Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recovering addict wanting GB

Hi everyone I am new here, I'm going to my seminar to start the process for WLS tomorrow. I want to hear from people who are addicts/alcoholics who are sober whom have gone thru the process. I'm afraid that bc of my past history and medication I'm on for opiate addiction I will not qualify or my process will be harder. I'm a recovering addict for 3 1/2 years, from heroin addiction and currently working a program and on suboxone. This has worked for me. I had a c section a year ago I was on subutex during my pregnancy and under the knife. Which it was fine for baby and me baby healthy and no w/d . I'm worried that I will be judged and told to get off meds completely when I know what is working for me and what can work for surgery procedures... such as 3 days prior to surgery lower your dose and conitinue to take that lowest does with the opiates the dr has prescribed for a few days after surgery, and when u feel u dont need them then to conitinue to take your subutex like you would have pre op. I've been reading that cesections are much worse pain than haveing GBS but yes I know everyone is different. I am just wondering how your process went? I've also read up on people switching food addiction for drugs/alcohol/ gambling/ or having too many cats ... 😜 J/k but I would like to continue on the subutex after surgery bc I've been down that dark lonely road of addiction and don't want to do it again. Also I've read articles about after having GB that patients whom taken suboxone that the naloxone isn't processed into your body. I know this is a lot and I may be all over every place I guess I'm afraid I be honest with these people and get treated like I'm a drug seeker. Or if my dr is uneducated on the medication. But at least I know the experience I had before and how I felt the last time. I will hope and suggest that to them. Please tell your stories!!! I can't stop searching the web on WLS!! 🤗

If the suboxone you take is the film (under the tongue or inside the cheek), then there won't be problems with absorption.

Most of us only need pain meds the first day or two after surgery, so you can make a plan with your surgeon with regards to pain management.

It is a good idea to explore your own food demons to figure out whether there is a food addiction going on. Not every bariatric patient is actually addicted to food. If it turns out that you are, then you can get a head start working through that issue before the surgery. Replacing food with quilting or painting is good....alcohol.. not so good.

Congrats on making the decision to change your life! Good luck!

Speak to your suboxone prescribing doctor and also to your surgeon. I worked directly with a doctor that prescribed suboxone. This was part of a teaching hospital in a rural area with two main hospitals about 15 minutes apart. The suboxone doctor would coordinate with the surgeon to create a pain management plan after surgery. It was easier to do on patients with lower doses than on higher doses of suboxone (aka more wiggle room). This is by no means what everybody does but I thought it was effective. Another resource to ask would be your outpatient pharmacist or to see if the doctors need to speak to the hospital pharmacist. Good luck!

Walk 30 minutes each day, every day until surgery (or equivalent exercise). Walking helps the recovery process go smoothly and minimized the pain levels from surgery. After I left the operating room, I did not take any pain meds. I didn't need to, my pain levels were very low. I probably set a record for walking the halls after surgery.

Thank you everyone for your replys! I went today for the seminar, just filling out a stack of papers to fax in to get the ball rolling! Also I have Bcbs il ppo, a bmi of 50, was wondering how your process went with insurance will they require a supervised diet before approval? Trying to get surgery done before the new year... just in case insurance is picked apart and pre existing conditions become worse for us.

Thank you everyone for your replys! I went today for the seminar, just filling out a stack of papers to fax in to get the ball rolling! Also I have Bcbs il ppo, a bmi of 50, was wondering how your process went with insurance will they require a supervised diet before approval? Trying to get surgery done before the new year... just in case insurance is picked apart and pre existing conditions become worse for us.

My insurance process has been amazing. And I can tell you from years of fighting with them on other coverage issues, this has been surprising and dream to work with them so far! Lol, I have Medica and called them first to see exactly what I needed to do and what they would cover.

Since they don't do WLS at the only hospital in town here I had to go out of network and was told I needed to get a referral from my primary first. I got the referral and went to my first appointment June 16th to meet with the surgeon. From there we set up the 3 required nutrition appointments and the psych eval. I go in Sept. 18th after my 3rd nutrition appointment and meet with the surgeon and fingers crossed I will have RNY early to mid October! My insurance doesn't have any requirements other than I needed the referral, they leave the requirements up to the surgeon which has been nice. Less to deal with from a 3rd party! I hope your insurance goes over well too! Much luck and congratulations on starting this journey!

good luck Rucamama. you should be really proud of yourself.