Gym or no gym, that is the question

78 posts in this topic

True, still interested though. I have lost 76.5% of my excess weight at this point. No idea how much muscle I have retained. Hope to get it retested at my 6 months check up.

Berry78 likes this 1 Like this

Ok, so I got curious about the relative speed of excess fat loss.

This is what I've found out about my situation.

I have a sleeve which can usually be expected to shave off 65% of my excess weight. Since I'm already at 54% excess weight lost, (or so I thought).. I was like.. that doesn't sound right. So I dug deeper.

There is a neat calculator:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/morbidobesity/information/post+op+planner.php

According to the calculator, my "ideal" body weight is 147lbs. (I thought it was supposed to be 159lbs.) So I actually have lost exactly 50% of my excess body weight as of now.

I toyed with the percentages and I match up with 85% loss at goal (compared to 65% average). Which puts my final weight at 171lbs. My assumed goal has been 180lbs, so I'm thrilled!

It'll be interesting to see how working out changes things.

So according to that calculator I should weigh 138 lbs. I have set my goal at 149. 9 lbs because it gives me a normal BMI. I have calculated out from that number. If I am to get down to 138, I have at this point lost 64.5% of my excess weight. I'm still ahead of the chart, which has me at 70 lbs lost at 5 months, and I'm at 80.9 lbs

You are doing super fabulous! See, all that working out DOES do something! Lol! Love it!

I'm late but we have had this thread over and over...

Weight loss is almost entirely controlling your food calories. You can erase the calories burned working out for hours in a couple minutes with a bad food choice.

Exercise is great for overall health and fitness. Exercise is great for mental health and physical fitness.

Everyone should be walking. Walking is easy and low stress. Making sure you walk at least 2 miles a day is an easy way to achieve a decent level of physical fitness. Walking outside in a real environment is better and uses more muscles than walking on a treadmill.

You have to know yourself to know if exercise is right for you. When I workout with intense cardio like Zumba (which I love), it triggers stress in my body and my body holds on to fat. It also increases my appetite. So Zumba, even though I like it, isn't worth it for me. I am better off walking 5 miles on a trail. I can lift weights, no stress triggers, no appetite increase, so weight lifting is fine. Intense cardio is just counter productive for me.

I read this book several years ago, and then read it after surgery. Pre-op I found the diet choices for my blood type too hard to follow. While I could follow them not, the Protein choices are too limited to work for me right now. What I did confirm was what I always thought before, intense exercise is not good for people with my blood type.

http://a.co/8aMnFVC

I feel like Dr V advice is dead on. I think that waiting to go hard on exercise at 6 months (you should be walking every day from day 1 of surgery), is the best advice. You can eat enough calories to actually support working out. You can drink Water fast enough to replenish yourself and not risk dehydration at 6 months. You are healed enough with a daily calorie intake high enough that you can actually get something out of working out. Prior to 6 months, yoga and walking are great to get you ready.

I lost all my weight with just walking every day and controlling my diet. I do weights some times, I go to yoga semi-regularly, and I randomly go to crossfit to troll for men. I lost the bulk of my weight in year one just with walking, eating lots of protein and not eating carbs.

One of the best things you can do to really be successful post-op is to really know yourself, your strengths and you limitations. It allows you to make better choices and know what to avoid.

So are you, seriously.

It'll be interesting to see if we keep following each other.

I take nothing for granted though, it can slow down or stop at any moment.

I just did that test that Barry78 posted according to it I am 4#'s below my goal weight. I like that. I can not remember a time when I was under weight. LOL Granted it is only 4#'s but I will take it.