Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long did the process take for you?

Hi everyone! I'm about to start the process to get approved for surgery; insurance is requiring me to go to the doctor for a weight reduction program for 6 months and a psych evaluation.

My question for you guys that already have a surgery date:

How long did it take you from the beginning of the process to the time you scheduled surgery? Did you have to take any extra steps because of the insurance?

I was shocked that I didn't have any extra steps with insurance. Start to finish it took me about four months from first appt to get surgery scheduled (which I just did today)! I know it can be different for different doctors and insurance companies though.

Mine was less then 2 months but all carriers are different I heard Cigna take a while!

Sent from my Z981 using BariatricPal mobile app

Were you not required to go to a doctor for a weight reduction program first?

Hi everyone! I'm about to start the process to get approved for surgery; insurance is requiring me to go to the doctor for a weight reduction program for 6 months and a psych evaluation.
My question for you guys that already have a surgery date:
How long did it take you from the beginning of the process to the time you scheduled surgery? Did you have to take any extra steps because of the insurance?

I just got my surgery date today and my insurance also made me do a 6 month program that was non affiliated with the surgeon. I finished it last week, scheduled surgery today but now waiting for insurance approval (keeping fingers crossed) that we have jumped through all the hoops and red tape they require. My only advice. . Put yourself first and DON'T GIVE UP...6 months goes so fast! !

Sent from my SM-S765C using BariatricPal mobile app

I have FEP (Federal Employee Program) BCBS. It's a three month process under my plan. Three appointments with a nutritionist, to learn and lose. A cardiologist, a mental health provider, an endoscopy (due to a possible hiatal hernia), 2 support meetings, and blood work. Whew that seems like a lot!

Im on day three of earring healthier, and I already feel better!!!

xo

I have Kaiser. After my referral I went to their Bariatric Options orientation then signed up for the Options 12 week course. The course was 12 weeks of learning how to eat well, emotional health, exercise, vitamins... Things like that. Then after the 12 week course I saw their bariatric doctor who referred me to a surgeon. I did a lot of blood work and tests in that time, the surgeon required three more tests and once it was done he approved me for surgery. I am scheduled for August 29th which is just over six months from when I started.

I probably would have had the surgery earlier but my doctor is on vacation from Aug 3 - 27th. So I will get it right after he comes back!

Edited by KNJScorpio

53 minutes ago, KNJScorpio said:

I have Kaiser. After my referral I went to their Bariatric Options orientation then signed up for the Options 12 week course. The course was 12 weeks of learning how to eat well, emotional health, exercise, vitamins... Things like that. Then after the 12 week course I saw their bariatric doctor who referred me to a surgeon. I did a lot of blood work and tests in that time, the surgeon required three more tests and once it was done he approved me for surgery. I am scheduled for August 29th which is just over six months from when I started.

I probably would have had the surgery earlier but my doctor is on vacation from Aug 3 - 27th. So I will get it right after he comes back!

How exciting! I also have Kaiser and I was just scheduled for my orientation. I hope that my process goes quickly as well. :)

It will! It went really fast, the classes seemed to fly by! The only part that is going slow is now... Waiting for my day to come LOL.

Edited by KNJScorpio

My process will be 2 ½ months.

It took me 3.5 months from when I started until I was approved. My insurance no longer requires supervised weight loss. I'm on day 4 of my pre-op diet, surgery date is August 21st.

Also day 4 of pre-op, surgery 21st. Went to a seminar memorial weekend, that is when i started the process. Have lots of diets in my history.

It took three months because I had to go to the gym three times a week for three months. I also needed a psych evaluation.

I have Anthem BCBS-Ohio and Anthem required me to do a 6 months weight management program with my PVP. I started the program in January I missed my February appointment so Anthem made me start over. Because it had to be 6 consecutive months. They were supper picky. So my 6 months went from March to August. August 1st was my last appointment with my PVP. My info was sent to Anthem on August 1st and I was approved the same day . If you r insurance is as picky as mine do not mis any appointments because you will have to start your 6 months over. Oh I had to do a psych evaluation and blood work and all that. But I think that's the normal things that's need In general.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app