Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Haven't told anyone

I haven't told anyone I'm having surgery. I live alone and am 45 minutes from the hospital. I'm wondering if I'll be able to drive myself home and care for myself. Any opinions welcome.

you'll be able to drive if you stay 2 or 3 nights in the hospital.

if you leave the next day, i would say no that's not a good idea.

on that second day, tell your nurses/doctor that you aren't ready to leave and you'd like to stay a second night. they should accommodate you. DON'T tell them you are driving yourself home. they will not like that and might not allow it. if they do allow it, they will withhold giving you pain meds that 3rd day before you leave. which will suck because there's still a good deal of pain going on that 3rd day.

the vicodin/percocet they gave me was not strong enough to make me unable/unsafe to drive. but you might be different so be careful. get an Uber or something if there's any doubt.

No, I can't afford 45 minutes in a cab. I think I'll just try to stay an extra day to be sure all is okay before striking off. I have a pretty high tolerance for pain. I just have to make it home. I don't have to worry about kids or going to work so I think I'll keep my secret for now. Thanks for the advice. Appreciate cha.

I was in hospital 4 days 1 day extra cause of complications from hernia surgery and could keep liquids down. When I left on 4th day I could have driven and was not on any pain meds. I think it depends on the type of incision - i had laparoscopic surgery. Make sure u have your Protein Shakes and Vitamins and first 2 weeks of food - not much you'll need but applesauce cottage cheese that kind of stuff - so u can just concentrate on healing and walking and eating the first couple of weeks.

Thanks for the information. My surgery is not going to be until late October if I'm blessed with the earliest possible date, if not, then it'll be in November.

My hospital required someone to drive me home. I didn't feel like driving either after a 4 day stay. Hopefully you have at least one person you can have pick you up and feel like you have to divulge the details of your surgery.

I have a high pain threshold too. When I had my sleeve 18 months ago I wasn't up to driving for a couple of days. I had a revision to bypass 2 weeks ago and could have driven when I came home on day 2, though I'm glad I didn't need to. I drove for an hour on day 5 and was fine. I second the suggestion that you don't tell them you're planning to drive yourself. Plan for a backup in case you aren't able to drive and can't stay. I haven't told anyone about my surgery, I said it was a hernia repair, so that's always an option too.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply. My plan now is to try to stay an extra day. If things are still not where I want them to be, then the hernia repair option is my plan B. Thanks a million.

Many hospitals have a strict policy of releasing patients to an adult to drive you home after surgery and especially when you're on pain medication. There's a possibility they could cancel your surgery if you don't provide that info during registration. And they usually bring you directly to the car and driver (in a wheel chair) that will be driving you home. I recommend you contact the hospital for their specific policies on discharge.

You may look into cabulance service in your area for non-medical emergency medical transportation. Does your insurance cover it? Something to investigate.

Thanks for the info. If I end up having that issue then I'll just have to catch the city bus and come back the next day for my car. But that's my when all else fails. I'll also make sure I don't take any of the pain medicine. I think I'll be okay.

Please take the pain meds, you'll need them. Hospitals vary, but my stay was 2 nights, the pain meds last 4-8 hours. My hospital had no issue with me walking down by myself to meet my husband this time, but last time I had to have supervision. Check with your hospital first to find out their policy, then figure out the safest way to get around it if you have to.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

On 8/29/2017 at 3:21 PM, Joei said:

Thanks for the info. If I end up having that issue then I'll just have to catch the city bus and come back the next day for my car. But that's my when all else fails. I'll also make sure I don't take any of the pain medicine. I think I'll be okay.

Check with the hospital as many won't let you take a bus home on your own after surgery. And don't assume you can stay an extra day to get around their requirements as the hospital may not agree to it and if they do it could cost you more money because your insurance might not deem it medically necessary.

Good luck!

Driving two days after a surgery like this is irresponsible. And dangerous. Not only you risk to injure yourself but you risk to injure also other people. We all start a new chapter of our life after this surgery, we need to rebuild strong mental neuronal nets that make us think in a responsible, wise way. Please be safe and make good choices.

Driving two days after a surgery like this is irresponsible. And dangerous. Not only you risk to injure yourself but you risk to injure also other people. We all start a new chapter of our life after this surgery, we need to rebuild strong mental neuronal nets that make us think in a responsible, wise way. Please be safe and make good choices.

I drove the second day from surgery and I was fine...my dr only gave me Tylenol for pain after surgery and when I went home...my daughter needed to get to work...I wouldn't call myself irresponsible...I had very minimal pain and no nausea