts post-surgically . . . well, except for all the clearances and the pre-op diet. But so far that's no big deal, either.

Find out all you can but also focus on what life might be like in the future.

Good luck!

Yes a good nap too lol!!

4 hours ago, XYZXYZXYZ1955 said:

My advice, for what it's worth, is to be as calm and confident as you can. My sleeve surgery will be my seventh or so (tonsils, gall bladder, carpal tunnel, full hysterectomy . . .), and I'm totally not worried about going under (it's like you go to sleep, you wake up and it's over, and you don't remember the surgery at all). The real work starts post-surgically . . . well, except for all the clearances and the pre-op diet. But so far that's no big deal, either.

Good luck!

Yes I plan to find out all I can and find out what others felt after. I just like mentally preparing myself for the bumps along the road. One friend hated everyone for months for letting her do the surgery because she was not mentally prepared to give up food or commit. I have been on this journey since Oct 2015. I meal prep to make sure I stay on the right track, I Have mentally prepared myself with the way I think about food but it's hard to prepare yourself for the aftershocks of surgery when you have never had one surgery. I started thinking if I should even be doing the surgery because I am so chicken, but I know it's the best tool I could ever equip myself with.

Thank you so much!

16 hours ago, court2180 said:

I just had a true DS 3 weeks ago today. I stopped pain meds after I got out of the hospital, except for bedtime, & I was in the hospital for 2 nights. Walking was fine and the gas pains were less than when I had my sleeve. Since surgery I've had really bad gas pain and some Constipation due to not getting all my Water & fat it but I'm working on that. I don't have all of my energy back yet so that's annoying but hopefully in 3 more weeks I'll be ok. Is your surgeon a true DS Dr? Check dsfacts.com to see if they're listed. Unfortunately I hear about too many people thinking they're getting a true DS but they're not.

Thank you so much for the advice. I hear the gas pains and constipation can be worse than the surgery at times. I am trying to mentally prepare myself for this surgery. Since it will be my first time going under I am nervous. I appreciate your advice so much.

My doctor isn't listed on that site, but not even the other doctors from my area are listed but my next appointment I will suggested they contact the site to get listed but they are apart of the center of excellence and they always make sure to ask me what surgery and they write it down. The practice is father and son and I'm doing it with the father who does the DS because his son only does the loop DS. I heard bad things about it. After that I decided on the Standard DS and my surgeon and his son agreed because of my weight that was the best choice. All of my paper work so far has said Standard DS my god sister is doing the loop from his son and hers says loop on her paper work. I make sure to read and told them I'm the suing type so they been really awesome out everything. I've had a few friends get there DS too hey aren't truthful. I think they think I will back out but I just want to be prepared.

Good luck!

This is great advice. My first surgery ever was horrible. It was emergency, I was alone, and I think the stress and circumstances really impacted my immediate recovery.

For my sleeve, I was shockingly calm, hubby was there cracking jokes and my my recovery was pretty much flawless. I can't drink very well, but am amazed at how well I feel.

Sent from my XT1254 using BariatricPal mobile app

I am 5 days post-op from duodenal switch. As of today, most of the gas pains are gone. There is still a little bit I am feeling in my shoulder. My abs feel like they have had the work out of their life. I have not been nauseated and I haven't felt any acid. Sure those thing may change but for now nothing.

I was really worried in the days leading up to surgery, but the day before and the day of I felt really calm. I owned my decision, it was happening, and that made me feel better.

I was in the hospital for three nights, and they managed my pain very well. The first night out of the hospital was the worst for pain, but I made it through. And that pain was from the gas inside.

My advice is do everything they tell you leading up to the surgery and after. Don't skip any steps or ignore any suggestions. And while you recover, walk your ass off. I don't think I walked enough in the hospital which is why the gas pains were so bad when I left. Walk, walk, walk. You won't feel like it. It will wipe you out. But walk as much as you can to get that gas worked out of your system.

You can do this. Just be patient with yourself and your feelings. Before you know it, it will all be done and the next step of your life will be underway. You can do this.

