Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

DUMPING IS REAL!!

I'm really getting frustrated reading all these comments from these "expert" sleeve patients saying dumping syndrome doesn't happen unless you have a bypass. Don't assume that because it doesn't happen to EVERYONE, that it doesn't happen at all. It's VERY real, and happens to quite a few. I am one of them. It happened to me first in my puree stage, my Dr advised mashed potatoes and gravy.. I had about three teaspoons and the wave hit me. I had no idea what happened or why I was sick, or even ever heard of dumping. It happened again once with potato Soup, and once with fat free frozen yogurt. Please stop assuming that it only happens to bypass patients. It's insulting to those of us who do experience it to be told it doesn't exist.

Per the mayo Clinic:

"Dumping syndrome is a condition that can develop after surgery to remove all or part of your stomach or after surgery to bypass your stomach to help you lose weight. Also called rapid gastric emptying, dumping syndrome occurs when food, especially sugar, moves from your stomach into your small bowel too quickly."

It's definitely not a "never" thing for sleeve patients, but it is much less likely to occur in someone who's had a VSG than someone who's had a bypass. I'm sorry it's happening to you!
Also, I have reactive hypoglycemia and it feels VERY much like dumping but I've had it for years...happens when I eat simple carbs.

I haven't had my RNY yet but have had ischemic colitis for years.
Basically you pass blood and get hot flashes and IMMENSE pain for hours and sometimes pass out while on the toilet (can you say embarrassing?)
When the urge to go hits you, you better run and find a bathroom!
I'm assuming dumping is similar?

Does your doctor advise eating all these carbs ?

I was under the impression you should be building your meals around Protein

She said the doc advised eating mashed potatoes.
Maybe added Protein Powder. ?

Mich W
Hw 223, SW 217 CW 192 GW 135

I feel like I have dumping syndrome now and I haven't even had surgery yet. I think it's a carb think with my diabetes.

I feel like I have dumping syndrome now and I haven't even had surgery yet. I think it's a carb think with my diabetes.

It's from all the liquids and Protein. I'm in the same boat as you :(

On 8/15/2017 at 6:19 PM, Mhy12784 said:

Does your doctor advise eating all these carbs ?

I was under the impression you should be building your meals around Protein

In my puree stage I was lucky to get anything at all in.. carbs are a big no no especially on Keto (which is my way of eating) but I needed some source of calories, so the soupy stuff is what worked for me.. Well, I had hoped! ha ha Now I'm 5 weeks post op and eat 20g or less of carbs per day. :)

On 8/15/2017 at 5:53 PM, Angie's_Ocean said:

Basically you pass blood and get hot flashes and IMMENSE pain for hours and sometimes pass out while on the toilet (can you say embarrassing?)

In my case that's hot what dumping felt like.. it was more of an all over hot flash, really nauseated (even vomiting), rapid racing heart rate, and the need to lay down for a bit until it passes.. It was ROUGH!! Now I'm afraid to try anything new, scared for it to happen again.

Hello All,
I had gastric sleeve done on 8/28 with no complications. On 9/26, I was admitted to the hospital due to ischemic colitis (with EVERY symptom you mentioned above including a broken ankle from fainting in the shower).
The hospital doctors didn't think the colitis is related to the WLS. I have some serious doubts; seems too coincidental ...any thoughts? Thanks in advance :)

Honestly, all the research I’ve read says dumping applies to RNY only. I will not discount your experience though, but maybe the mechanism is different. For example, some days my Protein Shakes go through me so fast I might as well drink it on the toilet but I also take medication to slow my rapid gastric emptying that existed way before surgery and is sort of a pre-crohn’s ambiguous area.

I hear dumping syndrome is useful in the long run because it’s so awful people learn to avoid trigger foods. I’ve experienced the foamies so I am definitely not unsympathetic.

3 hours ago, KateBruin said:

Honestly, all the research I’ve read says dumping applies to RNY only.

It is most common to RNY, but it most definitely is not regulated to RNY patients only. Even people who have not had any gastric surgery can have the symptoms of dumping syndrome. The only thing that qualifies it explicitly as dumping however is someone who has had a procedure involving the stomach. Anyone who has an adverse reaction to simple carbs/sugar and/or fats can experience all the misery of "dumping" of these things into the blood stream.

A diabetic who eats anything that spikes their glucose levels and starts sweating or racing heart, that is a form of dumping. As for being useful as a training tool, oh yes... it'll put the fear of god in you if you experience it just once.

I'm really getting frustrated reading all these comments from these "expert" sleeve patients saying dumping syndrome doesn't happen unless you have a bypass. Don't assume that because it doesn't happen to EVERYONE, that it doesn't happen at all. It's VERY real, and happens to quite a few. I am one of them. It happened to me first in my puree stage, my Dr advised mashed potatoes and gravy.. I had about three teaspoons and the wave hit me. I had no idea what happened or why I was sick, or even ever heard of dumping. It happened again once with potato Soup, and once with fat free frozen yogurt. Please stop assuming that it only happens to bypass patients. It's insulting to those of us who do experience it to be told it doesn't exist.
Per the mayo Clinic:

"Dumping syndrome is a condition that can develop after surgery to remove all or part of your stomach or after surgery to bypass your stomach to help you lose weight. Also called rapid gastric emptying, dumping syndrome occurs when food, especially sugar, moves from your stomach into your small bowel too quickly."

Yeap, it happened to me too with milk and oatmeal at different stages of the post op.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using BariatricPal mobile app

I have dumping after developing mirritzi syndrome and loosing my gallbladder to a horrific open sugery. The symptoms have lessened over the years.

Sent from my SM-G920T1 using BariatricPal mobile app

Yeap, it happened to me too with milk and oatmeal at different stages of the post op.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm about to have surgury and I'm a little concerned about that too.....was it the fat in the gravy and milk that seemed to give you the issues? I'm just curious

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using BariatricPal mobile app