Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Work trip 10 weeks out. Need advice!

Hi friends,

Need advice from those of you farther out than me.

I'm going on a work conference a little over a month from now. I'll be there for 4 days, and meals will be provided by the hotel. My organization is great, and are more than willing to make accommodations if needed. I just don't know what to ask for or what I'll be eating by then! What were you mostly eating at 10 weeks out? What should I request?

I'm flying in a few days early to visit a friend and that will give me a chance to purchase a few things like Protein Shakes, cheese sticks, etc. I'll also request a mini fridge and microwave when checking in to the hotel. Any other tips?

Hi friends,
Need advice from those of you farther out than me.
I'm going on a work conference a little over a month from now. I'll be there for 4 days, and meals will be provided by the hotel. My organization is great, and are more than willing to make accommodations if needed. I just don't know what to ask for or what I'll be eating by then! What were you mostly eating at 10 weeks out? What should I request?
I'm flying in a few days early to visit a friend and that will give me a chance to purchase a few things like Protein Shakes, cheese sticks, etc. I'll also request a mini fridge and microwave when checking in to the hotel. Any other tips?
Hello Gabbee,

Well I'm now 10 weeks after Sleeve Surgery and I can almost eat everything.

Yet, my stomache gets a little upset after eating chicken or Meet (patty) or heavy/full-fat food.
When I eat stew or boiled veggies I can eat in mote quantities and stomache being less upset. Just stay away of peppers and spices and full fat food.
That's it for me...

I'd welcome any advices or comments

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

At 10 weeks, you should be eating everything (except bread/rice/pasta). If veggies were put on my plate, I'd push them away. Depending on what was being served, I would ask that sauces be put on the side (same with salad dressing). It is very important to be conscious of cutting off your drinking as outlined by your team ahead of your meals and after your meals -- probably the toughest thing for me at first was not having a cup of coffee after a meal.

At these kinds of events, if they do a continental Breakfast in the morning, do make sure you have either a shake or hard boiled egg or some other Protein before you go past the continental breakfast and keep some cheese sticks with you to snack on. Same goes for the afternoon break - just have a cup of coffee and chat - avoid those platters of Cookies.

I spent three days out of town 6 weeks out for my mother's funeral -- a big Italian job with tons of food and Pasta and survived by making smart choices where I could and just pushing food around on my plate when I couldn't -- no one noticed I wasn't really eating.

Best of luck!

Hi Gabbee,

You are doing all the right things! Will you likely be able to eat some of the food the hotel provides - yes. But better safe. I just got back from a work trip. I was approximately 2 months out from my surgery. I requested a fridge and brought along shakes, yogurt, cheese, and the like. For my Breakfast at the hotel I just brought my own yogurt downstairs and then got an egg from the buffet. People didn't question it.

The last thing you want when traveling for a work conference is to feel miserable. If nothing looks good/appetizing, then you can always have a shake in your room later.

Best of luck!

I found that the flavored tuna packets are great for travel. Also an easy way to get my Protein in, when I can't control the food prep.

I've enjoyed the small 1 serving cans of white meat chicken. I mix it with a packet of mayo, pepper and Parmesan cheese packet, all which I get from the cafeteria. Make a quick chicken salad. Quick easy and portable.

Also almond butter packets are easy. Small 2 tablespoon packets

take cubes of hard cheeses. They don't need a fridge

almonds

I can have Protein Bars at this stage.

Conference food, usually, salads with chicken or sandwiches. I have problems with chicken, it's way to dry( canned it fine) So deconstruct the sandwiches. The Protein will be plenty. Soft fruits will be fine. Some conferences I've gone to would accommodate a Soup request.

You should have no problem. Be mindful of all the crap floating around. Cookies, pastry and those bagels! Keep a easy protein on hand.

Good luck.

Edited by Dabearo

Such great advice and tips!! Thank you all. I've also sent a request to HR to see the meal menus ahead of time. That way I can decide whether to eat whatever I brought in my room or come down to eat with the group.

Just crossing my fingers I tolerate food well by then!