Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gym or no gym, that is the question

I have done the Exercise at the Gym before and yes it did become obsessive. 6 to 7 days a week, plus I worked and still had 1 child at home. But...not this time. I started walking right after my RNY. I started slow but I did walk every day. I now walk 3 to 4 times a week and I go 3 to 4 miles. I call it my attitude adjustment. I can be in a Pi**y mood before I go and by the time I get home my whole outlook is better. I think my walking has been my saving grace. Like I said I still love to get out there and walk it off!! My opinion is you don't need to go thru a gym at all. Just get up and move!! BTW I also sing and dance with my music blasting while I clean house. Any kind of movement is great!!

27 minutes ago, shedo82773 said:

I have done the Exercise at the Gym before and yes it did become obsessive. 6 to 7 days a week, plus I worked and still had 1 child at home. But...not this time. I started walking right after my RNY. I started slow but I did walk every day. I now walk 3 to 4 times a week and I go 3 to 4 miles. I call it my attitude adjustment. I can be in a Pi**y mood before I go and by the time I get home my whole outlook is better. I think my walking has been my saving grace. Like I said I still love to get out there and walk it off!! My opinion is you don't need to go thru a gym at all. Just get up and move!! BTW I also sing and dance with my music blasting while I clean house. Any kind of movement is great!!

this

Jess,

How did u managed no stalls?

Congrats on your weight loss by the way!! i go to the gym walk at different paces high and low i do 2 miles in thirty minutes. i started doing some leg and core machines and i stall constantly. i feel like i can eat a lot so yesterday i actually measured to stay on course i can eat 6 ounces now and today I'm 8 weeks post op. i get my Protein and Water requirements but i feel my expectations are to high i have already lost 40 lbs since my surgery but i have to lose another 6 lbs to be on course for my doctor by Dec 1st and I'm finding myself struggling. i really push myself at the gym more than i ever have but i see i still have cravings and i get hungry really hungry but i am really staying focused just getting a little bit down.

For many people working out on too few calories causes a big uptick in hunger! You might try slowing down on the workout while you are getting in so few calories. Weight loss happens in the kitchen not the gym, fitness happens in the gym. You may want to wait till you are six months out and start again at that point.

Also are you on an acid reducer, like a PPI--omeprazole or protonix? Acid can mimic hunger with gnawing empty sensation. I needed a higher dose of protonix for my first three months.

Stalls happen. Esp silly the infamous week three stall (can be anytime in the first month or so). Totally happened to me! And a stall is really 2 or 3 weeks of more at the same weight.

Be patient! It will happen!

On 8/20/2017 at 6:45 PM, jess9395 said:

Your skin went down due to your age, genetics, starting weight, number of times you went up and down the scale, ethnicity, etc. some people do quite well. But exercise doesn't affect the skin, no matter how many weights you lift or how much muscle you build. It may fill it up but won't impact the skin at all. science.

Sorry. That’s not science. Show me the science please. I’ll wait...

Exercise builds muscle by breaking down muscle fibers and rebuilding them. Anatomy 101.

Skin elasticity is not impacted by that process in the slightest.

If you want more than that you can use google or a basic anatomy textbook. Or search my post history I’ve posted links before.

I’m not going to do your homework for you.

Show me Science that says the opposite. I’ll wait. No actually my college anatomy class told me I would be waiting for that forever. Ain’t nobody got time for that.

On 2/1/2018 at 11:58 PM, jess9395 said:

Exercise builds muscle by breaking down muscle fibers and rebuilding them. Anatomy 101.

Skin elasticity is not impacted by that process in the slightest.

If you want more than that you can use google or a basic anatomy textbook. Or search my post history I’ve posted links before.

I’m not going to do your homework for you.

Show me Science that says the opposite. I’ll wait. No actually my college anatomy class told me I would be waiting for that forever. Ain’t nobody got time for that.

That really wasn’t science. That was a statement. So you really didn’t say anything. I don’t need to do any homework. I have lived exercising and weight training for longer than you’ve been out of high school. I have worked with personal trainers on and off for years. And... most importantly, I have experienced it for myself. I physically saw a reduction of my loose skin after I started working out and as I continued to work out, still losing weight, but not increasing in loose skin as I would have had I not been exercising.

That’s my science. My life. Say what you want, but nothing beats real life experiences. So...unless you’re going to call me a liar, respect that I know what happened to my body, and I have seen countless posts from people like me who have experienced the exact same results. I’ve been here for a while, way before I had surgery in 2016.

That really wasn’t science. That was a statement. So you really didn’t say anything. I don’t need to do any homework. I have lived exercising and weight training for longer than you’ve been out of high school. I have worked with personal trainers on and off for years. And... most importantly, I have experienced it for myself. I physically saw a reduction of my loose skin after I started working out and as I continued to work out, still losing weight, but not increasing in loose skin as I would have had I not been exercising.
That’s my science. My life. Say what you want, but nothing beats real life experiences. So...unless you’re going to call me a liar, respect that I know what happened to my body, and I have seen countless posts from people like me who have experienced the exact same results. I’ve been here for a while, way before I had surgery in 2016.

nope not a liar, just not familiar with the science. Correlation, as they say, is not causation. Just because you saw a reduction of the loose skin at the same time you started working out doesn’t mean the one caused the other. We often lose faster than our skin can “rebound” and it catches up down the road. That it happened when you stated working out is coincidental.

Science is more than anecdote (ie the story of one person, or even the story of “countless posts”). If you want to believe that, go right ahead, no skin off my nose. But the science doesn’t support it.

How old do you think I am, BTW? Pretty sure my age isn’t anywhere in my profile.

Ok I can’t leave it alone.

Ok, this is a more detailed explanation of why exercise doesn’t have any impact on stretched skin—

https://www.beachbodyondemand.com/blog/how-to-tighten-loose-skin-after-losing-weight

It can help fill it out with muscle (as I said upthread) but can’t make it shrink. It just doesn’t have any impact on collagen.

I typically prefer to only reference peer reviewed scientific studies, but scientists don’t do studies that go against anatomical fact. I don’t have access to an online anatomy textbook to post a link to.

If you’d like to post an article that assigns people randomly to either an exercise or a non exercise condition and then measures the difference in excess skin at the end of their weight loss, please do. Otherwise any scientist or statistician will tell you, you can’t say it was the exercise that caused the skin “rebound.” It could be any number of other factors.

On 8/12/2017 at 3:59 PM, AZBlackhawk said:

James - I love your posts! You give great advice and I always walk away with something!! Thanks!

Yes indeed. @James Marusek is the man! I ALWAYS read his posts and take something from it. I definitely appreciate his wisdom and advice.