On 8/16/2017 at 6:20 AM, Mieko Tominaga said:

Hi guys! It is my first time ever posting.

I am wondering how you felt before and after surgery? I am doing the Standard Duodenal Switch and am quite nervous. My surgery date is October 23, 2017. I wanna know about pain levels, how was walking after?, complications, how long was your hospital stay?, do you regret the surgery?....etc.

Also what's one thing you wish you knew before doing this? What advice do you have for me?

Thank you all! <3

Hi Mieko,

I am about 5 days post op. I had a Mini Gastric Bypass. I have had 3 other surgeries prior to this one (c-section, gallbladder, ovarian cyst) so it wasn't my first rodeo... but I was still a bit nervous. For me, it mainly just felt really surreal. The great thing about anesthesia is that you close your eyes.. then you open them and it's done! There is no concept of time so it feels like it happens in a blink.

Day 1: When they brought me back to my room I was suuuper groggy and tired for the rest of that day. I was still able to walk around and I didn't have any pain at all, really. I did have a LITTLE discomfort from gas bubbles but it was so minor and I just went hard on Gas-X strips to make sure it stayed that way. I walked a lot on the first day, it was easy to do and it felt nice to get out of my room. The first night was very hard to sleep. Not because of pain or anything.. but I would just randomly wake up every 45min or so. The IV was annoying and the drain made it uncomfortable to move certain ways.

Day 2: All of the grogginess was gone, I felt alert and more like myself. I had to drink a lot of Fluid on this day so the gas was a lot more uncomfortable and caused a little pain but it wasn't awful. Still did my walking and sipping etc. By that evening I had my leak test and they removed my drain and IV (honestly the IV was the worst part for me) and they let my husband and I walk around the mall for about an hour that was across the street. Walking in the mall was pretty difficult that day. It was easy to walk, but walking at a faster pace was nearly impossible. I took a lot of breaks. That night, they gave me a Valium and I slept like a baby.

Day 3: Woke up early feeling fantastic and ready to head home. Used an abdominal binder to help with the bumps in the road along the 9+ hour drive home. IT WAS A LIFE SAVER. I highly recommend it for the first few days after you leave the hospital. I was in a little pain when I got home... probably from the long ride even though we stopped every hour or so. That night was awful. I couldn't get comfortable no matter how many pillows I wedged underneath myself.

Day 4: I hardly got any sleep and woke up sore from all of the adjusting and readjusting all night. I was tired all day and just altogether not a happy camper. I didn't walk as much as I should have but still managed to drink what I was supposed to. Still wasn't hungry, didn't miss food. That night I took a suggestion to wedge pillows on either side of me to help prevent the urge to roll over.. it worked! I slept great.

Day 5: OHHH what a difference one day and a good night's sleep can make. Day 5 was a breeze. Went shopping, did some light cleaning, cooked dinner for the family. I missed food quite a bit more this day. Not really cravings or hunger.. but it just felt wrong that I hadn't eaten anything in so long. I missed chewing I guess? lol I LOVE to smell food but I don't have much of a desire to eat it. Water went down so much smoother today and the Protein Drinks weren't as much of a chore. Slept fine, was even able to get rid of most of the pillows.

Day 6: That's today! I woke up feeling fine. Drove today for the first time, no issues. Bumpy roads don't bother me anymore. Sick and tired of sweet stuff. Sweet Protein drinks, sweet Vitamins, sweet popsicles... I'm a bit grumpy today, woke up feeling like ''am I skinny yet?'' but I'm doing what I have to do and drinking down this protein and counting down the days to eating a real meal... to be continued...

I had 0 complications and my hospital stay was 2 days. I don't regret the surgery because I know that in the long run all of this will be worth it. It isn't fun at first but I know it gets better. These feelings will never be as bad as how I feel being fat.

A few things I wish I knew or I'm glad I knew:

1. SOME people have gas pain. SOME people have nausea. SOME people have acid reflux. Don't be afraid because of someone else's experience. We are all affected differently and there is no point in stressing about things until they happen.

