Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The last few are a struggle.

Hey everyone. I'm not much of a poster, but definitely a long time lurker.

At this point I'm at a loss, though and looking for some advise. Here's the short scoop:

Started high weight 230 (12/15)

Surgery date 216 (03/16)

Stand today at 150.

I have about 20lbs left to go to be a 'normal' bmi. I know that I'm a slow loser due to my low start weight (in comparison to most). My body seems happy at the 150-160 range, but I'm not happy here. I've been stagnant for about 6 months now.

Any advise for the last few pounds??

Thanks in advance!

Your body has reached its new set point. Losing more weight will be as difficult as losing weight preop, and as difficult to maintain that loss.

Others have discovered that (for example), to maintain 130lbs, they had to eat 1100 calories a day. To maintain 150lbs, they could eat 1800-2000 (they were also exercising).

So, you need to decide how important those last 20lbs are to you. You'll have to restrict your calories and exercise more to burn them off, then figure out how to eat/exercise to maintain.

What @Berry78 said.

The last pounds are the hardest for everyone. I am at a point where my body is comfortable and it makes sense to me, this was my HS weight.

I haven't really felt like putting in the effort to lose the rest, because I know it is going to be serious tracking, calorie cutting, and I'll have to work out a lot more.

Are you tracking your food?

I started at 212 and am at 150 right now. One year out today. I have to lose 9 more pounds to be a normal weight according to BMI. I eat about 1200 calories a day and work out a lot. I have a lot more muscle than I used too that's for sure. I am not sure I will lose the rest. But here's hoping. This was not really helpful to youA but our stats were so similar i just wanted to chime in. Great luck to you

Thanks y'all. I have been tracking. I eat about 1000-1100 calories a day & track my food. Might just put myself in more of a deficit for a while & see if that works.

It's all been said... the last pounds are the hardest because your body has reached its own goal--it's new set point--and it may not concur with YOUR goal.

I always call those last pounds the "vanity" pounds. You've changed your life, you've reaped a thousand health benefits. Those last pounds are to look good in jeans/a bikini/whatever.

Even if you aren't in "normal" range... those tables don't truly show health. There are actually studies done that show people slightly above "nomal" live longer.

Ask yourself why you really feel the need to lose those last pounds. And if they are worth the lifelong struggle to keep them off. Because that's what it will be. As hard as you have to work to lose them you will have to work harder to maintain them.

1000-1100 calories is lower than I anticipated. It's hard to meet lifelong nutrition needs on less than 1200. I would like to actually see you increase to 1200 -1300 for a while and see what happens. If you gain a few, don't panic. It'll come right back off when you drop your calories again.

Do you exercise?

You may be eating too little! Our bodies are careful to hold onto pounds if they are afraid they won't get enough calories. Figure out your resting metabolic rate (formulas on the web). Eating that many calories and exercising is a great strategy. To break a stall, another strategy is to have one day of high calorie intake (up to 2000) with healthy choices, try including avocado, nuts, cheese...and then eat about 100 calories more than you have been typically for the next six days. This can have a really great impact. Don't be afraid to try going up, and if you see a small increase in weight, stay on it and watch. Weight straining is incredibly helpful too. Best wishes!

The last pounds are a mother. I don't care, they suck. It took months to get to my initial goal. Enough that I finally just got happy and it was totally anticlimactic. Years later, when I lost baby weight and a little regain, I set my goal 10 pounds lower, out of the overweight range. It took 14 months to lose 26 pounds. No joke. I unintentionally got smaller than my goal, my body set it's goal even lower than mine - I just slowly kept dropping. But it was an agonizing process.

The usual stall buster logic prevails here. Increase or decrease calories, do vigorous workouts, increase Water - just shake the first few pounds loose. Usually more will follow.

Good luck, and have patience. It's tough.

Cheri