Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 3 1/2 months post op, Gastric Bypass

Heaviest: 575 pounds

Day of surgery 489

Current: 444 pounds

My surgeon asked me to try and lose 50 pounds before surgery. I beat that by a good amount. Weight loss seems slower since surgery. I developed blood clots after surgery and went back to the hospital. Now on coumadin and that limits my salad eating as I have to watch my intake of Vitamin K. I am having some trouble staying under the 900 calories per day as required by my nutritionist. Working on finding new foods. Would welcome any suggestions on foods that are high in Proteins, low in carbs, and low in calories.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using BariatricPal mobile app

I found that softer foods such as chili and Soups went down much easier than harder foods such as chicken and steak. So I relied primarily on these. Sorry to hear about your blood clots. I have provided some recipes for chili and soups at the end of the following article. http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery.pdf

20 hours ago, mrdandean said:

My surgeon asked me to try and lose 50 pounds before surgery. I beat that by a good amount. Weight loss seems slower since surgery.

you lost the "easiest" weight on your own, and then some, before the surgery. if you hadn't done that, your initial post-op loss rate would be much higher.

but you did everything right and still losing almost 20lbs/month. you're right on track.

if you're struggling to stay under 900cal, i would suggest eating more solid Proteins like meat. avoid Soups as they clear quickly, leaving you hungry again soon after eating them.

Here is an article:

https://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/low-vitamin-k-foods-for-a-coumadin-warfarin-diet.php

Here's the thing. If you eat 16 cups of spinach every single day, they can give you enough coumadin to offset the vit. k content. And everything will be fine. The problem happens when you eat zero vit k each day, then suddenly have a salad.

Ok, so your nut wants you eating 900 calories, but how many are you actually eating? A big guy like you will still lose weight on 1100-1200, and that would be easier to stick to.

Here is my meal plan.. I eat the exact same thing each day (so it would work if I were on coumadin too). Before adding the spinach, talk to your doc that manages your coumadin. Explain that you want to add it, and promise to eat exactly the same amount each day. Or you can leave it off.

Breakfast: 4oz cottage cheese and 1 piece of fruit

Lunch: 2 eggs and 4oz Beans (black, pinto, etc), tablespoon of salsa

Snack: 1oz nuts or seeds

Dinner: 4oz meat or fish and 4oz fresh or canned spinach

Beverages: 2 cups coconut Water and 1 cup milk (I mix milk into my tea and coffee)

This is 1200 calories if you use whole fat dairy and put a little oil on the spinach. If you avoid the fat, it's probably 900 calories.

I actually can't fit all of each meal in my sleeve, so I separate the food into more little meals. Doesn't matter.

Hate cottage cheese? Replace it with meat. Scared of sweet fruit? Replace with some avacado.

For the snack, an ounce of Peanut Butter on celery is great!

Last thing.. they do make blood thinners that don't care about your diet. You could discuss that option with your doc.

you lost the "easiest" weight on your own, and then some, before the surgery. if you hadn't done that, your initial post-op loss rate would be much higher.
but you did everything right and still losing almost 20lbs/month. you're right on track.
if you're struggling to stay under 900cal, i would suggest eating more solid Proteins like meat. avoid Soups as they clear quickly, leaving you hungry again soon after eating them.

Thank you for the answer. I was wondering about soups.

Here is an article:
https://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/low-vitamin-k-foods-for-a-coumadin-warfarin-diet.php
Last thing.. they do make blood thinners that don't care about your diet. You could discuss that option with your doc.

Thanks for the article. I usually eat between 1200 and 1400 calories a day. I discussed the other blood thinner options and was told they were not tested on anyone my size, so they couldn't say for sure they would work. Said we will discuss it again after I get more weight off. Your menu looks pretty good. Think I will try that next week. Thank you for responding.

I found that softer foods such as chili and Soups went down much easier than harder foods such as chicken and steak. So I relied primarily on these. Sorry to hear about your blood clots. I have provided some recipes for chili and soups at the end of the following article. http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery.pdf

Thank you. I appreciate the article and the recipes.

Thanks for the article. I usually eat between 1200 and 1400 calories a day. I discussed the other blood thinner options and was told they were not tested on anyone my size, so they couldn't say for sure they would work. Said we will discuss it again after I get more weight off. Your menu looks pretty good. Think I will try that next week. Thank you for responding.

I'm a little bit less than you are and I am taking lovenox shots because I had blood clots before and at that time I was 400 pounds...the shots work just fine they just need the right dosage

I'm a little bit less than you are and I am taking lovenox shots because I had blood clots before and at that time I was 400 pounds...the shots work just fine they just need the right dosage

I took lovenox for a week and a half after I got out of the hospital. Then they put me on coumadin since this is my 2nd time with clots. I had multiple clots in each lung and 2 in my left leg. Doc said I seem to be prone to clots. Thanks for your resonse.