2. DO NOT let people project their fears on to you. MANY MANY people will tell you not to do this or not to do that because *insert scary reason here*. For me, it was about which procedure I chose and where I chose to have it. There were fears about mal-absorption etc. I chose that procedure because it was the best fit FOR ME. I and SO GLAD I didn't let them talk me out of it. Another one was about the fact that I decided to have it done in Mexico. I had AMAZING care in Mexico and if I had to do it again, I'd go to the same place. Just trust yourself and the decisions you've made and the research you've put in. Don't let people's fears sway you.

3. Don't go crazy having all of the things you'll miss eating. It seems like a good idea.. and it probably wouldn't hurt to do it once or twice.. but don't go overboard. All the weight that you'll put on from doing that (even just 5lbs) will be weight you'll have to lose and you'll probably regret it. Having this surgery isn't the end of eating. There will be times where you can enjoy a cheat day.

Now that this is the longest post ever I think I'm done. Sorry its so long lol

Edited by N0VA

On 8/17/2017 at 4:59 AM, ToSleeveOrNotToSleeve said:

This is great advice. My first surgery ever was horrible. It was emergency, I was alone, and I think the stress and circumstances really impacted my immediate recovery.

For my sleeve, I was shockingly calm, hubby was there cracking jokes and my my recovery was pretty much flawless. I can't drink very well, but am amazed at how well I feel.

Sent from my XT1254 using BariatricPal mobile app

Thank you so much. I may have to be alone if my hubby cannot get the day off and if my mom cannot stay and I am prepared for that. I hope my recovery goes as good as yours I am so excited for this journey.

On 8/17/2017 at 8:56 AM, DeathToHarold said:

I am 5 days post-op from duodenal switch. As of today, most of the gas pains are gone. There is still a little bit I am feeling in my shoulder. My abs feel like they have had the work out of their life. I have not been nauseated and I haven't felt any acid. Sure those thing may change but for now nothing.

I was really worried in the days leading up to surgery, but the day before and the day of I felt really calm. I owned my decision, it was happening, and that made me feel better.

I was in the hospital for three nights, and they managed my pain very well. The first night out of the hospital was the worst for pain, but I made it through. And that pain was from the gas inside.

My advice is do everything they tell you leading up to the surgery and after. Don't skip any steps or ignore any suggestions. And while you recover, walk your ass off. I don't think I walked enough in the hospital which is why the gas pains were so bad when I left. Walk, walk, walk. You won't feel like it. It will wipe you out. But walk as much as you can to get that gas worked out of your system.

You can do this. Just be patient with yourself and your feelings. Before you know it, it will all be done and the next step of your life will be underway. You can do this.

Thank you so much for your kind words. I feel really calm about my decision and I am ready for it, my mom says I have the surgery gitters and that its normal no matter how many surgeries a person has had.

I will remember to was my ass off because I hear the gas pain can be so bad if you don't. I am very excited for this journey. Thank you for your words. <3

On 8/17/2017 at 0:30 PM, N0VA said:

Hi Mieko,

I am about 5 days post op. I had a Mini Gastric Bypass. I have had 3 other surgeries prior to this one (c-section, gallbladder, ovarian cyst) so it wasn't my first rodeo... but I was still a bit nervous. For me, it mainly just felt really surreal. The great thing about anesthesia is that you close your eyes.. then you open them and it's done! There is no concept of time so it feels like it happens in a blink.

Day 1: When they brought me back to my room I was suuuper groggy and tired for the rest of that day. I was still able to walk around and I didn't have any pain at all, really. I did have a LITTLE discomfort from gas bubbles but it was so minor and I just went hard on Gas-X strips to make sure it stayed that way. I walked a lot on the first day, it was easy to do and it felt nice to get out of my room. The first night was very hard to sleep. Not because of pain or anything.. but I would just randomly wake up every 45min or so. The IV was annoying and the drain made it uncomfortable to move certain ways.

