Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anybody have a trainer??

I am now 3.5 years post op, struggling with some regain after some serious life events.

A co-worker of mine has an incredible trainer at a local gym where she prepares for her women's fitness competitions. I am thinking about hiring this trainer to start working with me, but curious about how gym trainers approach nutrition, and specifically with bariatric patients??

I used to have a trainer, but don't currenty (pre-vsg). My trainer and I worked on strength training, but not nutrition. He did advise me to eat clean, but as he was a trainer, not a nutritionist/dietician, we concentrated just on form and building muscle in the gym. Depends on the trainer you choose and what you want to focus on. I've had friends work with trainers on building cardio endurance. I focused on strength. You set the tone. Just remember, most certified fitness trainers are not certified dieticians. They may espouse a certain eating style, but I would follow my dietician/nutritionists advice over a trainer.

20 minutes ago, Miss Topaz said:

They may espouse a certain eating style, but I would follow my dietician/nutritionists advice over a trainer.

I concur...most personal trainers are educated at the high school/GED level and earned national certification to call themselves personal trainers.

Just like anyone can become a real estate agent, virtually anyone can become a personal trainer.

A personal trainer is the last individual you'd want to ask for nutritional advice because you run the risk of receiving anecdotes or outright 'bro-science.'

Some personal trainers advocate low-carb/moderate fat/high Protein diets. Others espouse a paleo way of eating. Other trainers will just tell you to eat cleanly 80 percent of the time.

True enough. Thank you both for the insight. I tried to hire a trainer at my local YMCA in the past but this was a major barrier. They really condoned eating a high amount of carbs and I just couldn't do it.

I'm attending a new support group (only went once so far) but I think i'll also ask around at that group and see if I can find some referrals.

I share a trainer and it sure makes me accountable. I had joined gyms in my past. But never have stuck with it. Now I'm at 10 years post op and training. And I think they go hand in hand.

Yes it costs. So does food and health problems. Just my solution so I DO GO 2 x a week ! She kicks my ass. Not too much nutrition talk. Just clean eating

I have worked with several trainers over the years. Some of them went to high school and then got certifications. Others went to college and then pursued the certifications. Prices vary but the more education the trainer has meant the more I've paid.

My current trainer has extensive training including physical therapy.

When I first met him he offered nutritional support but I told him no thank you as I was already working on my pre op plan. I basically started on the Protein focused plan modeled off the post op (for life) plans the NUT gave me.

I'm his first WLS client but he has worked with clients who have had other surgeries etc...

I took 7 weeks off after surgery before I went back to see him. We've had three weeks back together so far and he has been very responsive. I get tired more quickly than pre op. He adjusts my weights or reps accordingly. We're doing some abs and back work as I have found post surgery they were weaker...i get tired and sore standing.

He mixes cardio in with weights. We do a lot of staggered stance work (biceps/triceps, shoulder press) as well as trx. We use the rope machines and the ladder (painted on floor and we do different footwork patterns) to mix in the cardio in our workouts. He also has me pushing and pulling the sled with 125lbs added on.

I've lost 82lbs total from my HW. I had him support me when I tried to pick up the 80 lb barbell. OMG. It was so heavy and almost impossible to move...picked it up and put it right back. I was carrying around all that weight all the time!

Sent from my SM-G920V using BariatricPal mobile app

this is my advice , from my experience... weight resistance training is the key , 1 hour 3x a week 2 body parts each session , mild cardio 20 to 30 min increments.. logging food keeping macros 30/30/40 fat, carbs, protein.. cutting good carbs out does not work , keep food clean but have small cheats.. cals 1200 I use fitness pal and works great .. as far as trainer find one who is well rounded with their clients , one that has , all different shape , sizes , ages etc... those trainers are the best , ask clients of potential trainer how they like them , if they keep their interest in you and is not looking around the gym while you are doing an exercise , pick a trainer that is going to teach you strength exercises so that when you are not with them can go and do on your own , down load an app that shows you exercises for each muscle so you can do on off days with trainer , do not need a trainer for 3 days 1 or 2 and learn to train on own.... " DO NOT WORRY ABOUT WHAT OTHER PEOPLE IN GYM THINK" you are there to improve yourself and if someone is watching most likely interested in weight movement your doing... trainers are not dietitians , if friend is training for a show , you do not want that diet , that is just a diet for an event , not long term , I am assuming much like myself getting the sleeve is to stop us from doing stupid yo yo diets for quick fixes , the sleeve was the fix now we have to use it to help us long term ... see your dietian for food advice , see a trainer for lean strong muscles that eat the fat cells like little pac man .. resistance training helps us look healthy and trim , without it weightless patients look like their wearing a skin suit when they lose all the weight .

I have lost 80 lbs and have very very little sagging skin .. proof is in the pudding , long term weight resistance and clean eating .

I've used trainers in the past. As mentioned above, there's a mix and match of education. I went to a woman who was both a dietitian and trainer. We worked on clean eating, cardio, and strength. Cost is something that would be subjective to the area you live in. I'm in the northeast, and it tends to be spendy around this area. I found a nice balance with a different trainer a while later, where I just worked on strength....really, depends on your wants/needs. I always went for the private studio experience over the gym, because I was self-conscious, so I was willing to pay for that. This was all PRIOR to surgery, so can't help on the other part of your question.

Now that I'm through surgery, I'll be going back to the second one I mentioned, focusing on strength. The other things I'll do on my own.

I have a trainer and he defaults to my doctor/NUT for nutrition advice. Any trainer that is decent should employ the same idea. If they can't acknowledge that they aren't educated enough to give that advice then you should be smart enough to know you need to find another trainer.