Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Which Procedure do you think is best?

So I'm leaning towards Gastric Bypass, but interested to know your thoughts on the sleeve? I'd rather not do the band. Tell me your ideas on the pros and cons of each?

Do you have type 2 diabetes? If so, how long have you had it and are you on insulin?

Do you have GERD?

Do you have a food addiction?

What is your BMI?

Although I'm happy with my sleeve, the gastric bypass is the gold standard procedure for those with obstinate metabolic issues such as diabetes, PCOS, and genetic obesity.

Gastric bypass usually results in a speedier rate of weight loss during the first year post-op and 70 percent excess weight loss due to restriction, malabsorption, and gut hormonal changes. Also, it is supposedly reversible.

The main drawback of gastric bypass is that it leaves some people metabolically challenged years after the surgery, priming them for rapid weight regain due to a phenomenon called intestinal adaptation. The intestines adapt to being bypassed by enlarging the villi and efficiently absorbing more calories, thereby setting the individual up for easy weight regain.

Another bypass con is the potential for nutritional deficiencies due to the malabsorptive component.

The sleeve's benefits include a quick surgery time (30 to 45 minutes), an intact pyloric valve, 60 to 70 percent excess weight loss, favorable gut hormonal changes, and reduced chance for nutritive deficiencies.

The sleeve's drawbacks include slower weight loss than the bypass, less resolution of metabolic comorbidities in some cases, the fact that it is an utterly irreversible procedure, and the potential to regain weight if one slides back into bad habits.

Edited by Introversion

When I initially started this journey, I knew I only wanted the Gastric Sleeve and nothing else.

If you have severe acid reflux (GERD), gastric bypass is better than sleeve because sleeve will only make the condition worse.

Too many people who had lap band surgery had to have a revision due to problems. The band will sometimes erode into the stomach wall over time and this can become a life threatening condition. As a result many doctors have discontinues performing this type of surgery.

It is really a personal choice. You have to live with the surgery no one else not the Dr, not us.

I chose the Sleeve for the desire to "leave all the plumbing in place". I was prepared to lose weight a bit slower (I am Beyond Happy with my progress so far!!!) for the sake of not worrying about the malabsorption issues that might accompany an RNY down the road.

Any thoughts of the Band were pushed to the side when I sat in the office of my surgeon and heard multiple patients talking about going fro the Band to the Sleeve because they were so dissatisfied with the Band procedure.

Do you have type 2 diabetes? If so, how long have you had it and are you on insulin?
Do you have GERD?
Do you have a food addiction?
What is your BMI?

Bmi is 50, I do not have diabetes, I get acid reflux once in awhile, I would say I have a candy addiction :/ I eat chocolate before bed...

Sleeve is a great option if you want a more minor procedure.

The Lap Ban is outdated and you should try to stay away from this procedure due to complications

The chocolate before bed.. if it's one small piece, no biggie. But if it's a pound, then the bypass could help with that by making you feel sick (dumping). Still, not everyone dumps with the bypass, and food addiction is best dealt with in a counselor's office anyway..

So I vote sleeve.