Day 2: All of the grogginess was gone, I felt alert and more like myself. I had to drink a lot of Fluid on this day so the gas was a lot more uncomfortable and caused a little pain but it wasn't awful. Still did my walking and sipping etc. By that evening I had my leak test and they removed my drain and IV (honestly the IV was the worst part for me) and they let my husband and I walk around the mall for about an hour that was across the street. Walking in the mall was pretty difficult that day. It was easy to walk, but walking at a faster pace was nearly impossible. I took a lot of breaks. That night, they gave me a Valium and I slept like a baby.

Day 3: Woke up early feeling fantastic and ready to head home. Used an abdominal binder to help with the bumps in the road along the 9+ hour drive home. IT WAS A LIFE SAVER. I highly recommend it for the first few days after you leave the hospital. I was in a little pain when I got home... probably from the long ride even though we stopped every hour or so. That night was awful. I couldn't get comfortable no matter how many pillows I wedged underneath myself.

Day 4: I hardly got any sleep and woke up sore from all of the adjusting and readjusting all night. I was tired all day and just altogether not a happy camper. I didn't walk as much as I should have but still managed to drink what I was supposed to. Still wasn't hungry, didn't miss food. That night I took a suggestion to wedge pillows on either side of me to help prevent the urge to roll over.. it worked! I slept great.

Day 5: OHHH what a difference one day and a good night's sleep can make. Day 5 was a breeze. Went shopping, did some light cleaning, cooked dinner for the family. I missed food quite a bit more this day. Not really cravings or hunger.. but it just felt wrong that I hadn't eaten anything in so long. I missed chewing I guess? lol I LOVE to smell food but I don't have much of a desire to eat it. Water went down so much smoother today and the Protein Drinks weren't as much of a chore. Slept fine, was even able to get rid of most of the pillows.

Day 6: That's today! I woke up feeling fine. Drove today for the first time, no issues. Bumpy roads don't bother me anymore. Sick and tired of sweet stuff. Sweet Protein drinks, sweet Vitamins, sweet popsicles... I'm a bit grumpy today, woke up feeling like ''am I skinny yet?'' but I'm doing what I have to do and drinking down this Protein and counting down the days to eating a real meal... to be continued...

I had 0 complications and my hospital stay was 2 days. I don't regret the surgery because I know that in the long run all of this will be worth it. It isn't fun at first but I know it gets better. These feelings will never be as bad as how I feel being fat.

A few things I wish I knew or I'm glad I knew:

1. SOME people have gas pain. SOME people have nausea. SOME people have acid reflux. Don't be afraid because of someone else's experience. We are all affected differently and there is no point in stressing about things until they happen.

2. DO NOT let people project their fears on to you. MANY MANY people will tell you not to do this or not to do that because *insert scary reason here*. For me, it was about which procedure I chose and where I chose to have it. There were fears about mal-absorption etc. I chose that procedure because it was the best fit FOR ME. I and SO GLAD I didn't let them talk me out of it. Another one was about the fact that I decided to have it done in Mexico. I had AMAZING care in Mexico and if I had to do it again, I'd go to the same place. Just trust yourself and the decisions you've made and the research you've put in. Don't let people's fears sway you.

3. Don't go crazy having all of the things you'll miss eating. It seems like a good idea.. and it probably wouldn't hurt to do it once or twice.. but don't go overboard. All the weight that you'll put on from doing that (even just 5lbs) will be weight you'll have to lose and you'll probably regret it. Having this surgery isn't the end of eating. There will be times where you can enjoy a cheat day.

Now that this is the longest post ever I think I'm done. Sorry its so long lol

It was a long post but it helped me feel so much calmer. All of the things everyone has/have said have really helped me and this is amazing. Thank you so much for taking the time to write this. I guess I am just a little nervous and it feels good to know I am not the only one and it feels good to know the aches and pains or how hard walking is or how easy it is. I guess I wanted to be more mentally prepare since nobody really wants to tell me the bad that comes along with the good.

I feel so confident in my decision. I can't wait to be more healthy. I have cheat days but its more like for date nights with my husband and I try to stay healthy and we no longer go and eat fast food and stick to restaurants. Again I thank you so much for this post. <3