Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all,

I know that DS'ers have foods that they avoid that have them running to the bathroom. What might some of your foods be? At nearly 2 months out, I have Constipation and have always battled it since I was an infant. I take Miralax 3 X a day, colace, Fiber gummies, magnesium citrate 3 X a day and ingest plenty of liquid and added fat bombs which get me to about 150 g a day. This has also resulted in very little weightloss overall and in the last 5 weeks. I have lost 14 lbs since surgery and 4 lbs in the last 5 weeks. Although I go every day, they are rock hard and painful. I even tried sugar free candy because I have read that can have adverse bathroom effects....nothing. So, what makes you go? Any help is appreciated. My next step is to go see a gastro....which is the only other suggestion my surgeon can offer.

I'm 2.5 weeks out and have issues as well. I told my Dr Thurs at my post op appt and he said to up my Water and fat & get fiber gummies. He said I should be going 1-2 times per day but I'm going maybe once a day or every other day. I also have HORRIBLE gas pains. Hoping for some food suggestions on here!

Sent from my SM-G930T using BariatricPal mobile app

Although I hate this for you, I do feel better knowing that I am not alone. Gas X will aid in those gas pains. I ate them every 4 hours the first couple of weeks.

Definitely see a GI doc. You may have an extra long large intestine that is removing too much Water. (It can happen!)

I'm almost 5 years out from revision of Rny to ds.. anything high in fat or sugar gets me. I've been at goal a few years but I bounce around 5/7 lbs. when I hit that high side I usually eat buttered popcorn or a few Cookies. Gets things moving for me. You are still recovering though.. dr advice might be wise.

I'm struggling with this, too. I did use a glycerin suppository and it really helped, but that's really only temporary relief.

I'm 2.5 weeks out and have issues as well. I told my Dr Thurs at my post op appt and he said to up my Water and fat & get fiber gummies. He said I should be going 1-2 times per day but I'm going maybe once a day or every other day. I also have HORRIBLE gas pains. Hoping for some food suggestions on here!

Sent from my SM-G930T using BariatricPal mobile app

I was having some crazy horrible gas pains this past weekend, doc told me to try charcoal pills. Omg it's like night and day. Totally made the gas go away!

Band to SIPS/SA-DI/LOOP DS 8.8.17
HT: 5'6ish HW: 242 SW: 226 CW: 209 GW: Healthy

I have been having the same problem. Miralax once a day was giving me diarrhea, but not taking it had me constipated. I was given the ok to switch to Dulcolax (Colace generic) and that worked at first, but now is not working. They told me I could try some Senna, and I took that today so no results yet. I also took miralax today because diarrhea is the lesser of the two evils in my book right now.

My nutritionist advises low fat, low carb, which I've been doing pretty well with, but I'm wondering if a little higher fat would help.

Edited to add that I have also increased my Water intake as recommended from 64 oz/day to about 90 oz/day, and so far it hasn't helped much. I can't get as much Protein in when I drink that much but I'll do it if I get relief!

Edited by ChaosUnlimited

I have the same problems i am 2 weeks out as of tomorrow and my doc suggested i take stool softeners and i have been 2-3 every day and since i have been home from my surgery i have had 3 days where i had a BM and its getting annoying ever since i lost my Gallbladder 11 years ago after the birth of my son i have been struggling with this pattern of constipation/normal then diarrhea i dont know if this just impacted it?

I have my 1st follow up this Thursday and i will be addressing this with him.

Edited by Irisbramble

A tale of caution: All the laxatives I took kicked in at 3:15 am. At first I felt relieved, but then the toilet wouldn't flush and so started the bathroom games that would last for what was remaining of the night. I was trying to fix it and flush before my husband had to get up for work, but it turns out I'm a pretty ineffective plunger user, so my husband had to do it when he got up. What a nice way to start the day, right? If you're going to do what I did, perfect your plunger skills first!

Then it took me forever to get ready for work because I had to stop whatever I was doing every 10 min, including washing my hair in the shower, to go sit on the commode again. But when all was said and done I felt great and about 2 lbs lighter! I've been hydrating throughout the day and hoping I can find the combo I need to just be regular again.

I haven't had this issue yet. I'm pretty darn regular every day (knock on wood). I just experience horrible gas if I eat something with a high sugar content.